Lt. CMDR Data (Brent Spiner) sculpt

Re: Lt. Data (Brent Spiner) sculpt

I think the likeness is fantastic, especially for your third human sculpture! Congrats!! Regardless of the bad phone photos, I still think I'd add some more size to the back of his cranium. I could be wrong, though. You should post a profile pic, regardless.

Cheers,

Ryan

I think the likeness is fantastic, especially for your third human sculpture! Congrats!! Regardless of the bad phone photos, I still think I'd add some more size to the back of his cranium. I could be wrong, though. You should post a profile pic, regardless.

Cheers,

Ryan

I appreciate the comments and critiques are well taken, here is a profile shot. I had a great profile shot of a lifecast I used which was easier because it was a head and shoulder piece. Please keep in mind I havent done much past the face itself, I sorta did the ears because they are harder to keep wet.

Dataprofile_zpsa214bc76.jpg

That's a lot better than what I thought by seeing the last set of pics. You really nailed that face. Maybe it was just the open "port" there that was throwing me off in the frontal views. Keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Ryan

Here's a pretty good picture of the back port...

data's head.JPG

untitled.JPG

untitled more.JPG

Last edited:

I did some internet searching... isn't the internet awesome!!! This is what I was thinking for electronics, I think this is the most iconic version. With this decent resolution closeup/capture it should be pretty strait forward to reproduce. Take a look...

View attachment 181088
I'm pretty sure that's from the first episode of season 4 when Data was jacked in to Locutus/Picard. I just watched it last night and that looks like the plug. So if you want to watch it light up there you go.

Really impressive!. I recognized him even in the thumbnails and only in your third attempt. I want to try a portrait but i don't dare yet.

Thanks guys, just a few more small tweaks and I'll be molding this thing. For those who have asked I'm not even sure which way I want to run these yet since some will no doubt want resin vs foam so price hasn't entered my mind at this stage. Heres another shot from today and a little cheesy photoshop fun.

DSC06458.JPGB.jpg

The only problem I have with it now is those brow lines...They look way too unnatural. If you tone them down a bit, it would help sell your overall design. Everything else is fantastic!

Cheers,

Ryan

The only problem I have with it now is those brow lines...They look way too unnatural. If you tone them down a bit, it would help sell your overall design. Everything else is fantastic!

Cheers,

Ryan

Unnatural how? In their pattern or the depth the light shows in the pics? I think you'd be right in blending at least the right side in better...the left (looking at it) in person is much softer. As for orientation I traced them off of a picture and tried placing them that way so I'm fairly happy but I'm always open to suggestions. I wish I didnt suck at photography, I managed to get a decent skin texture on the forehead.

I have been rotating this around under a light and its amazing all the bad spots that show up...thanks very much for the input. :thumbsup

Vadermonkey: Sorry for taking so long to respond. I meant that they look a bit unnatural because they still appear too much like tool marks in clay (again, only judging by the last photos you posted above)...Normally, relaxed human forehead lines for a person that around that age are pretty subtle and flow very naturally across the forehead. Sorry I can't be much more specific than that; it's hard for me to describe. Here are a couple photos for reference:

http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/generationshd/generationshd1035.jpg
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110309055904/memoryalpha/en/images/7/7a/Data,_2379.jpg

Cheers,

Ryan

Thanks for those pics Ryan! :thumbsup

Good news: I fixed the forehead and was able to achieve a much better texture in the process as well as fixed some eye line wrinkles.

Bad News: Damn if he didnt start cracking last night...I was letting him dry out a bit for molding.

Good News: He is fixed!

Bad News: I was forced to dip him in silicone a little earlier than I would have wanted to (i.e. I was up all night)...no worries though since I'm happy with it, just didnt get to take pics. Also his ear and eyebrow cracked as I was brushing the print coat.

Good news: He was fixed again and is now molded! Let me tell you, it sucks to be sculpting with one hand and brushing silicone with the other!

On another note, here is an attempt at coloring.. I know the actual make up is said to be more gold-ish in person than pics so I'm trying to strike a decent balance of what we perceive vs what he actually looks like. Opinions welcome.

photo_zps62d00412.jpg

Here it is...mostly done, still needs some hairline tweaks and eyebrows/lashes. This one is more of a practice...Im still getting some help with the color although I really like what I have come up with...I wish the tones would have shown in these.

Comp 2.jpg

DSC06479.JPG

DSC06488.JPG

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back