M56 SmartGun BFONG Full Auto Build

Church

Well i know this has already been covered a few years back by a previous rpf user but id like to get certain insights on how to complete this build.

First off i have a list of parts needed to complete the gun portion but the vest is my only hard tackle really would be the chest rig. The rog in general i know is a steadicam harness and arm but im looking for more accurate like the one shown.

I know the original creator was Simon Atherton but i have no clue really how to even get in contact or even if hes still able to make a fully accurate chest rig (or if hes still alive but ive not got wind anything has happened so i assume hes still working on a few things)

I know if i was to get him to make a chest rig it would be roughly 2-3 grand for it but i think after paying 12,000$ to have a mg42 kit rewelded and made to a BFONG full auto im thinking itll be extremely worth it to have a near original peice for some cosplay and memories

If anyone knows how to contact him do please let me know as id like to try and commission a rig from him for the chance at getting a professional peice (and to help alleviate the weight given the actual mg42 kit weighs roughly 25-30lbs alone and with the additive peices roughly 40-45lbs)

Attachments

• IMG_4187.jpg
    IMG_4187.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_5656.jpg
    IMG_5656.jpg
    686.1 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_4185.jpg
    IMG_4185.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_4186.jpg
    IMG_4186.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_4189.jpg
    IMG_4189.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_4188.jpg
    IMG_4188.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 95
Well its not what i intended to find but this will be fun adding a few metal casts to it

This is the parts kits from chefs creations and when i can get the mg42 back from a welding place and shipped out to a BFONG engineer ill be working on these to cast in bronze/aluminium

Attachments

• IMG_5572.JPG
    IMG_5572.JPG
    390.9 KB · Views: 79
  • SmartGunAddOnKit.jpeg
    SmartGunAddOnKit.jpeg
    101.9 KB · Views: 80
Well while im still waiting on the mg42 to be rebuilt i did manage to find some AR-125 brackets for the front

Instead of cutting them however im going to attempt to make some casting molds and try to recast them in bronze for something with a bit more weight/strength and to perhaps have some resell value for helping in this build as it seems lots of people have trouble finding metal AR-125 brackets

Attachments

• received_2355515641300349.jpeg
    received_2355515641300349.jpeg
    207.1 KB · Views: 63
  • received_922461198863470.jpeg
    received_922461198863470.jpeg
    289.4 KB · Views: 59
Nice find on the AR125s ... buuuut why would you want to add more weight? Also, those 125s are cast alu [I believe], it's plenty strong already.

Nice find on the AR125s ... buuuut why would you want to add more weight? Also, those 125s are cast alu [I believe], it's plenty strong already.
Given mg-42s are rear heavy and im going to be replacing the barrel with a basic tube for blank firing some added weight on the front might be beneficial for recoil from the blanks

And bronze/Nordic gold has a pretty dark color to it when oxidized slightly making for a stylistic choice

And i dont really see many wanting resin cast peices as over time they do begin to break down and become weak

That being said ive seen a few who prefer metal over plastic and thats mainly its easier to weather and easier to keep in one peice without fear of breaking over extended use

Now if it were me id have a set made in stainless steel but that is entirely impossible to cast without industrial equipment so bronze, brass, copper, aluminium, ect.... are all still on the table as they are easier to work with in petrobond molds

And its all really stylistic choices the steadicam should reduce the weight drastically if its rigged correctly

Well the AR-125 brackets are in (stay tuned for some metal castings in the future)

I have severely underestimated the sheer size of this but i can say without a doubt it will be a very good task to undertake

Compared to a mp5 clone for size reference

Attachments

• 20240124_171918.jpg
    20240124_171918.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 53
  • 20240124_171750.jpg
    20240124_171750.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 51
Well i managed to track down a reflecta 3002 video light but i might have overspent on it

Probably gonna try doing a run of aluminium AR-125 brackets soon of anyone is interested in those

I might be able to craft 2 variants of the marine flashlight if i can get a good backing component for the front peice

