Luke ROTJ V2 lightsaber

Hey! The stencils turned out great! Nice job!

Hi,
I've finally finished my Luke v2 from Anakin Starkiller's run from last year.
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

I'm really please at how it turned out.

Last edited:
Given that a few of those cool photos of the v2 were a little dull, I bumped up the saturation and stuff a bit.... Make the Browns really brown and the Blacks really black.
obiv2full1.jpgcopperneck2j.pg.jpg

I don't think the V2 had a black neck area.
I even inverted one of the photos and the browns are blue and the blacks are white/grey.
Screen Shot 2016-03-17 at 8.43.49 PM.png

and this shot that I didn't alter came from a post-ANH training sesh.
Screen Shot 2016-03-17 at 8.48.49 PM.png

Anyone have any input?

Given that a few of those cool photos of the v2 were a little dull, I bumped up the saturation and stuff a bit.... Make the Browns really brown and the Blacks really black.
View attachment 604803View attachment 604804

I don't think the V2 had a black neck area.
I even inverted one of the photos and the browns are blue and the blacks are white/grey.
View attachment 604805

and this shot that I didn't alter came from a post-ANH training sesh.
View attachment 604806

Anyone have any input?

I definitely believe that at least one of the two known stunt sabers had a more coppery neck. This could have been the V2, or it is entirely possible that it wound up as the shared stunt that went on exhibition and into outer space. That version was definitely prettied up; there is aluminum or mylar tape in several spots and it looks like the copper neck section had been repainted. I have seen pictures of the V2, though, where it looks like there might have been copper paint underneath the black paint on the neck portion. Who knows? :wacko

I have a sneaking suspicion (beyond "we'll never know") that the one with the brass neck in the photos you've altered, thd9791, is the Shared Stunt and that the V2 could very well have been all black.

This is the photo Brandon "photo-matched" to the V2 in ANH, and there may or may not be any brass coloring on the neck (could someone screencap the Blu-ray if it has better images?):

ANH_ObiWanVader.jpg

And then there's this picture of one of the two, I think, I'm safe to assume most of us think this is the legit V2. The color is washed out but I'm fairly certain that there isn't any brass on the neck:

tumblr_nb77z2GLKL1s2wio8o8_500.jpg

Then there's this one, which I can't make heads or tails out of. It may very well have a different colored neck but then again it could very well be all black. One idea I have is that the difference in color on the emitter head, I think, may be because of either another light source coming in from the right of the picture or the color of the emitter is reflecting the color of the lights of the Death Star hallway set. If I recall, they were paneled lights separated equidistantly; one light and then that drab blue-grey color of the Death Star:

pic2.jpg

But quite frankly, all this talk of Shared Stunts and V2's give me a headache.:wacko

Last edited by a moderator:
I generally agree that all these talks of various iterations of shared stunts and different versions of V2 tires me out. During a course of shooting a movie one can expect different versions of a props and it's no different in Star Wars.

If some wants to make replicas of different props that were used, all the power to them. Me, I mostly like high quality and well built lightsabers even if they may not be accurate to every little details.

My two cents

Gosh...you know....that's the whole point of a research thread.

What color these were painted is far from a small detail. Since we don't have blunt proof, discussion and brainstorming are the best ways to find anything out. I personally find the process fascinating and the RPF has been able to unearth so many fantastic things over the years from very little material. We are an incredible community.

If you're sick of conversation then you don't have to join, but please don't bring us down. The pictures, the ideas, that's what we need.

Thank you.

Hi. I think there is no doubt with Luke ROTJ V2 lightsaber color.
I took some BR screen caps and altered the levels in photoshop to increase the contrast (No color alteration, just levels)
You can see on the right pictures the color difference and the copper color there.

lightsaber_copper.jpg

Last edited:
I took some BR screen caps and altered the levels in photoshop to increase the contrast (No color alteration, just levels)
You can see on the right pictures the color difference and the copper color there.

I've also always suspected there were still remnants of copper paint under black on the V2's windvane and those adjusted screencaps are very compelling!

I'm still not so sure. We can assume that the Shared Stunt and the V2 at one point looked nearly identical to each other when they were both used as motorized dueling props in ANH and, more than likely, sported the same color scheme. But, at this point in RotJ, it very well could've lost that brass color (copper is more red-orange, brass is the brown-yellow we see) on the neck/windvane as it used for filming. For all we know, it could be remnants of that brass that still remain when this shot was filmed but grainy images just can't do it for me, now. Especially considering this image surfacing at SWCA.

5.jpg

What that is on the windvane/neck of the V2, in that photo, for me can't be anything more than dirt on the hilt (these scenes were filmed after the Sail Barge sequence, if I recall) or artifacting caused by the digital scan of the film (and the saturating back and forth) that picked up the detail of the paint on the neck, having almost a two-tone effect, due to the handling of the prop over the years; tarnishing the original finish of the paint. There is a similar effect on my V2 when I photograph it because my paint scheme is in a similar fashion.

