Majora's Mask

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Jester5891, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Jester5891

Jester5891 New Member

First off hello to everyone this is my first post and project on these forums (I just found out that I was on the imposter site when I posted this the first time, but that's old news to most of you I'm sure). I have some experience with replica prop building from building a Ghostbusters Proton pack, which was very complicated and time consuming but also very fun. However I decided I needed a new project that was not so intense. So I decided on Majora's Mask. It would be somewhat of a challenge since I have not really worked with clay like is before, but I will be in familiar territory with the mold. Looking through the forums I found some mention of the mask but I did not see any build theads. So maybe this will be a bit unique.

Anyway on to the build. The first thing I did was to make a template so that I had a perfectly simetrical outline to build the base shape of the mask which is a big heart. By the way I used plastalina clay (I think thats how its spelled I'm not at home as I write this so I can't check). Would there have been a better clay to use?

[​IMG]

Here it is all smoothed out and ready to start the detailing.
    [​IMG]

This is my first attempt at the eye detailing. They ended up being to close together. But I reused some techniques I learned from this. I found a coaster that had just about the perfect diameter for the eyes and I used that to press a perfect circle into the clay and mark where the eyes will go.
    [​IMG]

Here is the start of the second attempt. I was having a very hard time hand scribing in the detail lines that wrap around the eyes by hand. So I found that if I used a wire I could press it into the clay where I wanted the line to go and even get a kind of preview of the line before I pressed it into the clay. I could then go over it again with one of the many clay working tools (that I don't know if have specific names) I got for this and make the line deeper.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The eyes really make this thing creepy.
    [​IMG]

This is how it looks now all the details are in and I have the horns or spikes done. I didn't think I needed to do more horns than this since I'm making a mold and I can just cast them twice. Do any of you veterans think I need to do all the horns? I made the bases all uniform to the bottom of the PVC pipe I used to roll out the clay and then pressed that into the bottom of the mask where the horns will go so there is a recess where I can glue the cast horns into the finished piece. I think that will actually look cooler and more like its a wood mask with horns attached rather than a single carved piece.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So that's what I have so far. I will be using silicone to make the mold since that's what I've done before and I do have some undercuts with the horn recesses and I think silicone will be the easiest to demold. I'm interested to read if any of you have any suggestions, and comments.

2. deadbolt

deadbolt Sr Member

Wow, super cool! Great work, it's always nice to see Zelda related projects. And from my 2nd favorite game at that! :love

What are you planning on casting the final mask from, fiberglass?

-Carson

3. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

Looks really good and I thought it was creepy in the game but in real life its really freaky.

4. Szlemm

Szlemm New Member

Looks great!!!

5. MooMooEgg

MooMooEgg Sr Member

looks really good. (y)thumbsup:thumbsup

6. Jester5891

Jester5891 New Member

I'm not sure what I'm going to cast it in yet. I'd prefer not to use fiberglass since the resin really stinks. I tried a brush able plastic when I was making my proton pack, but it was way to heavy and hard to work with on a large scale. But it might be perfect for this. It was fairly brittle on its own but since this mask is just going to be a display piece that shouldn't be an issue.

But first I still have to find a way to get a wood grain texture on at least part of the mask. I think it will really step it up to the next level of realism (is that the right word to use with a fictitious object?). It will also hid the spots where I can't get the surface perfectly smooth.

7. everchanging1

everchanging1 New Member

Looks great so far! Any thoughts on doing a run?

8. NintendoLiam

NintendoLiam Member

Looks brilliant!
    Will be following ths thread :3
    Good luck with the casting process

9. Jester5891

Jester5891 New Member

Quick update not a ton has changed but I put a wood grain on the surface and "cracks" in the eyes. I think it looks pretty good. Also when its painted I think these details will really be interesting.

[​IMG]

Close up of the surface "wood grain"
    [​IMG]

I'm fairly happy with the results but what do you guys think? If I don't get any "omg what have you done that looks awful!?" responses I think it's time to start the mold. So I'll have to go and get those supplies soon, I hope next week.

10. Szlemm

Szlemm New Member

Looks great man, Defiantly dont get possessed by wearing it :p

11. jango trooper

jango trooper Member

Neat. Can't wait to see the paint on it!

12. Igniitus

Igniitus Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Dont paint it... cast it and sell them. THEN paint it!

