Majora's Mask

Jester5891

First off hello to everyone this is my first post and project on these forums (I just found out that I was on the imposter site when I posted this the first time, but that's old news to most of you I'm sure). I have some experience with replica prop building from building a Ghostbusters Proton pack, which was very complicated and time consuming but also very fun. However I decided I needed a new project that was not so intense. So I decided on Majora's Mask. It would be somewhat of a challenge since I have not really worked with clay like is before, but I will be in familiar territory with the mold. Looking through the forums I found some mention of the mask but I did not see any build theads. So maybe this will be a bit unique.

Anyway on to the build. The first thing I did was to make a template so that I had a perfectly simetrical outline to build the base shape of the mask which is a big heart. By the way I used plastalina clay (I think thats how its spelled I'm not at home as I write this so I can't check). Would there have been a better clay to use?

IMG_0097.jpg

Here it is all smoothed out and ready to start the detailing.
IMG_0103.jpg

This is my first attempt at the eye detailing. They ended up being to close together. But I reused some techniques I learned from this. I found a coaster that had just about the perfect diameter for the eyes and I used that to press a perfect circle into the clay and mark where the eyes will go.
IMG_0104.jpg

Here is the start of the second attempt. I was having a very hard time hand scribing in the detail lines that wrap around the eyes by hand. So I found that if I used a wire I could press it into the clay where I wanted the line to go and even get a kind of preview of the line before I pressed it into the clay. I could then go over it again with one of the many clay working tools (that I don't know if have specific names) I got for this and make the line deeper.
IMG_0105.jpg

IMG_0106.jpg

The eyes really make this thing creepy.
IMG_0108.jpg

This is how it looks now all the details are in and I have the horns or spikes done. I didn't think I needed to do more horns than this since I'm making a mold and I can just cast them twice. Do any of you veterans think I need to do all the horns? I made the bases all uniform to the bottom of the PVC pipe I used to roll out the clay and then pressed that into the bottom of the mask where the horns will go so there is a recess where I can glue the cast horns into the finished piece. I think that will actually look cooler and more like its a wood mask with horns attached rather than a single carved piece.

IMG_0109.jpg

IMG_0111.jpg

So that's what I have so far. I will be using silicone to make the mold since that's what I've done before and I do have some undercuts with the horn recesses and I think silicone will be the easiest to demold. I'm interested to read if any of you have any suggestions, and comments.

Wow, super cool! Great work, it's always nice to see Zelda related projects. And from my 2nd favorite game at that! :love

What are you planning on casting the final mask from, fiberglass?

-Carson

I'm not sure what I'm going to cast it in yet. I'd prefer not to use fiberglass since the resin really stinks. I tried a brush able plastic when I was making my proton pack, but it was way to heavy and hard to work with on a large scale. But it might be perfect for this. It was fairly brittle on its own but since this mask is just going to be a display piece that shouldn't be an issue.

But first I still have to find a way to get a wood grain texture on at least part of the mask. I think it will really step it up to the next level of realism (is that the right word to use with a fictitious object?). It will also hid the spots where I can't get the surface perfectly smooth.

Quick update not a ton has changed but I put a wood grain on the surface and "cracks" in the eyes. I think it looks pretty good. Also when its painted I think these details will really be interesting.

IMG_0129.jpg

Close up of the surface "wood grain"
IMG_0130.jpg

I'm fairly happy with the results but what do you guys think? If I don't get any "omg what have you done that looks awful!?" responses I think it's time to start the mold. So I'll have to go and get those supplies soon, I hope next week.

This would be a cool item to have in your inventory!
Make a copy for the mask sale's man ;-)
It looks brilliant and i love the woodgrain, its the best MM i've seen

I should have been more clear when I wrote about painting the mask. I meant after I cast it in plastic or resin or whatever I decide to use. Painting this type of clay would be pretty dumb, as it would just peel right off. As for selling them I might eventually but I'm gonna follow the rules and get some more posts under my belt, also I need to be active for 45 days. But in the mean time I'll figure out the right way and material to cast these things so they look good every time.

Jester, I have no experience in casting at all.
But are there any that would replicate the feel of wood to some extent or texture
Again wonderful work!

Jester, I have no experience in casting at all.
But are there any that would replicate the feel of wood to some extent or texture
Again wonderful work!

I'm not sure what you mean, but the technique I used was to drag a wire brush over the surface of the clay and it made a pretty good representation of wood. In order to get knots and things I guess you would have to very carefully sculpt them. But this is my first time sculpting like this too so I'm just figuring things out as I go.
Here is the tool I used.
IMG_0150.jpg

I went and got the supplies for casting yesterday. I had forgotten how expensive the silicone was. So good news to all the people who are interested in purchasing one, as soon as I get the posts and time in on this site I'd like to try and reduce my costs a bit. :lol
IMG_0143.jpg

Currently I'm just waiting for the hard shell to finish curing, and I can start my first cast. Here are some of the pictures of the process.

IMG_0145.jpg

I mussed a picture in here but I'm sure you all now the drill I built up the layers of silicone to about a cm thick and filled in all the undercuts.
IMG_0147.jpg

IMG_0149.jpg

Just demolded and it looks great! this is my favorite part of the whole process. It looks like the silicone got under some of the clay parts but not too bad. Most can be cleaned up with a razor blade.
IMG_0155.jpg

IMG_0156.jpg

Here's that picture I missed with the last post.
IMG_0154.jpg

Also when the hard shells cure completely tomorrow I'll clean up those edges.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back