Luke ROTJ V2 lightsaber

So I just got a V2 blank (thanks Russ.) and I noticed a few things. Wondering if there was any concensus.

I've seen several russrep and Saberfreak sabers, both using the same blueprint (Howard?) I believe. There seems to have been some back and forth as to the particular details, a sort of evolution. Two things strike me in particular:

1. Some versions have a narrow groove on the skinny neck portion closest to the grip, similar to the one on the upper neck portion. I think I might see this in the pictures, but...

2. The other is a groove right above the base of the pommel, underneath the cubes. I try and try to see this in the pictures, but for the life of my all I can see is a line of slightly different color...

What are the experts' takes on this?

(Btw, I love my blank--I think it's my new favorite saber, and I haven't even got it painted.)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cayman shen @ Feb 11 2007, 05:05 AM) [snapback]1416069[/snapback]</div>
2. The other is a groove right above the base of the pommel, underneath the cubes. I try and try to see this in the pictures, but for the life of my all I can see is a line of slightly different color...[/b]
I'm no expert, all I can do is share how my version ended up with the groove.

This is the photo that convinced many there's a groove after the pommel.

49953037.jpg

The highlights on the band behind the pommel suggests there's some kind of groove. I went with the wants of the many and had the groove put in.

After studying the few-and-far-between screencaps and the picture posted by Saberfreak above, I then included the three grooves in my blueprint (with a respectful nod to Darth Saber. ;) ) which russ produced his V2 runs from.

Here's a comp pic. This is from the last run. The saber was sold.
As you can see it's close, but there's still a few tweaks needed.

V2comparisonpictureRPF.jpg

That's the picture I was looking at. I guess I can buy it. Also the groove in the lower neck section. The thing is, I can see a line on the pommel, but no indent at the edge. I also can't see it in the few pictures of the saber from ANH.

Now, I totally see why it's on most of the replicas I've seen, but is it possible it's a chrome tape line?

About the neck, I think I do see an indent there. But the "line" could be a paint chip in the highlighted spot as well. Granted, the line looks too regular to be a paint chip, but still.

On a side note, I really like the weathering you did on the neck and emitter, Howard. Man I'm itching to do mine.

It was a tough call - to include the grooves.
I just thought they would add a little more interest to the saber - plus I decided to go with what I can see.

The weathering took a while on the emitter.
The paint's just auto satin, allowed to dry then chipped off with my fingernails.
The weathering on the 'booster' section was easy. I just wiped off the paint with a paper towel when it was wet.

I agree about the grooves. The fact is, a totally accurate V2 isn't likely to be. I mean, even just look at the pommel cubes. Can you imagine the amount of work it would take to make them so misshapen and then cast them? Who needs that kind of pain.

Offhand, do you remember the brand of paint you used? Did it come off easy when you sanded the ring section and use your nails? I ask because I like the paint's finish a lot. I've been going back and forth on flat, semi-flat, satin, etc.

Probably not the right thread for this, but I'd like to point out - copper paint on the 'windvane'. It also looks like there's a groove at the base of the emitter nipple.

lukev2chair.jpg

Hell no - post away. Great cap.

If you play about with the brightness then contrast in PS, you'll see there's also a hint of the 'copper' colour on the emitter face.
Could this be rust? Are we looking at a steel saber.
I guess not. :(

The groove around the base of the emitter nipple is a thin raised ridge, like a step.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cayman shen @ Feb 11 2007, 06:24 PM) [snapback]1416565[/snapback]</div>
I agree about the grooves. The fact is, a totally accurate V2 isn't likely to be. I mean, even just look at the pommel cubes. Can you imagine the amount of work it would take to make them so misshapen and then cast them? Who needs that kind of pain.

Offhand, do you remember the brand of paint you used? Did it come off easy when you sanded the ring section and use your nails? I ask because I like the paint's finish a lot. I've been going back and forth on flat, semi-flat, satin, etc.
[/b]

It was just Halfords (U.K. auto store) own brand of satin black primer. Nothing special about it.
It came off pretty easy - I didn't sand the ring section. I polished the rings with T-Cut applied via a felt wheel with a dremel, then cleaned off any residue and painted. Then just ran my fingernail around the edge to remove the paint, giving a nice uneven edge.

Latest official word from MR, along with the shared stunt - the real V2 is coming.

"AS YOU KNOW, THERE ARE 2 LIGHTSABERS, THE SHARED STUNT AND THE V2 WHICH IS THE ONE THAT LUKE CARRIED THROUGH MOST OF THE FILM. THE BLUEPRINT THAT WE SHOWED AT TOY FAIR WAS BASED ON THE SHARED STUNT SABER THAT IS IN THE ARCHIVES.

WE ARE GOING TO MAKE THE BLACK V2 THAT YOU SEE IN MOST OF THE FILM . WE HAVE OBTAINED SOME NEW, REALLY GREAT REFERENCE OF THIS SABER.
"

wow

if MR makes a great replica of the V2, count me in as interested :)

I'm interested to see what changes (if any) they'll make, based on the additional reference shots they have...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Shinobi @ Mar 8 2007, 07:53 AM) [snapback]1434501[/snapback]</div>
wow

if MR makes a great replica of the V2, count me in as interested :)

I'm interested to see what changes (if any) they'll make, based on the additional reference shots they have...
[/b]

I couldn't agree more.

Thanks for the cap, jakob2121.

Howard.

Me too... hopefully MR has access to the original piece. I thought it was rumored that the V2 is the one Mark Hamill has.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sumatra @ Dec 15 2005, 09:49 PM) [snapback]1136990[/snapback]</div>
Here's mine. It was made by Viper1357. It's based on one of his hero sabers, but it was modified and repainted.

luke_rotj_v2-1.jpg

[/b]

That looks sick.
I think It looks better than the original prop :p

My only fear with the MR v2 is that if they make this for the general collectors public, they will have to idealize the prop too much.

I would really love to see this saber done using a cast aluminum base, w/ visiable seam lines and a crappy paint job (like the original) Howverb I feal that this will not be what we get.

Dan

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JoblessPunk @ Mar 8 2007, 05:35 PM) [snapback]1434806[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sumatra @ Dec 15 2005, 09:49 PM) [snapback]1136990[/snapback]
Here's mine. It was made by Viper1357. It's based on one of his hero sabers, but it was modified and repainted.

luke_rotj_v2-1.jpg

[/b]

That looks sick.
I think It looks better than the original prop :p
[/b][/quote]

Why thank you.. :$ It's been a while since I've seen that. It's weird how I just jump on the board from time to time, and every now and then I see something I've made in the past show up. :)

Just thought I would add Probe Droid's excellent preview photo from the new Making of Star Wars book into this thread since some people were asking for clearer photos of the 'conduit' which appears to be just a bent nail (as Lonepigeon suggested) after all :)

owkclosefd7.jpg

Also, I now have a better scanner so as soon as I can get some software installed I'll re-scan my vintage color ROTJ lobby cards of the heroes group shot and Ewok Village that have been posted so many times.

I'm loving the shared stunt saber more and more....that photo really does it for me. The nail looks really "thick" in that pic. I'm trying to figure how it could fit through the clamp.......

Is the red raised button where the rotoscope was turned on from? Another cool aspect of the shared stunt.

I agree that a fan based V2 will look better than any idealized version MR will produce with a pristine or airbrushed paintjob. I love their ROTJ Luke hero however and still love my weathered OB1 ANH....I'd only prefer an all original parts one over it.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back