Luke ROTJ V2 lightsaber

I think this info has out for a while now. I read it in a thread (here I believe) a few months ago.

Here is a quote I kept "Yep, the V2 is a second Kenobi stunt saber from ANH. It came from the same mold as the "shared stunt". It still had a blade attached during ESB when Mark Hamill used it for saber practice."

I believe it is from MR rep., not sure which one.

I may be getting things mixed up here, so if I am wrong, just ignore this post. :)

Last edited:
I think this info has out for a while now. I read it in a thread (here I believe) a few months ago.

Here is a quote I kept "Yep, the V2 is a second Kenobi stunt saber from ANH. It came from the same mold as the "shared stunt". It still had a blade attached during ESB when Mark Hamill used it for saber practice."

I believe it is from MR rep., not sure which one.

I may be getting things mixed up here, so if I am wrong, just ignore this post. :)

I believe that's a quote from me.
For the record I do no think the V2 is the same saber as the shared stunt.
I know Barry at MR speculated it might be at one time, but I thought he changed his mind (unless the text was written awhile ago).

There's just too many differences between the two sabers.
The clamps are completely different, as are the emitters.
Why get rid of the nipple on the emitter? It makes it look more like the "Hero".

Both sabers are out of the same molds though that's for sure.

I believe that's a quote from me.
For the record I do no think the V2 is the same saber as the shared stunt.
I know Barry at MR speculated it might be at one time, but I thought he changed his mind (unless the text was written awhile ago).

There's just too many differences between the two sabers.
The clamps are completely different, as are the emitters.
Why get rid of the nipple on the emitter? It makes it look more like the "Hero".

Both sabers are out of the same molds though that's for sure.

I am not sure where I got the Quote but it had to be somewhere around the time that these post where happening- http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=1862&highlight=shared+stunt&page=15

But I could be wrong... brain damaged I am. :wacko

I don't suppose i could bother you to get a few dimensions could I? Your saber looks pretty sweet and i'm at a stand still with machining mine. I mostly need to know the correct width of the ribbed handle and the proper radius of the grooves. also the button since that's not even in any blueprints i've seen.

Well, the first image I posted of my V.2 was taken using my scanner (which caused some warping in the image)/ Here' are some recent pics taken with a camera -

IMG_1315web.jpg

IMG_1313web.jpg

DS

Would there be any interest in a "acurate" V2? We could have one machined in wood then cast in aluminum? I personally love this prop but I want wood grain and mould lines on mine!! This prop is the ultimate example of why I love the OT props the most because they are so grungy! Just like the ANH Vader!

-Mike

This prop is the ultimate example of why I love the OT props the most because they are so grungy! Just like the ANH Vader!

-Mike
I agree. The PT props, the lightsaber hilts in particular, look too "pretty" and clean. I realize they're supposed to represent the last remnants of the Old Republic, but they're too "artistic" and "stylized" for my tastes. The OT lightsaber hilts look like weapons that were cobbled together and used in combat. I also prefer the "flickering" effect used for the lightsaber blades in the OT over the solid "glow" effect used in the PT; to me, it just looks more realistically like something that would be projected from such a small hand-held device.

I agree. The PT props, the lightsaber hilts in particular, look too "pretty" and clean. I realize they're supposed to represent the last remnants of the Old Republic, but they're too "artistic" and "stylized" for my tastes. The OT lightsaber hilts look like weapons that were cobbled together and used in combat. I also prefer the "flickering" effect used for the lightsaber blades in the OT over the solid "glow" effect used in the PT; to me, it just looks more realistically like something that would be projected from such a small hand-held device.

YEP! I know I wa exposed to the OT sabers as a kid, but even to this day I study pictures of the originals with such a fascination. They look like they have a real mechanical purpose because the did. The parts they came from were designed for a specific purpose. That simple fact gives the weapons a texture and quality of realism that nothing in the PT came within light years of.

And you could not be more right about the flickering blade effect in the OT. That gave the weapon a life, and seemed almost in sync with the hum. It was part of the mystique. The sabers, primarily in AOTC and ROTS look lifeless, like still shots. Especially when Anakin draws down on Palpatine in his office. That scene really bothered me when I saw it. The blades also don't look like they're in the same space as the actors in some shots, like that Palpy scene. And, why did the blade points change in each of the PT films? ESB had the best sabers, hands down. In addition to the slightly fuzzy glow and flickering blade, I also prefer the slight taper to the blades that the OT had. Good stuff.

meaning you can't just hand them over to a machinist and say make me one.
Well actually you can.

I passed this exact blueprint to a machine shop and I ended up with this:

CustomROTJ024.jpg

I filled out the missing dimensions with measurements from other blueprints I found, but the areas with the missing dimensions is the least of the problems...

Here's a comaprison with the screen used Stunt:

LukeStuntCompared.jpg

Just found this thread a couple of days ago and I keep reading it over and over agian. The V2 has been released for some time now but I feel that my MR replica isn't that accurate any more after reading this thread.
The story behind the ROTJ saber is incredible. Very interesting.
So if I'm getting this right, then this Obi stunt saber........
owkclosefd7po6.jpg

comes closest to this V2 (as first build version), besides the circuit board, clamp lever and conical knob.
v2blhead3.jpg

Now I wanna make me an Obi Stunt saber, because this one is the mother of all :).

Well, I think the paintjob is a bit of. Too much of its original black paint is gone (compared to other fanmade sabers). And it seems to look a bit too clean for a weathered saber. No scratches and stuff. I know I can do that myself but hey, other than that it looks great.
That brings me to another subject. If Luke had constructed this saber just as he arrived on Tatooine, why does ik look so weathered? Shouldn't it look new? Was he completely lightsaberless in the periode between TESB and ROTJ? Just some issues if been living with a couple of decades.

The Obi stunt saber is the Luke V2. The Cone knob was added to the hole left when the on/off switch was removed.

The Obi stunt saber was used as a practicing saber for the actors, thus most of the black paint was worn off during practice.

When Luke went to built a new saber, he went to Obi-Wan's old hut and used his old spare parts, thus a dirty and worn looking hilt was created.

Then someone realized they needed a new, shinny looking one to sell toys and the Hero was made from a newly milled bladed stunt used on ROTJ. (not really to sell toys, but the close-up shot was not filmed with the rest of the scene on Endor).

Would there be any interest in a "acurate" V2? We could have one machined in wood then cast in aluminum? I personally love this prop but I want wood grain and mould lines on mine!! This prop is the ultimate example of why I love the OT props the most because they are so grungy! Just like the ANH Vader!

-Mike

Honestly,
thats the ONLY way to do one right...

The Obi stunt saber is the Luke V2. The Cone knob was added to the hole left when the on/off switch was removed.

The Obi stunt saber was used as a practicing saber for the actors, thus most of the black paint was worn off during practice.

When Luke went to built a new saber, he went to Obi-Wan's old hut and used his old spare parts, thus a dirty and worn looking hilt was created.

Then someone realized they needed a new, shinny looking one to sell toys and the Hero was made from a newly milled bladed stunt used on ROTJ. (not really to sell toys, but the close-up shot was not filmed with the rest of the scene on Endor).

Well that old spare parts stuff sure makes sense. I get it now. Thanks!
About the worn paint, I know that, but I think they overdid it a little.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back