Mad Max Fury Road Nux Steering Wheel

DeLano80

Sr Member
This took me a very long time to finish... Sturdily constructed, there is no glue. The only paint is on the head. Nothing rattles on it when shaken. It is functional to use. The quick release works. I threaded everything where applicable and it is held together with bolts, screws, lock washers, etc. All the parts used except one are real parts. The interior holds a custom steel bracket that holds and supports everything. The weathering was created with chemicals or natural rust. It should hold up better than the movie wheels which fell apart during filming. Most all of the pictures of the original wheels available online are all cast stunt wheels.
I had a bit of help from a well known person who worked on the film that wishes to keep some of its secrets.
1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG
IMG_1402.JPG
IMG_1408.JPG
IMG_1411.JPG
IMG_1412.JPG
IMG_1416.JPG
IMG_1422.JPG
IMG_1424.JPG

I was going more for the look of this wheel that used the most original parts, and before the pieces fell off all the others:

1 (55).jpg

I also made the pre-production wheel. I decided I like it a lot better than what made it into the movie. I think it is more... I don't know... Elegant? Refined? Also, because I have a camera I do not know how to use, this appears a lot brighter and a bit more washed out than it really is.
1.JPG

IMG_1206.JPG

Here is the original pre-production wheel. I did not do the eyes nearly as well:
1 (75).jpg

A couple other Fury Road things I did:

Nux Bobbleheads
More info here:
Mad max fury road nux bobbleheads
1.JPG

The Razor Cola Skull

More info here:
Mad Max Fury Road Razor Cola Screaming Skull
IMG_0239.JPG

The Razor Cola steering wheel:
More info here:
Mad Max Fury Road Razor Cola Steering Wheel (FINISHED)
5.JPG

Building this wheel was actually very challenging for me. Hundreds of hours of research and a hundred plus emails.
I think I will retire from doing things like this now.
I'm done.
Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Very cool replica! And very cool to hear that it's fully functional. So does that mean you'll put it on your Chrysler Neon? ;)

Very cool replica! And very cool to hear that it's fully functional. So does that mean you'll put it on your Chrysler Neon? ;)
Hah! No.
I don't have a suitable car for this. I put it on one of my friends rat rods and drove it around a bit. Definitely wouldn't want to crash with it. It'd kill the driver I think.

Wow! Every now and then theres a build on here that just makes you say 'holy bleep!' This would be one of them :D

As a set of props these must looking stunning on your shelf!

HOLY TAR!!!!! THAT IS AMAZING! All you need to do now is build the rest of the car... ;-) JK of course. I always love seeing your projects. I love Mad Max as anyone can guess, and your work is TOP SHELF! As you mentioned you are taking a break for now, I find myself wondering if you are still going to pursue the Max wheel or looking for a Scott Injector Hat to finish out your Razor Cola Skull.....

I find myself wondering if you are still going to pursue the Max wheel or looking for a Scott Injector Hat to finish out your Razor Cola Skull.....
As always, kind words are appreciated. Are you talking about the Saas wheel for the Razor Cola? If so, I have that and just need to put it together when I get the will to do so. As for the Scott hat for the skull, I still plan to do that sometime. I am the kind of person that does things on a whim. I just need to get that whim again. I believe the last time you and I spoke, I was finding myself looking for a new job! I'm sure I'll pick that project up again sometime in the future. And yes, building one of the cars would be fun, but I think I would end up divorced if I took on a project like that!

As always, kind words are appreciated. Are you talking about the Saas wheel for the Razor Cola? If so, I have that and just need to put it together when I get the will to do so. As for the Scott hat for the skull, I still plan to do that sometime. I am the kind of person that does things on a whim. I just need to get that whim again. I believe the last time you and I spoke, I was finding myself looking for a new job! I'm sure I'll pick that project up again sometime in the future. And yes, building one of the cars would be fun, but I think I would end up divorced if I took on a project like that!
VERY glad to hear you are still building the Max/Razor Cola wheel. Also cant wait to see your Skull mounted on the Scott Hat! One of our good clients is building a Razor Cola. I have shown him your link to the Skull build and I am sure he will find ti super helpful. Likewise when you do the wheel I know he will be stoked to see that. Any thought on building a working Spike Strip dropper rig for the back of the car? You have my email, so maybe drop me a line and we can discuss that?

A European friend of mine sent me this picture. I've never heard of this magazine before. They call Fury Road the #1 movie of the century so far. I just like the cover picture.
thumbnail_image0.jpg

Look how much the head is deformed now. This is one of the wheels with the cast parts on it. Pretty cool though. This is one of my favorite props.

Last edited:
Decided to try my hand at making my own nux steering wheel. Just loved the one DeLano80 did.

I'll try to make some updates and describe the parts i've used should anybody need inspiration or encouragement to try as well.

So far I've got
the Longacre 15 inch steering wheel (still need to remove the cover);
a 1959 Cadillac interior door panel emblem
& Vauxhall Victor Chrome Horn Ring

Starting the hunt for some sewing machine parts... which is going to take some time I'm afraid.

Attachments

• nux wheel parts.jpg
    nux wheel parts.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 107
Small update:
I've found a horn bezel, also a Vauxhall Victor part (VX 4/90) and a match with the horn ring.
As for the sewing machine parts, I think most came of a 50`s Brother Galaxie or something similar. Unfortunately they are near impossible to find where I am. Luckily, similar Brother based machines where sold under various other brand names (Maritza, Vendomatic, Sovereign.. and more). So I have been able to source some parts.
The black dial looks lika a singer part, although I haven't found an exact match. I think it might be a standard singer knob asssembly with a different bolt on top. That will be my solution for now.
The bearing is a cheap steering stem bearing.

The dollhead is a place holder. It's harder than I thought to find a decent match. I've decapitated every doll in the house, but nothing seems to be a perfect fit. (On a side note: My kids are now slightly less enthousiastic about the project...)

The brass crosspiece is also elusive. I think it might be a brake line junction box or something (seeing as they used car parts), but haven't found anything that fits. Might go with some standard brass t-piece for water/gas if I can fiind something similar..

The base plate behind the bearing is still a mystery as well.

I'll try to keep updating as I source parts, hoping to provide you with a complete parts list

Attachments

• IMG_20220629_211133.jpg
    IMG_20220629_211133.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 185
  • IMG_20220706_154210.jpg
    IMG_20220706_154210.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 186
Shelved the build for a [long] while, not 100% as of yet.
> for notes.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back