Mad Max: Fury Road Costume Thread

Anyone have any recent updates on the Grizzly Max bladder, and the rest of the setup? I know Karol has some pics but I've gotten that far and am kinda stuck. Can't find the yellow bladder anywhere, nor the belt

SADF M1983 Battle Jackets are drying up, or increasing exponentially in price. What is one to do? I approached this project from two angles, the first, to clone the M1983 Battle Jacket as altered for Fury Road; then second, cloned the M1983 with the alterations for Fury Road, as if it was factory designed vest, with factory seams instead of chopped up pockets, example the RH Panel dual cell magazine pocket made as single cell, PALS webbing grid installed for use of the Condor M4 and 5.11 Single Pistol Mag Pouches, etc.
I used some Textilene vinyl coated mesh, same mesh military uses to make field stretchers for moving casualties, some 1000d and 500d Cordura Nylon in Black and Coyote Tan498, gray 1/4" closed cell foam, 3/4" T-5038 nylon grosgrain ribbon/binding tape, 2 M433E1 HEDP dummy rounds, 8 rounds plastic 7.62 NATO linked (came with a Inokatsu FN MAG58 electric airsoft MG) and some velcro, 3/4" and 1" black and Tan498 solution dyed nylon webbing, to get me to this point:
I copied the M1983 Vest, copied the original style of pockets used on the vest then altered them as the Fury Road Propmaster, and I copied both the Condor MA27 M4 pouch in coyote and the 5.11 58711 Tan Single Pistol Mag Pouches.
The Propmaster cut the Condor 2 or 3 Mag M4 shingle style pouches into into individual pouches which resulted in the cut fabric fraying, making the pocket divider seam fall apart. You should use a heat source like butane lighter or hot knife to sear the woven nylon yarn to minimize or reduce the propensity to fray and fall apart. I also seared the cut edge of the RH side dual mag pocket that was cut at the divider to make room for the Condor M4 Pouch.
The photos seem to show the 8 rounds 7.62 NATO Linked were sewn upside on the vest, the steel links on the underside so they are easier to sew to the mesh.
The 2 M433E1 HEDP (Golden Death Eggs we called them in The Infantry) are tacked for now using 1" black elastic instead of the 3/4" black nylon webbing from the vest adjustment system. I'm waiting on some heavy duty 3/4" black elastic to better match the waist adjustment webbing the Propmaster used. Elastic will make it easier for the Ripsaw Imperator or Max, to chose to carry one or two grenades as desired (or tactical situation dictates).
I'll post the LH Panel Assembly with the relocated First Aid Pocket, Schrade Extreme Survival SCHF3N with a UCP Universal Camouflage Pattern digital camo scabbard cover I copied next, if this post survives moderation.

Attachments

• AA M1983 RH1.jpg
    AA M1983 RH1.jpg
    944.8 KB · Views: 65
  • AA M1983 RH2.jpg
    AA M1983 RH2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 71
Ripsaw Imperator's LH Panel mocked up. The scabbard "cover" is genuine GI 1000d Cordura Nylon UCP fabric, 1" UCP printed T-5038 grosgrain/binding tape (pics show Spec Ops used Foliage Green 504 binding instead). A twin 5.11 Pistol Mag Pouch, that popped up after I started this, I used it to make my pattern details better. Even has the FG504 enamelled brass #00 grommets.
I made the M1983 First Aid Pocket complete with its own backing, a Tan498 #00 grommett in corner to retain a military style Individual First Aid Kit insert I copied in same Tan498 1000d Cordura Nylon.
My idea is to tack a vertical strip of 1" AA-55301 black nylon webbing with a #0 black oxided grommet at the top, to zip tie the Schrade SCHF3N knife scabbard to like Propmaster did.
Two rows of 1" black nylon AA-55301 PALS at the top for a single black 5.11 pistol mag pouch (with flap tucked in or torn off, the velcro pad removed from the pocket as in the movie prop). My Beretta M9 Magazine does not fit in the 5.11 pouch, upside down with the base pad first .
Three rows of 4 columns 1" black nylon AA-55301 PALS grid under the Knife and to the right of the IFAK for attaching the Condor M4 single mag pouches. The black M4 Pouch is Condor, the Tan498 is my own copy I made from photos before having an MA27 on hand to copy.
The rear panel assembly, I have 2 cut, one is about 2 in wider to allow a full 100oz bladder to fit between the Tan498 pack assembly and the mesh backing. The other is a direct copy of the M1983, both I used YK #8 black coil zipper instead of the #5, #8 is stronger and it is what I had on hand.
Now one of the tricks I learned in the WWII hobby, gear fakers used to throw their gear copies in a cement mixer with rocks and dirt to impart artificial wear and tear. The Chris Reeve Pacific Scabbard used in the movie, it looks like Propmaster used an angle grinder along the high spots and edge binding to impart artificial wear patterns.

Attachments

• AA LH PANEL1.jpg
    AA LH PANEL1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 71

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back