Luke's Cermonial Jacket Pics Up.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by DAVIDYR1, Aug 1, 2005.

1. DAVIDYR1

DAVIDYR1 Official Licensee RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I really wanted to the KB VII Uma leather outfit but, it seems it's already available and certainly done well...but I got the bug to do something in leather that's not BLACK...LOL.

I get emails from time to time about Lukes ceremonial jacket from the end of SW and always thought it could be a fun project but never really gave it some serious thought...until now I guess.

First of all....are these already out there....again if that's the case I dont want to bump heads with others so anyone know?

If not I'd like to take a stab at it.

Any idea if this has already been done before?

If not...anyone have good reference pics?

Thanks in advance.

David

2. TomSpinaDesigns

TomSpinaDesigns Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Only note I have is that the guy who used to own it said it was a parachute material and not leather. I was kinda surprised by that, but considering the ESB rebel pilots wore the same jackets in orange over their flightsuits, it kinda makes sense.

That said, it would be a VERY cool leather jacket regardless of the original's material :)

Tom

3. DAVIDYR1

Hey buddy nice to see you.

Thanks for the tip on the material. I've always suspected it might not be leather, even if it certainly could still work as such.
    I've already started getting some emails with cool details and info...hoping to get more as I really dig the idea of working on something that's not all black leather.
    That might be why I'm having so much fun with the BTTF2 jacket....:)

David

4. CTF

CTF Sr Member

I'm interested. :thumbsup

Doesn't Gus Lopez own the jacket?

5. AlderaanGirl

AlderaanGirl Well-Known Member

If you take on this project Dave, I am sure there will be some interest in it. I have seen this come up on several occasions, either here or the Rebel Legion. And knowing the work you have done on other great leather jackets, if there is a guy to do this well, its you.

All the best guy :)

~ Lori

PS...you knew me as Selina at BOTB ;)

6. Jumpin Jax

Jumpin Jax Sr Member

Nope.

7. DuneMuadDib

DuneMuadDib Sr Member

Saw one on eBay a while ago made of leather. It looked...off.

I'd sure be interested in one of these jackets done in accurate materials. Leather may be another issue, I've got too many leather coats as it is :lol

(Side note, the yellow outfit is from Kill Bill Volume 1, not 2.)

8. DAVIDYR1

Hey Lori how have you been? :)

Well the emails with reference material have already started arriving...thanks guys.
    I'd really like to do this...and different colors will more than likely be possible too.

I'm on this 'color' trip...bored of doing black leather, latex, resin and urethane....

KBII didnt pan out so I want to make this one happen and besides...I can actually wear this myself.....LOL.

I'll start looking into possible materials other than leather. Leather was what I thought it was..but wasnt sure. Seeing as it's not...then leather will only be the alternative if I cant isolate the fabric or similar...same logic we're applying to the BTTF2 Marty jacket...if we can do the same materials then great...if not, suitable and realistic alternatives that will work and make sense. Same here I figure.

Oh and I edited out the word Leather from this threads title...I dont want to get lynched....hahahahahha...:)

David

9. DAVIDYR1

Wow...
    This didnt take long at all.

Thanks to all for the pics so far.

Going to make this one happen.
    Different colors will be made available for the different characters too...:)
    I'm sure the material wont be hard to get ahold of either.

Fun stuff....going to really dig working on this one.

David

10. gunnerk19

gunnerk19 Sr Member

Only two pics I got...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The parachute material deal sounds right; The folds on the shoulder/armit area seem to be soft/numerous for the jacket to be of a heavy or even medium weight leather IMO...

11. DAVIDYR1

This is really cool. Thanks for posting these and thanks again for those of you sending them directly to me.
    It also seems that with a different collar, and possibly minor changes here and there it's the same thing Luke wears in ESB in his Xwing...the orange jacket under the white vest.

This is getting better and better.

If this is the case then I'll make a version II for the pilot suits too. :)

David

12. Trallis

Trallis Well-Known Member

I have asked everywhere about these.. this is one of those things that i've really wanted since before I started costuming or prop collecting. Even though it's not leather.. i reccomend making it thick enough that it maintains that stiff appearance

13. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

Check out the episode Dragon's Domain of the show Space:1999. The same jackets are used in that episode. In blue and orange.

Apparently it was a found item.

14. DaddyfromNaboo

DaddyfromNaboo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I´d be interested in one, too, either leather or nylon .

Greedo wore the same Jacket, just with a thin vest thrown over it. And I am sure that there are other characters out there who possibly wore the jacket too.

Michael

15. DAVIDYR1

You are right.
    I've already been sent quite a few pics of those also.

