Luke ROTJ Yuma stunt lightsaber with stunt blade

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Deltaflyer90, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Deltaflyer90

Deltaflyer90 New Member

Hey guys

I'm one of the new guys on the board but have been following for years I have built many prop replicas mostly trek and Star Wars stuff but this is my first one I will have ever posted!
    This is my Yuma bladed stunt saber it's a machined aluminum hilt painted and weathered by me. I decided to go all the way and add a stunt blade that's a tapered carbon rod similar to the material they used for stunt blades for empire and Jedi the next step will be to add reflective tape to one of my whole blades and have a short raw blade like the one used in Yuma.....the paint job is still a work in progress please any comments or critique are welcome as the paint thing is new to me

Deltaflyer90

Attached Files:

2. scarf man

scarf man Sr Member

Not bad. Those grip rings are way too wide IMHO, but a nice effort non the less.
    Are you going to add a stunt control box?

NeoRutty likes this.
  3. Deltaflyer90

Deltaflyer90 New Member

Uses I'm currently working on one now :) ya the rings bother me but for my first go around I'm pleased I'm just happy I found a pretty cool blade source

4. James Kenobi 1138

James Kenobi 1138 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

They used aluminum rods in ESB and ROTJ, not carbon fiber.

If you heard/read differently, you heard/read wrong.

Saber looks nice.

5. Deltaflyer90

Deltaflyer90 New Member

I was going from a quote from nick gillard he said they opted for aluminum I'm TPM because he said they tested the carbon rods they used but he opted not to use them because they shattered when broken sending shrapnel in the air. Is there proof they were aluminum ? I had no idea that was discussed

6. James Kenobi 1138

7. Deltaflyer90

Deltaflyer90 New Member

Wow should have tead that nore closely lol. James Kenobi is there any actual proof beyond looking at photos that they were aluminum? Every source i have come across said that y hey were an early form carbon/graphite not carbon fiber they also said they were still fragile and frequently broke but nowhere near as much as the wooden blades from ANH. My blades are carbon/graphite shafts with no fiber in them aluminum bends and of you watch all the bts footage the props hamil and bob Anderson are sparing with are black or dark colored rods or ones covered in reflective tape with black knicks in the blade

8. James Kenobi 1138

There is proof, all of it available.

Had the same situation with Saberman. The stunt blades were aluminum, not CF, but you are free to believe whatever you want.

It just doesn't make it true.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, the rods used in the OT were extruded and absolutely not regular plain-Jane aluminum rods like the ones used in EP1.

Thats why the EP1 rods bend. Straight, too thin, rolled and not extruded, no taper, etc..

9. Deltaflyer90

Deltaflyer90 New Member

Could they have been hardened aluminum to prevent bending? I just happen to have access to tapered aluminum ski poles that happen to look pretty close in size :) did they make aluminum tank antennas ? Or is Steve sansweet not a reliable source ?

10. thd9791

thd9791 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I didn't know this! That would explain the difference. You can absolutely hear the metal rods hit the ground in behind the scenes footage.

11. Deltaflyer90

Deltaflyer90 New Member

well i found some extruded hardened aluminum antennas the sizes look close to screen used size...may be our answer ill buy some and post em :)
    Are we sure they didn't use BOTH aluminum and just plain carbon ?? So many sources say carbon but this is the first time I've heard aluminum .. Many websites including nick gillard (who said they tested OT blades for research into what they were gonna use in TPM) said that carbon rods with no "fiber" just plain baked carbon rods wich I have researched is often used as another name forGRAPHITE material . I dropped my carbon/ graphite blades and they made a metal sound just like you hear in ROTJ bts throne room duel. Could it be possible both were used?? Or maybe used for some sort of promo work?? ....many sources say carbon/graphite has anyone handled or seen an orgional prop

