Mad Max timeline, who Tom Hardy is, fixed by me.

Jamesfett

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Okay I love the OG Mad Max trilogy. I don't care for Fury Road, but recasting also drives me insane, as does messed up timelines, as well as, "hey just ignore the previous movies", etc.. Except for Bond, I really despise recasting and I hate prequals.

George Miller played coy, then said yes this is Max even though it makes no sense. The comic backstory just skips from the end of Thunderdome to just before Fury Road explaining how he got his Interceptor engine. That's it. He is younger than Max was in Beyond Thunderdome, the years are all messed up, etc., etc.. No, "oh he is a myth, the story re-told, got messed up," etc.. None of that!!!!!

So looking at the end of Thunderdome, which is really underrated, I came up with this. It's important to understand Max decided he wanted to stay and live with the tribe. This is a huge thing for Max. Then some leave, he rescues them and wants to go with them, but has to sacrifice himself so they get away. Having been sparred by Auntie, awesome BTW, he is last seen walking, however what he would likely have done is gone back to the remaining tribe to live peacefully.

So someone asks Tom Hardy and he explains what happened and who he is. Spoiler alert, he is Max's son.

Mel Gibson in flashback (y):D:eek::love: So Max takes his time gathering supplies to return to the tribe. He is careful to avoid any contact with Auntie and Bartertown as he does not want to push her mercy, but he really is not that far away from it.

He makes his way back to the tribe, which means they now know what happened to the others. He works with the tribe to build and thrive. They start going out to rescue people and explore.

Max meets an awesome woman and settles down to a happy life. Really, it's okay for him to be finally happy. They have a son, who grows up idolizing his father, and wants to be like him. They start re-building his beloved V8 interceptor together. Max lives to an old age for the wasteland, and dies peacefully as an old man, thus aligning with Hardy's age and the timeline for Fury Road which is way longer after the collapse than a 30ish Max could be in. After his mother peacefully passes as well, he decides the colony does not need him and wanting to be like his father, he goes deep into the wasteland, but unlike Max originally, he wants to help. Then as soon he gets the V8 it's engine, the comic happens, and he loses his way.

Fixed.

Someone feel free to steal this, and get it to George Miller.

This is nice fan fiction and all but ultimately Mad Max is a legend told in the wasteland and our viewings of the films are all loose interpretations of things that may or may not have ever happened. It works best that way rather a single continuous storyline of "confirmed" events and timelines because it keeps the door open for any number of other adventures and characters to enter the mythos.

I've been watching these new MM movies with the same head-canon. Tom Hardy is Mel Gibson's son.

Or if not his son, then Hardy is some kind of Dread Pirate Roberts person who took on the name. (Picture the feral boy from 'Road Warrior' growing up and fashioning himself as his boyhood idol, the original Max.)

Realistically George Miller just doesn't wanna deal with continuity issues. He's more open about hand-waving it than most filmmakers.

And you know what? I respect that. I think some other franchises have erred on the side of trying too hard to maintain continuity. Sometimes it's not worth the compromises & screen time.

Okay I love the OG Mad Max trilogy. I don't care for Fury Road, but recasting also drives me insane, as does messed up timelines, as well as, "hey just ignore the previous movies", etc.. Except for Bond, I really despise recasting and I hate prequals.

George Miller played coy, then said yes this is Max even though it makes no sense. The comic backstory just skips from the end of Thunderdome to just before Fury Road explaining how he got his Interceptor engine. That's it. He is younger than Max was in Beyond Thunderdome, the years are all messed up, etc., etc.. No, "oh he is a myth, the story re-told, got messed up," etc.. None of that!!!!!

So looking at the end of Thunderdome, which is really underrated, I came up with this. It's important to understand Max decided he wanted to stay and live with the tribe. This is a huge thing for Max. Then some leave, he rescues them and wants to go with them, but has to sacrifice himself so they get away. Having been sparred by Auntie, awesome BTW, he is last seen walking, however what he would likely have done is gone back to the remaining tribe to live peacefully.

