Luke Hero / Cave / MoM Build - DaveP Run

Hylo133

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi everyone!

Since I didn't see a dedicated thread for builds related to this run yet, I figured I'd open one myself to show my progress :). For anyone else working on one of these, feel free to jump in and share your builds!

Big shout out to DaveP for making this wonderful kit available, it was a blast putting it together. His thread can be found here.

A few details on my build:

-The bronze/gold color on the 'windvane' section is a Humbrol 54 Brass Metallic Acrylic Spray. It's a somewhat delicate paint to work with, needing a lot of time to set, but the color is wonderful. In stronger light sources the color leans towards a nice antique gold, while in darker settings it tends to lean a bit more towards bronze.

-I 'aged' the control box rails with a light touch of acrylic paints and pens to make it lean a bit more towards a deeper bronze tone without losing sight of the actual material underneath. The grey rails underneath were painted with a custom mix of paints.

-Some fake rust was added to the grub screw in the emitter to match the actual prop a bit more and I added a bit of green to the edges of the clamp card. A tiny bit of weathering was added to a few sections of the hilt.

-As Dave mentioned in his Project Run thread, it can be tricky to screw in the tiny screws beneath the red and green arrows. Mine also didn't go in fully flush, but fixed this by simply snapping off close to a millimeter at the end of each one. Fitted like a glove afterwards.

-The 3d printed PCB inside the control box was probably one of the most difficult things I've ever painted. The details are just incredibly tiny. Probably repainted the whole thing 3 times over before being happy with it!

-I will probably still end up smoothing out the screw on the second emitter ring a bit more.

PICS!

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

6.png

7.png

Hanging out with its KR Graflex (B-Stock) predeccessor :).

8.png

And for a bit of fun with flashes and photoshop: an attempt to recreate one of the shots of the original props in the reference thread (credit of course to whoever took the original!)

9.png

Last edited:
You've done an absolutely fantastic job there! Thanks for posting. It's great to see these being finished to such a high standard. :)

Thank you so much Dave!

All credit goes to you for designing such a great and accurate kit!

Made more progress over the weekend by sanding down the emitter screw to more closely match the original prop. Not an easy task to screw it in once sanded down!

Had to temporarily glue it to the end of another screw to get it back into the emitter, then covered it with a bit of Molotow Chrome to more closely match the color of the emitter.

Also some credit to Poikilotherm for doing something similar on his build.

grb2.png

Original prop (from reference thread).

grb1.png

In my attempt to install LED's in my Hero, I ended up snapping my 3D printed board into pieces, but will luckily soon have Dave's new PCB to look forward to!

Taking a lot of inspiration from BRRogers' build here (he deserves all the credit) I decided to try and put together my own retro set-up for blinking LEDs that would fit under the PCB. And with a lot of incredibly tiny and messy soldering work behind me, I'm happy to report it worked!

Leds-Internal.png

The LEDs are self blinking and powered by two AG1 size 1.5V coin cells taped together. Interior of the box was painted black to reduce any risk of short circuiting.

I moved the micro switch to the back of the control box in the hopes that with a section cut off the PCB as on the original prop, I'll be able to switch lights without moving anything internally. Quick video:

Amazing!

First off, that Humbrol is a really.... really good color. This is one of the most beautiful builds I've seen (no knock on others of course :) )

Great work with that circuit. One day... I hope someone puts together an instruction thing for us non-educated in electronics folks. I can solder but really don't understand much beyond the uses of each part of the circuit. Really good work, I hope to do this in mine

Amazing!

First off, that Humbrol is a really.... really good color. This is one of the most beautiful builds I've seen (no knock on others of course :) )

Great work with that circuit. One day... I hope someone puts together an instruction thing for us non-educated in electronics folks. I can solder but really don't understand much beyond the uses of each part of the circuit. Really good work, I hope to do this in mine

Thank you so much, really appreciate it!

If I have time next week I'll put together a simple drawing detailing the parts and connections. The fact that everything is so tiny is more difficult than the actual set-up :lol:.

BCE46020-7428-4F5A-96AC-5E81610329D7.jpeg

This is my simplified schematic. How it is soldered and wired is up to anyone... but, it’s pretty straight forward and the most simplistic wiring pattern I can derive. I believe you’ve accomplished it handily already Hylo133
It appears you used the blinking LEDs too... which vary Hz based on battery voltage.

View attachment 1339821
This is my simplified schematic. How it is soldered and wired is up to anyone... but, it’s pretty straight forward and the most simplistic wiring pattern I can derive. I believe you’ve accomplished it handily already Hylo133
It appears you used the blinking LEDs too... which vary Hz based on battery voltage.

Nice! My wiring was more or less the same, the only difference being the use of the smaller individual batteries.

My LED's only have a standard blinking pattern. Would actually recommend anyone trying this next to pick up ones with a faster blinking pattern to more closely match the prop.

Made more progress over the weekend by sanding down the emitter screw to more closely match the original prop. Not an easy task to screw it in once sanded down!

Had to temporarily glue it to the end of another screw to get it back into the emitter, then covered it with a bit of Molotow Chrome to more closely match the color of the emitter.

Also some credit to Poikilotherm for doing something similar on his build.

View attachment 1329362

Original prop (from reference thread).

View attachment 1329363

Love it

Nice! My wiring was more or less the same, the only difference being the use of the smaller individual batteries.

My LED's only have a standard blinking pattern. Would actually recommend anyone trying this next to pick up ones with a faster blinking pattern to more closely match the prop.

what was odd was that for the blinking leds (datasheet) I found the low end Hz should have been fast enough to match the scene; however even using a 1.5v soloBattery they’re still not quite fast enough to match the scene. At some point I might try from a different bin (or more reliable vendor?)

Thanks for the tip about the Humbrol paint. I couldn't get the spray can in my country, so I got a pot of the enamel version and thinned it with white spirits, then applied it with my airbrush. I then did a little weathering with some Tamiya powders. The color is sooooo close to the reference pics and changes under different lighting conditions as it should. I'm thrilled with it :)

Thanks for the tip about the Humbrol paint. I couldn't get the spray can in my country, so I got a pot of the enamel version and thinned it with white spirits, then applied it with my airbrush. I then did a little weathering with some Tamiya powders. The color is sooooo close to the reference pics and changes under different lighting conditions as it should. I'm thrilled with it :)

That's really good to hear! The way in which the color shifts was a very pleasant surprise when I used it the first time.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back