13. NintendoLiam

NintendoLiam Member

This would be a cool item to have in your inventory!
    Make a copy for the mask sale's man ;-)
    It looks brilliant and i love the woodgrain, its the best MM i've seen

14. Jester5891

Jester5891 New Member

I should have been more clear when I wrote about painting the mask. I meant after I cast it in plastic or resin or whatever I decide to use. Painting this type of clay would be pretty dumb, as it would just peel right off. As for selling them I might eventually but I'm gonna follow the rules and get some more posts under my belt, also I need to be active for 45 days. But in the mean time I'll figure out the right way and material to cast these things so they look good every time.

15. PariahAU

PariahAU New Member

fantastic work! will be keeping an eye on this sculpt. *subscribed*

16. NintendoLiam

NintendoLiam Member

Jester, I have no experience in casting at all.
    But are there any that would replicate the feel of wood to some extent or texture
    Again wonderful work!

17. MooMooEgg

MooMooEgg Sr Member

Can's wait for the sale thread. I may have to pick up two... one for me and one for a friend.

18. Jester5891

Jester5891 New Member

I'm not sure what you mean, but the technique I used was to drag a wire brush over the surface of the clay and it made a pretty good representation of wood. In order to get knots and things I guess you would have to very carefully sculpt them. But this is my first time sculpting like this too so I'm just figuring things out as I go.
    Here is the tool I used.
    [​IMG]

I went and got the supplies for casting yesterday. I had forgotten how expensive the silicone was. So good news to all the people who are interested in purchasing one, as soon as I get the posts and time in on this site I'd like to try and reduce my costs a bit. :lol
    [​IMG]

Currently I'm just waiting for the hard shell to finish curing, and I can start my first cast. Here are some of the pictures of the process.

[​IMG]
    I mussed a picture in here but I'm sure you all now the drill I built up the layers of silicone to about a cm thick and filled in all the undercuts.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Jester5891

Jester5891 New Member

Just demolded and it looks great! this is my favorite part of the whole process. It looks like the silicone got under some of the clay parts but not too bad. Most can be cleaned up with a razor blade.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's that picture I missed with the last post.
    [​IMG]

Also when the hard shells cure completely tomorrow I'll clean up those edges.

20. HexHellfire

HexHellfire New Member

that is AWESOME!

21. Igniitus

Igniitus Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

super like

22. thehalfboy

thehalfboy New Member

I love this so much, and for the right price, I'd definitely hang that on my wall!

23. Jester5891

Jester5891 New Member

Update:

I have my first casting out of the mold and am dry fitting all the parts. In these pictures the main portion of the mask has been primed for painting. the pain is the next portion I'm trying to figure out. I'm not sure what type of paint to use so I'm testing some out and when I decide on some I'll post more pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can really see the wood grain texture in this picture (along with bubbles in the horns that I have to get rid of) Part of my hesitation with the paint is that I don't want to fill all that detail in. I need to find paint that will show all of that.

24. MooMooEgg

MooMooEgg Sr Member

Man, that's looking nice.

I was also wondering how people should paint the mask. Even though the game depicts the mask as flat colors, I always felt parts of the mask like the horns should have a kind of prismatic look to it (kinda like in the cover art).

If there was ANY constructive critique I could have, it would be that the 8 lower horns are a little too short and the 2 upper horns are a little too long and curved.

25. Palendrome

Palendrome New Member

I painted my Majora's Mask with acrylics and gave everything a coat of spray-on acrylic lacquer. SHINY!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  26. nick daring

nick daring Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Cool build! Can't wait to see the paint job.

Cover artwork
    [​IMG]

Game model
    [​IMG]

27. Dpeterson117

Dpeterson117 Active Member

Great game, great mask lol.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

28. Jester5891

Jester5891 New Member

So here's the paint test. I'm not sure I like the blue, and the orange at the top needs to be more yellow I think. As far as the horns go I have no idea how to get the swirly patterns that are seen in the cover art so I just made them solid. Also I might cast some longer horns for the bottom part. As far as the top horns I know I saw some concept art where they were curved like that and I thought that looked pretty cool. My goal with this was to make a replica that look as "realistic" as I was capable. Obviously the mask in the game didn't have the fine details that current games have so I had to improvise a bit. The horns were made at that length because I thought they were believable too long and pointy and they will look to cartoony. These I thought looked about right and a bit worn through time. I still welcome critiques don't get me wrong I'm going to test out longer horns today. I just wanted to tell you guys my thought processes behind what I did.
    [​IMG]

Also I did get kind of over eager to paint and skipped fixing the bubbles on this one. In the future I'll get those.

29. Buck Wild

Buck Wild New Member

That is absolutely fantastic! Incredible work!