I think this project will be quick and relatively painless...:)

David

16. saber_holder

saber_holder Active Member

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  17. gunnerk19

gunnerk19 Sr Member

Seems the same thing, yes, but is more in keeping with Luke's Snowspeeder suit than his X wing coveralls; The X Wing suit was a rather plain cloth with pockets/slash code cylinders. But, similar to the Snowspeeder suit only in the ribbed effect runing from neck to sleeve... The Speeder suit had a more insulated appearance, thicker neck, was roughly thight lenght or just shy as opposed to Luke's waist lenght Ceremonial jacket, and the ribbing IMO went further down the sleeve, about 3/4 as opposed to the apparent 1/2 length on the Ceremony jacket...

My $.02... :)

18. DAVIDYR1

19. bothanspy

bothanspy Sr Member

20. zahal

zahal New Member

Dude, I am so in on one of these, if it goes ahead, I have wanted a jacket like this for at least 15+ years... Keep us posted :)

mike

21. Remo

Remo Well-Known Member

I'm also interested. What else is he wearing exactly in the picture. Anyone have more info?

22. RICHIES ARMOR

RICHIES ARMOR Sr Member

I have done this jacket and still have the patterns if that will help.

Richie

23. STEVE THE SWEDE

STEVE THE SWEDE Sr Member

Cool project. I'm 100% sure it's a found jacket though, with some mods done to work for different use.

I'm interested in 60's and 70's style racing jackets and this looks just like one of those. The material is probably made out of nylon like most of these jackets were. Before I started I would contact some one who knows a great deal about vintage racing jackets, maybe they could sheed some more light over the model. It's out there, I'm sure. :)

Good luck,

Steve.

24. STEVE THE SWEDE

STEVE THE SWEDE Sr Member

Yep, did some searching and apperently it turned out to be a vintage British racing jacket. They are out there but extremly rare. Sorry, but I don't have more info then that.

Steve.

25. DAVIDYR1

True. I'm also trying to locate one but doubt I'll be able to. Already sourcing the material too.

Aside from that I have some questions about the Luke version because there are some modifications that were made to it..

- Is there a zipper on the front because I cant tell from the pics and I just dont see it. I need to know if there is one...guessing there is.
    - The side pockets have been covered by the same beige strip that's on either sides of the front of the jacket, where the zipper should be but are those pockets still there or are they completely covered?

Once again I want to thank everyone who's been sending me info and details.

David

26. Cantina_Dude

Cantina_Dude Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey.

Great project. My take on the zipper is that it was completely covered by the tan fabric that runs up the edge of the jacket. This would obviously make the zipper unusable, and therefore make the jacket unable to be closed at the front. I guess you will have to make the decision to either go for screen accuracy or more for functionality. I personally would be interested in a fully functional jacket, so if a zipper could be hidden behind that tan strip, that would be ideal. It would still look right from the outside, but if you ever wanted to seal it up, you have that option.

As for the pockets on the sides, it looks to me that when they took in the sides of the stock racing jacket, they may have removed the pockets completely. Those two strips of the tan fabric are there to cover the cut they made to have a more form fitting jacket. It doesn't look like there are pockets still there, to my eye anyway. But again, I'm sure some pockets could be cleverly hidden along those tan strips. It would definitely make the jacket more functional.

Keep up the great work.

MJC.

27. JHVanOphem

JHVanOphem Well-Known Member

Cantina_Dude is right. The zipper was covered by the tan strip and the waist of the jacket was taken in for a more form fitting look with the tan pieces to cover the modifications.

As has been pointed out already, it was a standard racing jacket, made of nylon and available circa 1975-1978.

And like so many others who have responded, I'd be interested in the jacket as well.

28. AlderaanGirl

AlderaanGirl Well-Known Member

**Waves Hi to both Dave and Woofer**

See David....I told you I knew there were Rebel Legion members interested in this as well. Besides the Lukes ..you have all the pilots ;) :)

29. Benkenove

Benkenove Well-Known Member

Amazing project man...

If someone makes some really accurate Orange Luke ESB jacket, I´m really interested.... put me on the list...

30. lonepigeon

lonepigeon Sr Member

Ditto on the beige fabric notes. I believe that was simple edge trim fabric (I forget what the correct term is, it comes in strips).
    The detail on the top pocket is the same type of trim material used on Han's pants (the brown/yellow version). It's covering up the pocket snap - the flap is tucked in.

Luke's jacket is a size 38.

More info on Parts of Star Wars:
    http://www.partsofsw.com/lukecer.htm

There's a great pic of Ponda Baba's jacket (the orange version) in the book Empire Building.
    If you don't have it I can scan it later.

