Mad Max: Fury Road Costume Thread

New picture showing off my jacket.
IMG_20160205_085222M_zps16ka61iu.jpg

So Under Armor Valsetz boots are starting to get harder to come by now. Any leads?

And is there a difference between timber and tree camo? As I've found some in the latter, and they don't look that much different to me.

Thanks.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

Regarding the DonJoy knee brace Max wears; it is on his left leg. If I modified a a right leg knee brace, would it still be suitable?

The reason I ask is because it's hard to find any affordable knee braces in my size.

Hi guys, I think this is my first RPF post. Am working on a Max Fury Road vest for Wasteland Weekend. I won't be Max but will be wearing a similar vest. Have the South African M83 vest but somehow seem to be working on the knife first. The Chris Reeve Pacific knife in the movie is $325, so that's not happening. On his Ripsaw Imperator vest page, Karol suggests the Schrade Extreme SCHF3 Survival Fixed Blade, which is very similar in design. Its similar but there are enough differences that I want to modify it to look closer to the movie blade. The grip is also too big for my small hands, so that will get dealt with as well.

First pic is the the Reeve knife, followed by the Schrade before mods. Next pic shows the knife with sanded down grips and two finger bumps removed. Next we add the six grooves in the blade and grip. Last pic shows mods done including sheath mods (shorten and paint).

Still need to paint the blade areas I worked on, cut three notches in the rear of the grip and weather the sheath. The grip on the Reeve knife is sandblasted micarta. My sandblaster is not working at the moment so I just wire wheeled the micarta grip pieces. Will sandblast them before September...

Project is now pretty much done. Need to rub some dust into the sheath, find some foliage green paracord for mounting the bottom part of the sheath and sandblast the grips.

As was working on the sheath I was wondering how the bottom fastens to the vest. The top has a zip tie, but there do not seem to be any on the bottom, so its off to the bluray for some screen shots. These shots were all taken from the movie itself, not from any of the extra features.

The zip tie

The bottom of the sheath appears to be tied on with para cord, but there seem to be two configurations as well as right/left knife positions.

Para cord coming from under the sheath into the third eyelet from the bottom. I have a number of pics with this confiuration. Note also the fabric wear patterns on the sheath and the color of the top flap.

Para cord going into the second eyelet in a different configuration. Note also the difference in fabric wear patterns and flap color compared to the first pic. They appear to be two different vests.

Last pic from the night scene at the Vuvulani camp, showing the paracord on the other side of the sheath. Note also that the knife facing is reversed in this scene. I think its the only scene where the knife faces this direction.

And few shots of the upper 5.11 ammo pouches taken in an attempt to figure out how they were attached at the top.

Top left pouch showing what appears to be zip tie holding the top of the pouch to the vest. Also shows the top flap tucked into the pouch. Bottom is held on by the pouch's Molle strap going under the vest strap.

Top right pouches with no sign of a zip tie, although there appears to be a heavy thread that could be holding the pouch to the vest, shown near the green dots in the pic.

Last edited:
Going all the way back to this:
I'm wondering now if the plate is indeed the same one from the older films but wrapped in leather and a bit of padding on the side to make it look rounder on the edges. The texture certainly does look like leather in certain pictures.

I don't recall any confirmation of this popping up(I may have missed it). I just grabbed this from the blu-ray special features:
pad.jpg

I may be mistaken, but that sure looks like scuffed up leather to me.

Hey guys! I've been watching this thread for a while, and I've got to say.....I am really impressed on what's going on! I don't know if it's been posted, but has anyone attempted to create that "seatbelt strap/sling" for the shotgun? I've had some ideas myself, but I lack the materials (and money, for now) to test them out. Thanks! Wonderful work you guys have!

Not sure why my post got deleted...I had asked if anyone could help me with the 3D print files for the pieces for Furiosa's arm/glove? I have the printer, I just need help with the actual modelling of the files, and am willing to pay someone to help me with it.

Not sure why my post got deleted...I had asked if anyone could help me with the 3D print files for the pieces for Furiosa's arm/glove? I have the printer, I just need help with the actual modelling of the files, and am willing to pay someone to help me with it.

Because you were soliciting a sale. You can do that but not on this thread; if you're looking to purchase a service, post it in the WTB section of the Junkyard.

Just wanted to bump the thread to let you guys know I'm doing a raffle on the jacket. Details can be found on my Instagram page. Just click the Instagram icon under my avatar.

Mad%20Max%20Jacket_zpshz6sfaqa.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back