LOST - was like a messy kids room

Guri

Sr Member
While trying to articulate to someone how I could love the show so much now, even though I was so stressed in the middle of the series, I came up with an analogy that I think fits my experience pretty well.

So here's my analysis of my emotional reaction to LOST.

Lost Season 1 and 2 is like starting with an empty kids room... where in you are getting all kinds of fun, new, mysterious toys and you're having a blast watching them pour in, like Christmas every week!

BEST SHOW EVER! It's so exciting and you're talking about everything you're getting with whoever will listen.

But then, by Season 3 you're starting to getting overwhelmed. Christmas every week was great at first, but now, there's too much coming in and too much there to be able to play with it all at once. You're going from toy to toy, to new toy and beginning to feel stressed, unsure what to do... maybe even fighting with people over what should be played with and what new toy you want next week.

Season 4 feels to me like a kids room that hasn't been cleaned out for years.

It's such a mess that you can't figure out which toys and games are amazing great fun (Jack's We have to go back!) and which ones are just junky toys that are thrown in there for an instant gratification moment to make you feel like you're getting something new...(Ben not killing Widmore because 'you know I can't do that'...a rule without any real importance for the show at all.)

I wouldn't say it's quite like those shows about hoarding, but it's close to that stress level, the first time through, anyway. There's so much piled up and hiding that you can't even see it all anymore. Sorting through it alone feels impossible - you need help from the writers and it doesn't feel like they're doing anything but tossing in more mysteries.

There's good to be had in Season 4, if you know what to focus on - but for me the first time through, I didn't. There was just too much going on and too much from previous episodes which hadn't been addressed and I just wanted to cry.

Season 5 is when the writers have come in and agreed to help clean up the mess. It's like when you've finally dedicated yourself to start sorting out some of the expensive and/or techy toys into what's important and valuable and you put them in safe places on the shelves. The mess is still there all over the floor, but at least you're able to put away a few things and agree with the writers that it's starting to make sense, even if there's still stuff you don't know what to do with.

Season 6 to me (starting with The Incident) is going through the older stuff that has sentimental value and importance... the mythology and the emotional connection to the characters we've grown to care about and those things on the island that are meaningful - and were literally broken or ancient - the statue foot, Richard's story, the source of power, who is Jacob? Who is the man in black, what happened to Claire?

And also, Season 6 is like the final purge where they had to make these important emotional decisions to just throw out things (and people) they are either done with, or don't know what to do with - burn the cabin, we have no room for it. We liked Ilana in the store, but when we got her home, we really have no time for her... Sun and Jin were great, but we really don't enjoy playing with them anymore.

Those final decisions are where I fight with my kids the most - and it's where fans argue the most too - what do you keep, what has sentimental value, what is too broken to fix, what should never have been brought into the mess in the first place. My kids and I don't agree on their toys and fans don't all agree with each other or the writers on which story elements should have been brought in, kept, fixed, are meaningful....

Rewatching the show, is like nostalgia. Like going through toys from your past and all the feelings coming up again - I enjoy some of it more now than I did back then... Plus, there is no stress because I know what's important and what to focus on so all that frustrating confusion isn't there for me like it was the first time through.

This might not ring true for others, but it fits for my experience, and, I just had to share... :D

Glad to see I'm not alone here! :D

I thought up an other element to this analogy: the 'some assembly required' toys with lost/missing parts and no directions, and the 'got it because it looks cool but I have no idea what it does'.

Some of us fans were fine to just ignore those, others made up something to do with them that may or may not be right, others are still working on figuring out their true purpose and hoping the writers publish schematics and others are ticked off that it doesn't work! (And may count every other toy as junk now)

blip - I love the idea of drawing those kinds of parallels! I'd imagine Richard being a tiny, but super cool figure that was too unique and old to fit with anything else in the room and ended up making sense only when they put together the ship in a bottle in Ab Aterno!

