Magneto foam costume build

ecmuniz2

I wanted to make a new costume and I've always loved magneto's look from the x men animated series, so with 13 days before wizard world Sacramento con I set out to start!

Last edited:
I started out by making a duct tape dummy IMAG1123.jpgIMAG1123.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

IMAG1126.jpg

I then stuffed the dummy with newspaper and attached a red morph suite as a base
IMAG1130.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

then I started making templates for muscles
IMAG1134.jpg

made more muscles and attached with pins at first,then glued on with spray adhesive called super 76, great stuff!IMAG1142.jpgIMAG1142.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

here's some of the back and leg muscles, making sure to leave space in the middle of the back to unzip the suite ! the belt was made from good ol' Eva foam IMAG1156.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I took a break from the suit to work on the helmet a bit. I sculpt it with air dry clay IMAG1160.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

once the clay was dry I covered the clay with Vaseline and wrapped it in plaster cloth.IMAG1167.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

once the clay was dry I covered the clay with Vaseline and wrapped it in plaster cloth.IMAG1167.jpg

I then cut the player wrap and removed the four pieces, still very fragile at this time!IMAG1168.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I then used plaster wrap and duct tape to 're in force a bit and put helmet back together IMAG1173.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

IMAG1175.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

u then used fiberglass to reinforce and harden everything IMAG1179.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Then I used Bondo, this was the first application...IMAG1239.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

After a bunch of sanding and glazing this is what I had IMAG1243_BURST007.jpg

after a trip to the fabric store I sowed some pants and started painting gloves on the morph suite, such later turned out not so well and I scratched the idea and sowed gloved instead IMAG1183.jpg

I sowed some underwear and pinned were the shirt was going to get an idea of where to cut the fabric, at this point I decided he was too bulky and shaved off and reshaped some of the muscles IMAG1188.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I pinned the material to the arms then sowed the sleeves IMAG1205.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I then glued the torso and and back material using super 77 adhesive spray, did the same to the belt then used hot glue on the inside of the belt for reinforcing. The cape was just in place for general sizing at this time IMAG1213.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I couldn't wait longer and went ahead and used a red on the helmet IMAG1248.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I then masked off the areas I wanted to stay red IMAG1276.jpg3

- - - Updated - - -

And hit it with some purple spray paint IMAG1278.jpg
- - - Updated - - -

Un masked then hit it with a couple clear coats and voila! IMAG1282.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

when I was at the fabric shop I ran in to these Styrofoam balls and bought a bunch to cut in half IMAG1214.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I then used spray adhesive to glue cloth on to them IMAG1226.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

then I made a template for the collar IMAG1215.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

then I traced the pattern to Eva foam, using two pieces glued together to get the right lenght IMAG1218.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

after using some heat to shape the Eva foam I used adhesive glue to and hot glue for reinforcing to attach the cloth just like I did the belt IMAG1221.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I then started attaching the half balls with hot glue IMAG1227.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I attached the semi balls around the collar then hot glued a purple piece of cloth on the inside of the collar where my head will come out of IMAG1252.jpg. I also Went ahead and sowed a pair of gloves as I didnt like how the painted ones came out

Last edited:
I decided it was time for a fit test at this point as I hasn't take. The suit off the dummy and I was getting nervous to make sure I could put it on!IMAG1265.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

it fit IMAG1264.jpglike a glove !!!

- - - Updated - - -

it fit IMAG1264.jpglike a glove !!!

here is a moc up with the collar and the cape IMAG1258.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I made the helmet crest out of Eva foam IMAG1285.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

here's the crest painted and glued on IMAG1297.jpg

here's a pic from the con with a couple other 'bad' guys! IMAG1323.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I used an old helmet I had made from plaster cloth and cardboard as the base for sculpting the helmet :)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back