BTW - This jacket is NOT related to Greedo's jumpsuit unless they were made by the same company. His jumpsuit is completely different.

31. HAL9000

HAL9000 Sr Member

There was a guy at my school who had one of these jackets (this is 79/80). His was
    Red with white detailing. I think it came from British Home Stores.
    (a UK store)

32. Golgo13

Golgo13 New Member

I'm in for one of these, it's quite alarmingly clear that the jacket is not of any leather variety just looking at those pics and on another note has anyone done Han's Ceromonial shirt? :)

33. reaper63

reaper63 Sr Member

I tink I could get a couple of people nterested, if the jackets would come in custom colors. MAking Squadron Jackets for the pilots would rock. Something like these:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And
    [​IMG]

If these would be possible, Then who knows how many would be wanted :)

34. HAL9000

HAL9000 Sr Member

Actually,
    those pics are great. Leather would be cool.

How about a 2-Tone Black'n'Grey for us Vader Nuts?

Like this?...

[​IMG]

I'd be in for that.

Thanks

35. HDPE

HDPE Well-Known Member

Me too.

Cheers

36. hofmann

hofmann New Member

Yeah, what everyone else said.

37. division 6

division 6 Master Member

Bias tape.

D6

38. DAVIDYR1

Great ideas brewing here....:)

Let's narrow down some color variants.

I am more than happy to do this in any different colors.

-Mustard (for Lukes Ceremonial jacket)
    -Black Base/Grey strip
    -Black Base/Orange strip
    -Black Base/Blue strip
    -Black Base/Green strip

One Jacket with 5 variants of color.

Pilot Jacket.
    This will essentially be the same jacket but modified to be the Pilot jacket
    -Orange...with changes for pilot jacket. Collar and whatever else is needed to make it accurate.

OK everyone...We're working on it now. :)

Wont take long at all...

As for the suggestion of leather, well quite frankly I agree. Leather would be cool. I will get this off the ground in the proper nylon based fabric then once I have the prototype made I will also extend the option to have them in leather for anyone interested.

Thanks everyone for all the help and ideas here......or as Sr says on Orange County Choppers..."Idear's"

David

David

39. ywingfighter

ywingfighter Well-Known Member

I am interessted for an ESB X-Wing Pilot Jacket made from nylon.

40. division 6

division 6 Master Member

The Speeder jacket has a small flap over the zipper, window pocket on left breast and puffy collar.
    The ribbing on the sleeve stops about 6" from the cuff.

D6

41. DAVIDYR1

Thanks.
    It seems this jacket is the base for several models in the SW universe.

I'm happy to do as many variations as necessary but I need reference material.

Ceremonial Jacket...OK I have all I need to make it.
    X-Wing Pilot....Need Pics
    Speeder.........Need Pics

Any other (movie) variation I will need pics.
    The custom squadron jackets will be based on the Ceremonial Jacket but in different colors.

David

42. ywingfighter

ywingfighter Well-Known Member

Here some shots from space 1999[attachmentid=3202][attachmentid=3203]

43. Gruson

Gruson Well-Known Member

Please put me down for a Ceremonial Jacket. PM me the details.

Thanks.

44. superjedi

superjedi Sr Member

I may be interested in one as well, pending final details of color/price, etc.
    Eric

45. JHVanOphem

JHVanOphem Well-Known Member

How about orange with a white sleeve stripe?

[​IMG]

Even a non-winter version would make a good "flight jacket" variation.

46. DAVIDYR1

All these photos are really helping. Some that I just received are even better.

As far as the color variations go, I dont want to go too crazy there. Each color variation means minimums for the fabric manufacturer when I purchase it.

A standard base, with a few color options is no problem but I cant do every combination under the sun....as much as I wish I could.

I dont have any details yet on this but am already working on showing you something very soon.

Once I show the prototype, we'll decide on color combinations and simple variations on the jacket to use for Speeder suits or Xwing pilot suits as well.

Motoring ahead on this.
    Pics soon.

David

47. BatDemon

BatDemon Active Member

Are the original jackets down-filled? They look to be in the Space:1999 versions.

48. Benkenove

Benkenove Well-Known Member

It really seems that the jacket is not made of leather... In ESB the jacket has a very WET look I think it cannot be "reach" by leather... Any idea of "real" accurate material ???

49. DAVIDYR1

No they are not leather...that was a suggested approach to this jacket. These jackets were made from a spcific nylon.
    I have some on the way now and will have the prototype done shortly also.

David

50. KenGawne

KenGawne New Member

I'd like to see someone make the Akira red leather jacket... sometime

Ken