Makerbot 3D printer/prototype machine: Anyone have one?

I have one. My friend works for them.

it's sitting next to me right now.

Here's a chinese chess set i designed and printed out a couple days ago:
IMG_20110719_172347_display_medium.jpg

Chinese Chess set - Xiangqi by zenix - Thingiverse

I just modeled this, and the printer is warming up to print one out.
yUdMI.jpg

I'll post a pic when it's finished.

The model we have here at the node is a MakerBot cupcake with the heated build platform and automated build platform upgrades, mk5 extruder, and a filament box.

The thing-o-matic which you linked has a newer stepper extruder and a larger build chamber, among a few other things.

:lol:lol (Made me choke on my tasty beverage)

Well, now. That does have a certain cool factor to it doesn't it!?

Shoot you a PM in a bit with a few questions.

-Rylo

I just modeled this, and the printer is warming up to print one out.
yUdMI.jpg

I'll post a pic when it's finished.

The model we have here at the node is a MakerBot cupcake with the heated build platform and automated build platform upgrades, mk5 extruder, and a filament box.

The thing-o-matic which you linked has a newer stepper extruder and a larger build chamber, among a few other things.

I love that this thing can even print (hollow) with a honey comb structure for added support.

All for 1200.00 / Damn!

-Rylo

Thanks! Your pic answered one of my questions. I was curoius how clean the layers might look.

Thank you

From what I understand, the printed pieces always look way worse in photos than they do in real life. The camera flash seems to highlight the layers pretty harshly.

A Makerbot of some flavor is project #1 on my priority list after I finish building my CNC router. I really dig this stuff. :)

It makes the honeycomb pattern automatically to save time and material. The material costs about $15 per pound. It's 3mm diameter ABS filament. and no I wouldn't say WAY worse..... just somewhat worse. if anyone wants a print of something, just lemme know and we'll work something out

Very cool. It's a default option though, right? I mean, one could of course print solid if one were so inclined, right? :confused

It makes the honeycomb pattern automatically to save time and material. The material costs about $15 per pound. It's 3mm diameter ABS filament. and no I wouldn't say WAY worse..... just somewhat worse. if anyone wants a print of something, just lemme know and we'll work something out

They have a pretty cool scanner set-up, too!

From what I understand, the printed pieces always look way worse in photos than they do in real life. The camera flash seems to highlight the layers pretty harshly.

A Makerbot of some flavor is project #1 on my priority list after I finish building my CNC router. I really dig this stuff. :)

There is no separate soluble support print head, so you are limited to what you can

print. Resolution quality is rough, but for the price you can't complain.

I've had a stratasys FDM machine in my office for 8 years now.

The good news is, it's a step in the right direction.

Last edited:
You can choose to print with support material and it is supposed to create an easily removable structure as you print, but I have had limited success with this. On the MakerBot site they show some extreme pieces that printed well with support chosen. As with all new tools, it is a learning experience.

From my understanding, the yellow tape is heat resistive, and is holding the resistors to the nozzle. The resistors heat up the nozzle to around 220 degrees, and the abs plastic melts and is forced through there. The platform moves around, and the nozzle moves upwards.

The Stratasys uPrint machine can print in two materials, one of which is disolvable.

I've seen some makerbot prints that there are support shafts in certain spots to hold up the print.

I've been working on building a printer that uses the MakerBot electronics except that mine is designed to do machining as well. I have a blog on it here-
MultiBot

I haven't updated the build in a while as I've been unbelievably busy at work but I'll hopefully have it finished soon. From my understanding stepper driven extruders make a huge difference with a MakerBot or RepRap, with a worm gear extruder the king of the heap. The RepRap guys are also now building micro extruders that use a much smaller filament.

The hot end on my extruder is a bit different design as it is water cooled. From my research the big trick to the hot end of the extruder is that you want a very short transition zone where your filament goes from a glass to molten state. If too much heat transfers up the extruder tube the filament becomes soft and then it wants to collapse on itself while extruding.

Here's what my extruder hot end looks like. Its welded stainless steel with a water jacket around the filament feed tube. The nozzle is brass and uses a vitreous enamel resistor for the heating element. The CNC machining spindle I'm building will also be water cooled so it'll be relatively easy for me to swap from machining head to print head.
ExtruderHotEnd.jpg

The yellow tape is Kapton tape- got a roll of it right here on my bench. It's used to hold the ceramic insulation tape around the print head and is also used to hold things like thermistors to take temp readings.

If you want to see some really impressive prints check out nophead's blog-
HydraRaptor

His blog is well worth reading if you have or are thinking about building an inexpensive fused filament printer. He also offers kits of all the printed parts for you to build your own RepRap.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back