30. Jester5891

Jester5891 New Member

I have still been working on the masks. Here is the proof. They're multiplying!
    [​IMG]

I thought of a solution or perhaps a compromise on the top horn curves. I was thinking that they could just be rotated a bit so that from the front(like all the pictures) they look straight but three dimensionally they have that interesting devilish curve to them. As far as length I've run out off materials for casting at the moment so the first few will be short for now, money is hampering development on that.

31. cama900

cama900 Active Member

:love These are absolutely incredible!

32. Sandman0077

Sandman0077 Sr Member

This is bomb dude.

33. MooMooEgg

MooMooEgg Sr Member

very nice. I think you should have a matte finish on the mask while putting a clear coat over the eyes to make them pop even more.

Regarding the length of the bottom horns, I think you should just cast more of the yellow bottom horn for all of the lower horns. that one looks like a good length based on the game art.

34. Buck Wild

Buck Wild New Member

These look absolutely incredible, but if I had to give some constructive criticism, it'd be...

In the game the bottom horns seem to spread out more, where as on yours they're all going at the same angle.

35. Jester5891

Jester5891 New Member

I think you may be right about this. So I tried it out in a test with all the yellow horns that I have. Here is the result on the right and for comparison the other horns on the left. Also I mounted the top horns rotated a bit so they look straight from ahead but have the devil curve to the back.

[​IMG]

36. Raizer04

Raizer04 Member

Ya this is scary. My daughter is terrified of the majora mask...i see why now...lol.

37. HellsPlumber

HellsPlumber New Member

These look amazing!
    Are you still planning to sell some of them?
    If so then I'd definatly be interested! :)

38. Jester5891

Jester5891 New Member

Yes I'm planning on selling these (when I'm allowed by the site rules, which I believe I need to wait a few more weeks) and then getting some more material to make a few more masks. Of the people who are interested what do you think of the horns and the lengths. I casted a bunch of the short ones before MooMooEgg suggested using all the yellow ones. So all I have to do is glue them on and they would be done, but short. I personally don't mind for the one I'm keeping for myself but I do see that I should have made them just a bit longer.

By the way I just want to thank all the people who have commented with suggestions and nice comments. They are very much appreciated. Looking through the posts I realized that I did not do that yet.

39. SKEV

SKEV New Member

I'd definitely want to buy one of these. These are awesome!

40. MooMooEgg

MooMooEgg Sr Member

Can't see the picture here. :cry

Have you also tried putting the bottom yellow horns on the top as well to see how it would look?

41. SKEV

SKEV New Member

I like your idea of rotating the top horns. They seem to be the right length. As for the bottom ones, like someone said, in the concept art they protrude at different angles, and they do seem a bit short. Also the very middle two on the bottom seem to have a little inward curvature on them in the concept art, but maybe that's just me being really picky. Everything on the actual mask looks amazing however, including the paint job. Great stuff!

42. Buck Wild

Buck Wild New Member

Hey, I know it's a big bump, but I'm just curious as to how this is going.

43. duke nukem

duke nukem Active Member

Thanks for the bump, Buck! These are sweet!

44. narnia2012

narnia2012 Member

This is AWESOME!
    Would be interested in one too :D

45. hyperbot

hyperbot New Member

The wood grain texture sells this item for you. When the horns and coloring are perfected I will definatly purchase one.

46. Buck Wild

Buck Wild New Member

Are these going to be wearable with minimal modification? Just curious.

47. Jester5891

Jester5891 New Member

Sorry for disappearing! I'm in the process of moving to a new apartment among other things. But I'm sure you all have heard those excuses before lol. The build is pretty much were I left off. Here is that picture of the horn test again since the link broke in the above posts.

[​IMG]

Also I feel like I need to adjust the blue color to more of a purple. I think I may have gotten that wrong. Depending on the picture of the mask, both in game and concept, it seems to vary from purple to blue. What do you guys think?

48. Gareee

Gareee Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think your colors are off. You have almost all primary colors now, and the box art has a lot of secondary colors mixed it.

Personally, I think the base mask color s more purple than blue.. you could always just do a base of purple, and then splotch in some blue.

The lower horns look more pastelly to me, with some splotched on heavier accents. Your base colors though are very strong, and darker.

Have you considered weathering in some wood detailng, so it looks like the paint is chipping off the wooden mask?

I love this idea, and am wanting one now myself!

49. Jester5891

Jester5891 New Member

Yeah I think I'll have to get or mix some purple and test it on one of the masks. I like the idea of weathering but I'm unsure of how to do it. I think if I were to weather them I should have started with a brown basecoat. As they are now all the masks I have are just grey underneath.

50. Rimwolf

Rimwolf New Member

Amazing work! I'm new to this forum, is there a link to the next run or do u do it from post.