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 32
  • s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 38
  • s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 34
  • s-l1600 (3).jpg
    s-l1600 (3).jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 32
Well i finally got the reflecta in but im a little confused on what to use for the glass diffuser and how to mount the lamp base (gonna be a different one since this one is only for mains supply)

I do have some scrap aluminum for the extra fin but its mainly the base and glass front im gonna have issues with

For those wondering yes im still funding the mg42 kit but its taking a bit longer than i had hoped due to life expenses and tax season

Attachments

• 20240210_132007.jpg
    20240210_132007.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 35
  • 20240210_132013.jpg
    20240210_132013.jpg
    712.1 KB · Views: 38
Would not recommend using mains power for your lamp! Sure that's screen accurate, but it's not worth the hassle (& possible danger).
There's a few tutorials kicking around for mounting convincing LED torches into the lamp head. I'll have a hunt about.

Would not recommend using mains power for your lamp! Sure that's screen accurate, but it's not worth the hassle (& possible danger).
There's a few tutorials kicking around for mounting convincing LED torches into the lamp head. I'll have a hunt about.
I was planning on getting a 12v halogen lamp (possibility 100-150w if i can) that way it can kick off some decent light as i plan to be shooting some short films soon with a 16mm camera and the leds seem to give off less visible light to the film stock i assume its due to the infrared light not being as prominent in the leds

But im thinking i can get a glass lens from a local supplier

Well the new tests with the forge are a success and with a little fine tweaking i should be able to make some other metals work nicely (even iron if im able to)

But for now ive got brass, copper, and aluminum down to a few minutes melt time and it captures pretty good detail (aluminium is good for slight detail not 100% garuntee on the full detail but i garuntee itll get some pretty good detail nonetheless)

Attachments

• 20240211_170233.jpg
    20240211_170233.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 40
  • 20240211_170238.jpg
    20240211_170238.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 36
Well i know this has already been covered a few years back by a previous rpf user but id like to get certain insights on how to complete this build.

First off i have a list of parts needed to complete the gun portion but the vest is my only hard tackle really would be the chest rig. The rog in general i know is a steadicam harness and arm but im looking for more accurate like the one shown.

I know the original creator was Simon Atherton but i have no clue really how to even get in contact or even if hes still able to make a fully accurate chest rig (or if hes still alive but ive not got wind anything has happened so i assume hes still working on a few things)

I know if i was to get him to make a chest rig it would be roughly 2-3 grand for it but i think after paying 12,000$ to have a mg42 kit rewelded and made to a BFONG full auto im thinking itll be extremely worth it to have a near original peice for some cosplay and memories

If anyone knows how to contact him do please let me know as id like to try and commission a rig from him for the chance at getting a professional peice (and to help alleviate the weight given the actual mg42 kit weighs roughly 25-30lbs alone and with the additive peices roughly 40-45lbs)

I am not sure if Simon is still active, or retired, but I will ask. His website hasn't been updated in about 12 years, but it is still online, so someone's paying for the hosting still.

That being said, I'm not sure how interested he would be in a private commission like this.

I am not sure if Simon is still active, or retired, but I will ask. His website hasn't been updated in about 12 years, but it is still online, so someone's paying for the hosting still.

That being said, I'm not sure how interested he would be in a private commission like this.
Sorry for the late reply but do you have a link to his website or point of contact?

Itll be about a month or 2 out (if im lucky) before i can start the funds for the vest but ideally id only need a price to go off of then i can go from there

Like I said, it explicitly says for film/tv inquiries only, however the armory I work for had purchased several crates of firearms from him a few years ago, including Saving Private Ryan stuff, so I have a way of getting a contact and feeler inquiry.

Like I said, it explicitly says for film/tv inquiries only, however the armory I work for had purchased several crates of firearms from him a few years ago, including Saving Private Ryan stuff, so I have a way of getting a contact and feeler inquiry.
Roger that if your able to get in touch with him and hes able to still make a chest rig/arm please let me know as that would be the last hurdle after getting the mg42 converted

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back