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  12. Deltaflyer90

Deltaflyer90 New Member

Okay i'm sorry guys i promise im not trying to start an argument lol :lol i just wanna make sure because im working on getting my sabers as accurate as possible in terms of materials. I am also working on a luke ANH/ESB metal tube stunt and a actual cast aluminum shared stunt as well as a Vader ROTJ all with accurate stunt blades complete with reflective tape and all...will post that later ...But Are we SURE they didn't use BOTH aluminum and just plain carbon ?? So many sources say carbon but this is the first time I've heard aluminum .. Many websites including nick Gillard (who said they tested OT blades for research into what they were gonna use in TPM) said that carbon rods with no "fiber" just plain baked carbon rods wich I have researched is often used as another name for GRAPHITE material . I dropped my carbon/ graphite blades and they made a metal sound just like you hear in ROTJ bts throne room duel. Could it be possible both were used?? Or maybe used for some sort of promo work?? ....many sources say carbon/graphite has anyone handled or seen an original prop?/

heres quotes i found online

"For the original trilogy Carbon rods were used for the "stunt" lightsaber blades. The fights in the orginal films did not involve as many complicated and fast sword moves as the new movies, but all the while the major problem with these old blades was when they broke they SCATTERED sending sharpnel towards the poor actors........... not good. "

And heres one from http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightsaber"
    during the filming of Episode V, it was decided creating an in-camera glowing effect was more trouble than it was worth, so the spinning rods were swapped for carbon rods. While these new blades were less cumbersome than before, they were still very fragile and frequently broke. However, they continued to be used for Episode VI.[54]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  13. James Kenobi 1138

Nick G didn't work on the OT.

From everything I have seen/read, from well vetted insiders that I trust and people who worked on the films, the stunt blades in ESB and ROTJ were aluminum rods.

When they went to film EP1 the prop department was told "Oh the old sabers used aluminum blades, just get some of those" and they did but they used different, regular tubes and they sucked and they switched to carbon fiber for EP 2/3.

Like I said, believe what you want. But the OT stunt blades were wood and then aluminum.

14. ARKM

ARKM Sr Member

Just to be clear, the blades in at least Episode 3, were texalium wrapped carbon fiber rods (from a company called Kilwell in New Zealand) and not just straight up carbon fiber rods. Regular carbon fiber rods are absolutely horrible for dueling but the texalium wrapped ones are pretty durable (but of course, can still break if enough force is used).

15. Deltaflyer90

Deltaflyer90 New Member

That little stump Poking out of Vaders ROTJ saberIs is that the actual aluminum blade itself or a smaller rod went inside the aluminum blade to attach it . To me it looks too thin to be the bottom of the actual blade itself some of those were thick also did they have a smaller rod running through lukes shared stunt and Yuma sabers? Those blades look as thick of not thicker than the necks of those two sabers

16. thd9791

It was discovered in a youtube video from the archives that cylindrical aluminum stock served as a plug and anchor for stunt blades. these were held in by allen head bolts (ala ROTJ Vader saber, ANH stunt) so that little metal thing poking out could be part of that system. Maybe an inner piece running from the blade, down through the socket and into the aluminum plug beneath the socket.
    The ANH stunt, being just a tube, had no bulb socket to bypass
    LFA_DVROTJ_hexnuts.jpg Screen Shot 2015-04-20 at 6.24.32 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-04-10 at 4.24.06 PM.png

The Yuma saber (ROTJ production) had a nipple for a reason. The blades went into the emitter at least, and were held in with set screws.

The V2 (ANH Production) also has set screws in it's nipple.

Attached Files:

17. Deltaflyer90

Deltaflyer90 New Member

So the nub on Vaders could be from a rod attached inside the bottom of the blade?......on the Yuma do you think there was a smaller rod running inside the neck of the saber? that's how I have mine set up

Also how do you think the shared stint blade was connected? Just screwed in the emitter only or do you think it had another small rod running down the neck

18. thd9791

Good questions.

Not the yuma no, given that those were made later, I think those were more simple designs. we really don't know for sure, but the hero only has a set screw in the nipple. The hero, it's thought was a Yuma saber that was redecorated.

The Shared Stunt... I think it was suggested that it was not used for dueling in ANH. (To make it mobile, the V2 was cut apart and machined after casting, the Shared Stunt was not) By ROTJ it might have been used for fencing, since the V2 was a belt hanger, but i think it also had just a set screw up top. There is a shot of the shared stunt down the emitter side and the hole is the same size as the blade, with a flat bottom.