If you look at the "booster" section on my V2, you can see what I mean. It's the same black paint all over but the sheen has been dulled in sections from handling the prop. I believe this situation to be replicated in some form on the actual prop, and coupled with the photography of the thing in the film, then the digital scans and alterations made to enhance the image, that is supplying what some might interpret the coloring on the neck/windvane.
IMG_4902.JPG

Attachments

• lukeje10.jpg
    lukeje10.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 326
Last edited:
I'm still not so sure. We can assume that the Shared Stunt and the V2 at one point looked nearly identical to each other when they were both used as motorized dueling props in ANH and, more than likely, sported the same color scheme. But, at this point in RotJ, it very well could've lost that brass color (copper is more red-orange, brass is the brown-yellow we see) on the neck/windvane as it used for filming. For all we know, it could be remnants of that brass that still remain when this shot was filmed but, grainy images just can't do it for me, now. Especially considering this image surfacing at SWCA.

View attachment 605052

What that is on the windvane/neck of the V2, in that photo, for me can't be anything more than dirt on the hilt (these scenes were filmed after the Sail Barge sequence, if I recall) or artifacting caused by the digital scan of the film (and the saturating back and forth) that picked up the detail of the paint on the neck, having almost a two-tone effect, due to the handling of the prop over the years; tarnishing the original finish of the paint. There is a similar effect on my V2 when I photograph it because my paint scheme is in a similar fashion.

If you look at the "booster" section on my V2, you can see what I mean. It's the same black paint all over but the sheen has been dulled in sections from handling the prop. I believe this situation to be replicated in some form on the actual prop, and coupled with the photography of the thing in the film, then the digital scans and alterations made to enhance the image, that is supplying what some might interpret the coloring on the neck/windvane.
View attachment 605058

I have no doubt about that is copper/brass/orange color. I can try to take more captures if you want.
Anyway, is the SWCA lightaber confirmed/authenticated? Why are there not better pics of it than the ones took directly from screen?

Yes, the SWCA pics are genuine and they were authenticated once they were shown by the guy who not only runs the London Prop Store in L.A. (Brandon Alinger) but it's in his personal collection. There are a few more pics on page 27 in this thread, if you need further reference (it also happens to be where the serious research work in replicating the prop begins, too). That is the V2 as seen in RotJ. The only reason why there aren't better pics of it is because the owner chose not to release them beyond his presentation at the convention. If you can take clearer screencaps from the film which are evidence of the color and they are better than the photos Brandon took and plastered on a 10 foot screen, by all means, you're more than welcome to.

Whatever color it was before in ANH, it's not that now, is what I'm trying to say. The thing is all black, as far as I'm concerned.

Also, lets get these colors correct. It's killing me.:p Brass is on the left, copper is on the right. Though brass is an alloy of copper and zinc, their colors are not the same.

attachment.php

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 1,437
Last edited:

View attachment 604943

But... you can also see the same copper color on the emitter, and the "grenade" part as well. Not sure that's the best reference image, as far as color goes.

Yes, the SWCA pics are genuine and they were authenticated once they were shown by the guy who not only runs the London Prop Store in L.A. (Brandon Alinger) but it's in his personal collection. There are a few more pics on page 27 in this thread, if you need further reference (it also happens to be where the serious research work in replicating the prop begins, too). That is the V2 as seen in RotJ. The only reason why there aren't better pics of it is because the owner chose not to release them beyond his presentation at the convention. If you can take clearer screencaps from the film which are evidence of the color and they are better than the photos Brandon took and plastered on a 10 foot screen, by all means, you're more than welcome to.

Whatever color it was before in ANH, it's not that now, is what I'm trying to say. The thing is all black, as far as I'm concerned.

Also, lets get these colors correct. It's killing me.:p Brass is on the left, copper is on the right. Though brass is an alloy of copper and zinc, their colors are not the same.

http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=605152&stc=1

I´m just saying that with this kind of grial found, is strange not having more clear pics of it since almost a year ago, not just disorted pictures took of a screen with a DSLR camera, dont you think? Why those pictures showed at the SWCA big screen have not been published in all this time?
And is verified that is the original prop of the film? where? how? Until the moment i see more clear pictures of it and the authenticity is certified, i will still having doubts. Elstree props have good reputation too... I´m not saying that is fake. I just have reasonable doubts until i see facts that proof that is genuine.

Regarding color chart you explained trying to be ironic, I was talking about an undefined color paint, probably copper paint as long as the captures are not clear enough to say (the SWCA are not less blurry as far as i know). The only clear thing is that there is a color variation there that repeats when v2 lightsaber appears in the film. Always copper (orange, or call it as you want) in the same area of the lightsaber.

Last edited:
Yea, I know today it's beat to hell now... and half the area is covered by gaffer's tape now too....To me this has to do with it's relationship to the original OWK hero prop (grenade and booster) as well.

1) On the color....every clip I see color it is similar to brown. similar to the cloak. What does that say about the metal?
A real Hales Grenade neck IS brass. The Skiff scene machined sabers looked brass to me.
But the Hero ROTJ was copper.

and didn't Master Replicas have access to the prop? They chose a dark brown color.

2) The emitter head was a separate piece, and that may account for the different sheen of metal up there. Weren't some of the celebration photos in B&W? that would cancel out any color on there neck

Screen Shot 2016-03-18 at 8.21.55 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-03-18 at 8.22.12 PM.png

I think the color effect is strongest on the windvane, regardless if it shows up other places

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back