So someone asks Tom Hardy and he explains what happened and who he is. Spoiler alert, he is Max's son.

Mel Gibson in flashback (y):D:eek::love: So Max takes his time gathering supplies to return to the tribe. He is careful to avoid any contact with Auntie and Bartertown as he does not want to push her mercy, but he really is not that far away from it.

He makes his way back to the tribe, which means they now know what happened to the others. He works with the tribe to build and thrive. They start going out to rescue people and explore.

Max meets an awesome woman and settles down to a happy life. Really, it's okay for him to be finally happy. They have a son, who grows up idolizing his father, and wants to be like him. They start re-building his beloved V8 interceptor together. Max lives to an old age for the wasteland, and dies peacefully as an old man, thus aligning with Hardy's age and the timeline for Fury Road which is way longer after the collapse than a 30ish Max could be in. After his mother peacefully passes as well, he decides the colony does not need him and wanting to be like his father, he goes deep into the wasteland, but unlike Max originally, he wants to help. Then as soon he gets the V8 it's engine, the comic happens, and he loses his way.

Fixed.

Logic, linear thinking and continuity are lost on this era of humanity. We are being conditioned for double think, yes 1984, and the idea of throwing away all facts and history for the collective runs supreme. Now, you not only can have dual disingenuous storylines, but you will be praised for doing so, as though that is more creative or open minded. But you are also expected to be the same about actual history.

I can see the events that you wrote into the gap, see them in my mind. A montage of moments, filling the gap in time. It works. Well done.

Logic, linear thinking and continuity are lost on this era of humanity. We are being conditioned for double think, yes 1984, and the idea of throwing away all facts and history for the collective runs supreme. Now, you not only can have dual disingenuous storylines, but you will be praised for doing so, as though that is more creative or open minded. But you are also expected to be the same about actual history.

I can see the events that you wrote into the gap, see them in my mind. A montage of moments, filling the gap in time. It works. Well done.

Thank you for the compliment.

Your explanation for all the contradictions, inconsistencies, and retcons makes a lot more sense then the creators just don't care theory.

It has always bugged me. I have never been able to understand why a creator, who works so hard to bring their vision to screen, would then just totally Fu#$ it up, and really for no reason.

Leia remembers her mother.

"Obi Wan once thought as you do." When?????????????

T2's message to Sarah is NOT the one Kyle delivers.

Max is NOT younger and a completely different personality than when we last saw him.

Rambo never liked digging tunnels. WTF!!!!!!!!!!! He also always has long hair.

I guess you can say Jack bartered the compass from Tia Dalma as a gift for his Captain?????

There was a narration on Blade Runner or no one would have a clue what's going on or know anything about Deckard.

Rocky was retiring after his second fight with Clubber Lang. Never addressed, nor was his #5 brain damage in #6.

Watch you own movies before you make sequels people, and care!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had high hopes for quite a few gold digger rewrites of fan favorites, sequels, prequels and similar.

I think Trek fans were at least given an excuse with how time travel had caused the reboot.

But, I do find that most of today's poor re-writes can be saved by inserting one magical line, "Somehow Palpitine returned." After that line is delivered, you just feel free to loudly eat popcorn and MST3K the movie openly/loudly without remorse.

I had high hopes for quite a few gold digger rewrites of fan favorites, sequels, prequels and similar.

I think Trek fans were at least given an excuse with how time travel had caused the reboot.

But, I do find that most of today's poor re-writes can be saved by inserting one magical line, "Somehow Palpitine returned." After that line is delivered, you just feel free to loudly eat popcorn and MST3K the movie openly/loudly without remorse.
Or, you know, turn it off and save the time. And popcorn!

Imagine an author in ancient Greece or medieval Europe, poring over a pile of manuscripts about Ulysses or King Arthur, tearing his hair out as he tries to fit his new story into the "continuity."