Jacob would be the kid in the middle playing with the broken statue foot. *hehe*

Someone needs to draw this for teefury.

this post made me smile.

and i'm glad I can finally look back on that show with a little less anger now that some time has passed.

very nice points, all! :)

An enlightening way of thinking about LOST.. Makes perfect sense.

I guess the writers would be compared to out of touch parents who are trying to make their kid happy by spoiling them with toy after toy (with the best intentions of course) but eventually realizing the kid is only capable of playing with a limited amount of toys at a time.

The question though is whether the writers truly had the viewers' best interest in mind, or if they were just purposely stringing the audience along in an irresponsible way..

Either way, I still love the series.

Husker - Kind of like kids looking back at their childhood and learning to forgive their parents for the mistakes? :lol

I guess the writers would be compared to out of touch parents who are trying to make their kid happy by spoiling them with toy after toy (with the best intentions of course) but eventually realizing the kid is only capable of playing with a limited amount of toys at a time.

The question though is whether the writers truly had the viewers' best interest in mind, or if they were just purposely stringing the audience along in an irresponsible way..

As a parent I am totally guilty of buying too many toys, especially early on, and junky ones that fall apart... I've also thrown things away that my kids wanted and had to endure their frustration when I wouldn't buy something because we couldn't afford it.

I don't think it's so much that they were being irresponsible but that they were learning as they went. They also had restrictions and had to answer to the network, so they weren't autonomous parents with an endless supply of resources.

We also had in Season 3 and 4 what could be looked at as the rich uncle watching the kid for a while during the writers strike. The substitutes tried to continue with the basic idea of giving the kids stuff, but we have no idea how much of the vision was passed on and discipline.

Egon - :D

Add this to the parent's perspective as a potential excuse for why there were so many toy purchases: They knew their kid was going to die, but the don't know when.

As a parent I am totally guilty of buying too many toys, especially early on, and junky ones that fall apart...

My kid got his MMR boosters today, and because he didn't object to the two needles in any way, my wife took him to Toys R Us to buy him a couple of toys of his choice. (Which turned out to be one small plastic zebra, and an ostrich from the same line. Both really beautiful, natural sculpts though, I have to say.)

While she was there, a couple was doing the same sort of thing - one kid, he had his pick of whatever he wanted. Apparently he chose the whole store: they'd literally filled a whole shopping cart. Blimey. I hope he wasn't dying or something himself.

I'm just saying this 'cos I never watched Lost, can't make a relevant comment and am feeling like just maybe I missed something worth seeing...

:lol

My kid got his MMR boosters today, and because he didn't object to the two needles in any way, my wife took him to Toys R Us to buy him a couple of toys of his choice. (Which turned out to be one small plastic zebra, and an ostrich from the same line. Both really beautiful, natural sculpts though, I have to say.)

While she was there, a couple was doing the same sort of thing - one kid, he had his pick of whatever he wanted. Apparently he chose the whole store: they'd literally filled a whole shopping cart. Blimey. I hope he wasn't dying or something himself.

I have gotten my kids toys for shots too... can't imagine not putting limits on it though - just not healthy!

I'm just saying this 'cos I never watched Lost, can't make a relevant comment and am feeling like just maybe I missed something worth seeing...

:lol

(y)thumbsup You can still watch it on Netflicks! :D

My best friend has accused me of being her crack dealer because I pushed Lost on her and now she's hooked and can think of nothing else. haha! The good thing for you is that you won't have to wait NINE MONTHS at the end of each season finale to find out what happens - they are killer suspense.

That said, shield yourself from all spoilers as much as you can if you're even thinking about watching it.

Today's (9/6) Teefury:

1311031941_BOTTOM__071815h03m59.jpg

Yeah! I bought one too. Seeing this close up, I'm so glad they gave him cuts on his face! haha! It really is brilliant.

Two years ago today Lost ended. Still miss it! I watch so much less tv since it went off the air....which is nice. It spoiled me.

Me too... Hard to believe. I'm sitting in my Lost inspired island room missing it. Maybe I should watch an episode tonight.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back