Screen Shot 2015-03-22 at 3.19.30 PM.png This isn't the shot I was talking about but it's close. The nipple was cut off and we can see better inside.

here we go...Halfway down is the emitter shot! http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=54250

19. Deltaflyer90

Deltaflyer90 New Member

Update on my stunt. Was able to find my hardened aluminum ski poles which is as close as I'm going to get until my aluminum antennas come in the mail :) ....this one has the reflective tape added

Attached Files:

MCM, Sym-Cha and thd9791 like this.
  20. Darth_Thorpe

Darth_Thorpe New Member

Looking really good :)

21. dejordzta

dejordzta Active Member

Oh hey that's something I didn't know. Depending on price I may inquire with 'em, being local and all - thanks for the info!

Sym-Cha likes this.
  22. Deltaflyer90

Deltaflyer90 New Member

So I found this BTS saber rehearsal from ESB with Hamill and Anderson. The blades there using look black like an unpaired like graphite and sound just like a carbon/graphite rod when they clash together not a metallic clank I tested my two graphite rods and they sound very similar. My question is could they have used graphite for rehearsals then aluminum for filming? Or a mix ?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MVQdNzZTy7E

What do you guys think ?

Sym-Cha likes this.
  23. Deltaflyer90

Deltaflyer90 New Member

Well I ordered some hardened aluminum rods from a company that makes custom cut antennas. I will post those when I get them

24. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Great video ... I have no clue whatsoever what was used back then ... but keep investigating ... the truth is out there :)

Chaim

25. James Kenobi 1138

I believe those are wooden blades. With the ANH blades being wood and many swords being wooden for practice in fencing and Kendo it makes sense that they used better, stronger wood blades first before switching to the aluminum blades. That video is from before ESB filming started.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  26. halliwax

halliwax Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

those pictures look great, the blade really shines!!

27. Deltaflyer90

Deltaflyer90 New Member

Hey I didn't think about that ! you're probably right Could it possibly be left over blades from ANH? Or possibly new ones they are working those blades pretty hard lol

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  28. Deltaflyer90

Deltaflyer90 New Member

The blade hole hole looks really shallow looks like it stops where the neck meets the bottom of the emitter. Do you think the blades were just attached in the emitter only ? With a metal sleeve around the blade ?

29. thd9791

I believe they were, those props made for Alec weren't meant for hard dueling at first. the Nipple (that is absent on the shared stunt) provided the height needed to secure it in place.

There is a little circle at the bottom of the emitter hole. it's possible there was an inner rod that went deeper, like the ROTJ Vader.

30. James Kenobi 1138

The blades had a smaller inner rod that went down past the emitter into the saber. You can see the blade and rod in that recent video from the archives with the saber blades. One of the shared stunt style blades is sitting on the table.

thd9791 likes this.
  31. Deltaflyer90

Deltaflyer90 New Member

Are you talking about that shorter one closest to the camera in that wideshot?

32. thd9791

That shorter one is the metal plug they used for the ANH tubular stunt, among other flash based stunts. James is talking about a thinner rod inside the blades that extended down further than the end of the blade into the Shared Stunt. (maybe others)

33. Deltaflyer90

Deltaflyer90 New Member

Heres the pic I was talking about I cropped it there is a rod closer to the camera that look like it has a smaller rod running in the blade image.jpg

34. thd9791

OH sorry, haha yes that's the one.

35. Deltaflyer90

Deltaflyer90 New Member

Lol it's hard to see what until you actually see the pic. So do you guys think that particular blade is one of Alec's wood blades? Or an "antenna" blade from empire and Jedi ?

36. thd9791

From what we've recently found out from Brandon A about the V2, I don't think the Shared Stunt was a motorized prop. Possibly, but either way it was used in ROTJ too. I think those blades are ROTJ fencing blades, the wooden spinning rods were square.

37. James Kenobi 1138

@Funky Jedi, isn't this your old ROTJ saber you sold a few years ago?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  38. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yes it is. It's nice to know he has balls to to show off the saber he STOLE from me and pass it off as "his". :behave
    Looks like this next trip to his house will be with the police.

39. Deltaflyer90

Deltaflyer90 New Member

Excuse me?! I bought this saber off of ebay.

40. Funky

Just so everyone knows, I KNOW my work when I see it. I guess he figured I was to stupid to notice.

mugatu likes this.
  41. James Kenobi 1138

Score one for the good guys.

I loathed saberMan and it didn't take me long to recognize his thread and posting style, so I reported Deltaflyer90 to the Mods. I knew it was him.

mugatu and thd9791 like this.
  42. Funky

i owe you a beer at the next party, bro.:thumbsup

mugatu and thd9791 like this.