That's now how human storytelling worked back then.

Look at Geesus in the bible. Many researchers think the 4 big gospel accounts (or at least 3 of the 4) were probably written around 30 years after it happened. They were that close the source and those gospels are still riddled with conflicting info. Furthermore, there were tons more stories with even wilder variations. So many more that the early Roman church had to hold a council to officially decide which ones were canon. Those 4 conflicting gospels were the ones that actually made the cut. This was all totally normal for the era.

My point is that continuity was absolutely nowhere in the minds of most storytellers back in the day. A few people wrote "histories" and made efforts to stick to established facts, but they were the minority.

The modern franchise-era attitude that continuity matters is an anomaly. George Miller's hand-waving attitude is more historically normal.

Last edited:
Imagine an author in ancient Greece or medieval Europe, poring over a pile of manuscripts about Ulysses or King Arther, tearing his hair out as he tries to fit his new story into the "continuity."

That's now how human storytelling worked throughout history.

Back in the day the Roman Catholic church literally held a big council to decide what would be left in & out of the canon. They still settled for a whole stack of continuity problems. And that wasn't just a fictional "story" to entertain kids, it was sacred religious texts. It was the life story of a guy who lived only a couple centuries earlier, in the same empire, during an era of relatively good civilization & history writing.

The modern "franchise era" attitude that continuity matters is unusual. That is the historical anomaly.

Just because they retconned the time Napoleon and Cleopatra had dinner is no reason to mess up my stories' canon :p

Just because they retconned the time Napoleon and Cleopatra had dinner is no reason to mess up my stories' canon :p

I'd love to know how the stuff from our time gets jumbled up in the minds of future people centuries from now.

"Abraham Lincoln got assassinated in the back of a convertible because he nuked Japan to defeat Darth Vader."

Last edited:
I'd love to know how the stuff from our time gets jumbled up in the minds of future people centuries from now.

"Abraham Lincoln got assassinated in the back of a convertible because he nuked Japan to defeat Darth Vader."
Dude, that was last week.

That sounds like a much better movie than most anything we have got this century.

Start writing. (y) :p :love:

With the exception of the first film, Mad Max, the movies are pretty much relayed as if they were second-hand accounts. The Road Warrior begins with a voice over from an elderly Feral Kid, so he's telling the tale from a remote memory. The depiction of Max in subsequent movies is a tale told by a different subjective narrator, so they wouldn't have continuity with each other. This is why the V-8 Interceptor appears in multiple films, if even if it was supposedly destroyed in The Road Warrior.

With the exception of the first film, Mad Max, the movies are pretty much relayed as if they were second-hand accounts. The Road Warrior begins with a voice over from an elderly Feral Kid, so he's telling the tale from a remote memory. The depiction of Max in subsequent movies is a tale told by a different subjective narrator, so they wouldn't have continuity with each other. This is why the V-8 Interceptor appears in multiple films, if even if it was supposedly destroyed in The Road Warrior.

No. :p :D

1717616339815.png

Fixed.

You lost me at "Thunderdome is underrated."

Last edited:
Max's car in 'Furiosa/Fury Road' is a second one that he built after MM#2. They officially clarified it in the games/comics.

Not that it matters much. Miller is hand-waving continuity as usual. By the time he was doing FR he recognized that the car was part of Max's iconic image so he put it back in.

Same reason why people want to see Luke Skywalker flying an X-wing even if there are other better ships available. And Vin Diesel keeps smashing up his father's 1970 Charger but it's back again in the next movie. Etc.

Not that it matters much. Miller is hand-waving continuity as usual. By the time he was doing FR he recognized that the car was part of Max's iconic image so he put it back in.

It is just like how Sergio Leone did his Dollars Trilogy - Eastwood even had different names in each film (in the Italian versions) but retained the iconic poncho. Lee Van Cleef appears more than once but plays different characters - just like Bruce Spence in the Mad Max films, and arguably Hugh Keays-Byrne.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back