Luke ROTJ V2 lightsaber

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kurtyboy @ Mar 17 2007, 04:00 AM) [snapback]1441902[/snapback]</div>
We need more info on this 'lever'.

Maybe once we have the MR it will help us identify it?
[/b]

I wonder if someone (Russ?) could replicate the lever with the reference available, with the thread size to fit the existing Graflex clamp, until a time (if and when) the real part has been I'D'd?

owkclosefd7po6zx4.jpg

Not to sound cheesy, but I assume some good samaritan will replicate the lever after MR releases their saber. I mean, I have no intention of buying an MR, but I'd love to accurize my Russrep as much as possible. If the lever was a found part, it should be fair game, right?

If the shared stunt measures 290mm (does it? That's the length which keeps popping up as I research this) is the 'nipple' part on the V2 emitter in addition to the 290mm, making the V2 slightly longer?

Just noticed this while watching Garret Gilchrist's incredible documentary 'Deleted Magic'. The footage originally came from VH1's 'When Star Wars Rulled The World'.

No Exactra bubble strip lens on this shared stunt just before Vader cuts Ben down in ANH.

benstunt.jpg

Its not easy to keep the bubble strip on the clamp unless the prop maker make a conscientious effort to secure it properly every time before handing it to the actor. I can't count how many times the bubble strip or bus card fell off one of my sabers, even after I made sure its securely clamped in.

You can count the 13 gold lines on this which I scanned from one of my vintage ROTJ lobby cards.

Its hard to say for sure but the gold lines look almost two tone - like the HP44 circuit boards.

v2_2.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kurtyboy @ Apr 1 2007, 05:26 AM) [snapback]1452795[/snapback]</div>
Has it been confirmed if the cone knob is knurled or not?
[/b]

Not yet, as far as I'm aware.

Great pic BTW Marcus.

The V2 is the saber prop that Mark wore on his belt through most of the filiming of ROTJ.

It is made out of one of the OWK stunt sabers that was left over from ANH. The body is made from cast aluminum. The casting was made from a woden master made by the floor affects people for ANH.

Dan Stokes
DDStokes@aol.com

Sorry if this has been covered before, but is this the actual wooden master?:

Very different from this:

Also was there ever actually a saber in R2s' dome because that would mean three stunts were made, correct?:

Last edited:
The wooden master was cast in metal but never used itself.
Top one is the "shared stunt" under poor light conditions. Note the standard Graflex lever, not the extra long one like the V2.

Middle one is a completely new ROTJ stunt, not an ANH re-use.
Note that the control box is a solid hunk of aluminum, not a Graflex band.

The R2 firing stunts were discussed awhile back when one sold on eBay.
IIRC there were maybe 3 of those made?

I'm not sure what the exact number of ROTJ stunts is.
- 2 reused from ANH ("shared stunt" and "V2")
- New stunt seen above.
- So-called "Hero" saber, it could take a blade, but doesn't seem to appear in the movie (version made by everyone including MR).
- Resin copy of so-called "Hero" seen on exhibit, no idea if screen used.
- Real "Hero" seen in closeup of Vader's hands, looks like new stunt seen above, but circuit board intact (could be same prop).
-R2 firing stunts - they made a few.

There could be even more ROTJ Luke sabers.

Thanks for all the info Chris. Wow, I wasn't aware that so many had been made. I guess there isn't an actual "standard" Luke ROTJ saber, just depends on which you choose to get. I thought the wonky saber in the first pic indicated that it may have been made of wood because of the coloring and odd shape. Thanks for the clarification.

What a great read! It's a beautiful day in sunny Southern California and I'm bent over my MacBook reading this awesome thread. Thanks! Now I've got to start my day.

Two things before I go.

I believe Howard made note of the groove around the base of the emitter nipple. Wasn't the emitter nipple on the V2 a plug? I did not see that fact in this posting.

Also, I thought there were HD screen caps floating around here. This posting could really use a few of those grabs.

Also, I thought there were HD screen caps floating around here. This posting could really use a few of those grabs.

Definately could use some HD caps of the V2 weathering. Specifically the lower band beneath the clamp. Been holding off on finishing my V2 for lack of clear reference pics

The wooden master was cast in metal but never used itself.
Top one is the "shared stunt" under poor light conditions. Note the standard Graflex lever, not the extra long one like the V2.

Middle one is a completely new ROTJ stunt, not an ANH re-use.
Note that the control box is a solid hunk of aluminum, not a Graflex band.

The R2 firing stunts were discussed awhile back when one sold on eBay.
IIRC there were maybe 3 of those made?

I'm not sure what the exact number of ROTJ stunts is.
- 2 reused from ANH ("shared stunt" and "V2")
- New stunt seen above.
- So-called "Hero" saber, it could take a blade, but doesn't seem to appear in the movie (version made by everyone including MR).
- Resin copy of so-called "Hero" seen on exhibit, no idea if screen used.
- Real "Hero" seen in closeup of Vader's hands, looks like new stunt seen above, but circuit board intact (could be same prop).
-R2 firing stunts - they made a few.

There could be even more ROTJ Luke sabers.

Chris, I'd like to hear why you think that the saber shown in Vader's hands is not the metal Luke Hero from MOM.

Dan
DDStokes@aol.com

Last edited:
Chris, I'd like to hear why you think that the saber shown in Vader's hands is not the metal Luke Hero from MOM.

Dan
DDStokes@aol.com

Barry from MR pointed it out to me.
The control box on the prop in that scene doesn't have the wide two step copper lip to it. It only has a thin strip of copper L stock holding the striped panel on. The copper edge of the MoM saber control box is a good 1/8th inch wider on each side because of its two step construction.

If they are the same saber the top of the control box was modified after this scene was filmed - maybe to make it slide open and reveal insides?

The three fins of the grip area shown do match the MoM saber (2 thing then 1 wider), but the stunt saber seen above (middle pic) also matches in this way. I suspect all the new machined sabers had the same uneven grip ridges.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back