Luke V2 lever

Though maybe unlikely, I've seen mini drawers that have drop pull handles with a similar size and profile to the V2 lever.

Last edited:
I’m in the camp that the original Graflex clamp side-bar nut and clamp screw are on the V2, and that the longer lever is un-modified- just added after the original lever broke off from being over-tightened. My belief anyway.

It’s possible the lever was added by a photographer using the original flash/clamp, or added during filming as a repair.

Last edited:
More process theory here. To the good point made by Halliwax on unfound saber/flashgun part variants, I still have not seen the variant of Folmer or Graflex Inc. clamp lever that looks like the one in the attached photo of Luke’s ANH hero. The clamp lever rivet is larger than any Graflex variant I’ve seen from the other OT films or subsequently in the wild. Has anyone found something close?

Photo courtesy of IronDestinyProps.

View attachment 1414655

cdyoung I feel as if it was an inc. lever, if not even a whole inc. clamp. Look closely at the difference in the finish of the flashgun body compared to the clamp in this photo. Looks like the clamp is a lot less shiny, sort of like an inc. clamp.

Anyways to get back on topic, I'm on the train with Seth here. It seems most likely some photographer made a custom part for his own flashgun, maybe for speed of taking it on and off, (especially if he had larger hands). It doesn't seem likely that the lever would just "come off" naturally, but it's definitely not impossible. It was probably already attached upon acquiring the flashguns. And as BRRogers showed us, it really is quite a simple little piece to make....who knows maybe the guy who made it was a photographer and a machinist like our buddy scottjua :) Either way it does seem like a fabricated part rather than a found part... The only reason I wouldn't think that this was made by the prop dept. is because of their apparent abundance of Graflexes. Why not just grab another lever/pin? This is different than the MPP argument because clearly MPP's (let alone MPP shrouds) are a lot more rare. Replacing the lever on a Graflex would be significantly easier than replacing a shroud, or even a lever pin on an MPP given it's rarity, which is why they seemingly fabricated a steel shroud for ESB, and used a nail as a lever in ANH.

I’m in the camp that the original Graflex clamp side-bar nut and clamp screw are on the V2, and that the longer lever is un-modified- just added after the original lever broke off from being over-tightened. My belief anyway.

It’s possible the lever was added by a photographer using the original flash/clamp, or added during filming as a repair.

;)

Maybe it’s from a vintage fly tying or lure tying vise?

6160EF3C-26B6-4BD0-8A5E-D08D11042B6A.jpeg
E560E84A-A5DB-4801-917D-564D1993CAE1.jpeg
1B3BF082-DE8C-43D2-AE9B-EF09160189DA.jpeg
6598F195-67EF-47D6-9C26-787932921DBD.jpeg
CABFB094-F635-47ED-8E47-86B7A7C82C2F.jpeg
2603AC0D-88C9-45A3-8AD6-53A2EAB2A3B1.jpeg
FEFF9F91-2EBA-4205-B539-933E28F55CF2.jpeg
01F65DF0-AAC1-4671-ABD8-AC73CDE2BAE8.jpeg

I mean, it looks the part but the top of the lever on the V2 isn't as open as it is on these vice levers. The V2 lever is also a bit on the dainty side. I don't think it's up for anything of "heavy" use.

It's more and more likely it was a custom "mod" job some previous owner did. I don't know if it's the case with real vintage levers breaking off on the clamp, but I've had it happen to me before with replicas.

Last edited:
Where do they usually break? The V2 hinge pin doesnt look hand done to me, so that would mean the threaded post came with the weird lever

If they break it will be here, that's the weakest point, and also takes the most stress during close.
lever1.JPG

However, I think is more likely that the little rod that connects it to the screw corrodes and breaks rather than the lever itself. It is pretty solid steel piece

Where do they usually break? The V2 hinge pin doesnt look hand done to me, so that would mean the threaded post came with the weird lever

If they break it will be here, that's the weakest point, and also takes the most stress during close.View attachment 1417358
However, I think is more likely that the little rod that connects it to the screw corrodes and breaks rather than the lever itself. It is pretty solid steel piece

That's exactly where it has broken on my previous replicas. The post is pretty easy to push out too after the lever's gone. It's not far-fetched that the lever snapped at one point, these pieces left behind, and someone fabricated the long lever to replace it. However, considering the shape of of the V2 lever, how it's flat at the pivot before it curves and then once more at the tip---on top of the bottom tapering--- it just seems too intentional of details to make me believe someone fabricated it on a whim. If they fabricated the lever as a quick fix, why bother adding these details? These are intentional design choices.

It only makes sense to me that this was a pre-fabricated piece once belonging to something else and modified to attach to the clamp pin, or; made specifically to replace these clamp levers. The problem is that the V2 exists in an odd place where both are plausible but neither is true. There's nothing come up since either a found part or a duplicate that the current lever on the V2 can be compared to. It is at this moment, one-of-a-kind.

Last edited:
The one he shared a bit ago shows the lever has a lip until it reaches the curve at the bottom, indicating to me, this is a milled/machined piece. I think Roy's lever has this detail and Roman's does not. I wish there were a combo of the two; I think Roy's clamp nut and the underside of his lever, along with its shape, are more accurate than Roman's, but Roman's has the more accurate profile.

SWCA BrandonA V2.jpg

I think we are giving too much credit to that unknown photographer. I know if my lever broke and it was to expensive to just get another flash (or hard to find) - I'll just fix it the easiest way possible. So if I hand the skills and tools to make my own lever - I'd either make it some very simple shape - something like the MPP's lever probably, or try to replicate the original as close as possible. That weird complex shape of the v2 lever and that it also appears to be chromed for me rule out the possibility it was made on purpose as a replacement. At least much more likely that it was a found part quickly adapted for the repair.

I did a little experiment - put Roy's lever on one of my flashes and attached it to the camera the way it is supposed to be used.
It is really much more inconvenient compared to the original lever. The end of the v2 lever goes beyond the clamp into the space between the flash body and the rangefinder and the space is kind of tight there for my finger. I guess if you have big hands it will be even more inconvenient.

That big curve / lip at the end of the original lever is really necessary for ease of operation when mounted on the camera. My point is - you can live with the little more inconvenient v2 lever if you found it and used it as a replacement, but unlikely that you craft it that way on purpose.

I noticed there is a bend or damage on the side, in the center of the lever, and the pin has the same patina as the lever.
The one he shared a bit ago shows the lever has a lip until it reaches the curve at the bottom, indicating to me, this is a milled/machined piece. I think Roy's lever has this detail and Roman's does not. I wish there were a combo of the two; I think Roy's clamp nut and the underside of his lever, along with its shape, are more accurate than Roman's, but Roman's has the more accurate profile.

View attachment 1417361

Too big and wide :[
the amount of force put on those in practical application, no way. Also another glove tool, it needs to be pretty hefty to feel and operate in thick gloves

Yeah, I agree these are too big, but looks like there are many sizes. I thought someone might be familiar with a smaller variation .. like maybe a similar medical tool, they seem to have all sorts of weird shapes and levers and are about the right size in general.

B9E9536A-8384-4B27-B7F8-25D49DB1E4C9.jpeg

cant find my forged V2 lever but this is an MPP style.
The needle nose Vice grips don’t get much smaller than the bottom pair there (about the size in your photo) nothing similar until you get into surgical scale forceps etc. I’ve done some looking there but the mechanisms are typically different

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back