Looper Blunderbuss - Pics of Painted Slushcast Kit on pg. 18

Re: Looper Blunderbuss - Finished pics on pg. 13

Ya its been a week and some change, any progress pictures?

Okay, get ready to hate me everyone...

So since my last update, I have 100% assembled, painted and weathered ONE blunderbuss. This is from working 2-3 hours for 5 nights off. What I'm essentially saying is that I SEVERELY underestimated the amount of time it would take me to complete one of the blunderbusses. Here are the EXACT steps I took to finish the one gun.

1. Trim minimal flashing from mold line.
2. Fill/sand minor seam line along entire gun.
3. Fill/sand a MAJOR seam line on left side.
4. Dremel out mock trigger cavity.
5. Drill out loop on rear of grip.
6. Slightly Dremel out mock slide slot on underside of blunderbuss.
7. Shape muzzle perfectly round with Dremel.
8. Fill barrel opening with expanding foam.
9. Shape expanding foam to form mock barrel.
10. Add layer of spackle inside mock barrel.
11. Sand down spackle.
12. Add layer of Bondo inside mock barrel.
13. Sand down Bondo.
14. Drill small hole underneath frond endcap for bi-pod mount
15. Drill two small holes on grip where triggerguard is mounted.
16. Mount triggerguard with epoxy.
17. Rough up underside of slide with Dremel.
18. Drill several small holes on underside of slide.
19. Mount bi-pod screw with epoxy.
20. Prime all parts.
21. Base coat entire gun with Krylon Flat Black. Let dry.
22. Spray entire gun with light coat of Krylon Satin Black and immedietely dab off with paper towel. Repeat several times.
23. Mask rear endcap and basecoat grip section in Krylon Gloss Brown Boots.
24. Paint grip with variety of acrylic browns/reds.
25. Paint grip "screws" with Testor's brass.
26. Give entire grip wash of thinned down black acrylic.
27. Hand paint details with Testor's Aluminum, including slots on body and spine of grip.
28. Spray slide, triggerguard, and trigger with Krylon Matte Aluminum.
29. Wrap grip with hockey tape all the way to grip screw.
30. Use Xacto to cut hockey tape to expose trigger cavity.
31. If oversprayed with brown, repaint grip cavity with black acrylic.
32. Mount trigger with epoxy.
33. Mount triggerguard with epoxy.
34. Handpaint details on slide with black acrylic.
35. Mount slide with epoxy.
36. Weather hockey tape with watered down brown and yellow acrylics and charcoal dust.
37. Weather entire gun with drybrushed Testor's aluminum.
36. Weather aluminum sections with Testor's rust.

Keep in mind, these steps don't include the time needed for curing/drying of spackle, Bondo, epoxies, primers and paints.

After I looked at the finished gun and the logged steps...I realized that it would take me until JUNE to finish all 8 guns the exact same way...and I really don't think I'm up to spending the next eight months of my free time finishing up these guns.

That all being said, I'm offering a sort of opt-out to everyone who paid a deposit for a finished gun. You have all been very patient with me and I thank you for that, but if you still want a finished blunderbuss, it's going to take much longer I thought. If you don't want to wait any longer, here are your options:

1. Give up your gun. You will be refunded the exact amount you paid back in November.
2. Convert your order to kit form. You'll then be asked to pay the balance of the $100 unfinished, unpainted kit plus shipping and then it will be sent to you immediately.

I'm sorry it has to come to this, guys. I was basing the time it would take to finish the blunderbusses on the pretty quick build-time of the prototype...but the reason why the prototype seemed like it didn't take a lot of time is because I was on paternity leave for six weeks. Full-time job + Full-time baby = Extremely slow blunderbuss building.

So, there it is. I'm sure everyone who ordered the gun from me has been following this thread, but I'll message everyone on the First Run list who doesn't message me with their reply.

Regrettably,
Jonaas

Thanks for the update Jonaas. Any pictures of the first one you finished? Would love to see how it turned out. Sorry to hear it will be taking longer to finish =(

I'm cool with waiting but it would be the coolest if you sent them out as they're finished instead of waiting until they're ALL done.

Thanks for the update Jonaas. Is there any way you could post a picture of the one finished gun? That may help some of us decide wether or not we want to wait or drop the order.

does this essentially mean the second and third runs are canceled?

I don't think so, at least, I hope not. I think this just means we're going to have to be very, very patient.

i hope not as well, even though im pretty far down on the list, i wouldnt mind waiting a year or so to recieve one. BUT, i completely understand that these are a pretty time consuming process, and if its going to take him until june just to get the first ones done, understandably taking up all his free time.... for the next 5 months, that he might not want to continue on after that:lol

im eagerly awaiting pictures on the first one finished, and i HOPE that everyone who is on the list, that still wants one, will be able to get one, even if it does mean a bit of a wait.

I guess I wasn't specific enough, but what I'm really trying to say is I won't be finishing any more guns...even completing the first one took a lot out of me and I don't feel right making anyone wait any longer for it. That being said, I'm not going to post pics of the finished gun because only one person is getting one and I feel it's a ****ty move on my part.

Just so everyone knows I'm not trying to scam anyone, I'm giving everyone who paid the completed gun deposit the option of either getting a refund or converting their order to the unfinished, unpainted slush cast at the reduced price plus shipping.

I will be posting pics of the unfinished kit so you know exactly what you're getting. Just so we're clear, much work been done on these kits so far, including trimming, filling, and sanding of the separately cast pieces (the trigger, triggerguard, and slide)

does this essentially mean the second and third runs are canceled?

Yes and no. While I no longer plan on offering the complete gun, I will be pulling people from those list to replace those on the First Run who opted for a refund. At the very least, I'll be offering the gun in kit form.

If we went with the unfinished gun can we opt out as well?

No. I guess it was pretty obvious, but the reason why I was holding off on sending out the unfinished kits was because I was afraid of recasting (no offense). Now that I've decided that I'm only offering kits, I'll be requesting the remaining balance of your kit after I've written up the tutorial.

Again, I have to apologize to everyone in the First Run (and hell, the Second and Third Runs as well). I simply bit off more than I could chew and I'm doing my best to make things right now. Once again, I'll posting pics of the unfinished kit and after that, I'll message everyone personally for their decision.

-Jonaas

Just wanted to post pics of the unfinished kit so those of you who haven't decided whether or not you wanted to opt out could have more to go on.

100_2809_zpsa02304b4.jpg

100_2808_zpsf444fc55.jpg

100_2811_zps28e25282.jpg

100_2810_zps510e7477.jpg

100_2807_zps3defeb90.jpg

100_2806_zps7f48a566.jpg

100_2793_zps7a3375ab.jpg

100_2791_zpsf1608908.jpg

100_2800_zps80c1405e.jpg

100_2801_zps790c6fbe.jpg

43f8458c-eb5b-4c98-add4-838d8fbf1efd_zpscd19db17.jpg

However, the kits were already in the prep process, most of you will be getting a kit with parts that have already been cleaned and trimmed:

100_2813_zpse6331c8d.jpg

If you're a part of the First Run and have made your decision to go convert your order to the kit, message me. If you're just discovering this thread and would like more info on the sale, please find my sale thread in the Junkyard.

-Jonaas

I guess I wasn't specific enough, but what I'm really trying to say is I won't be finishing any more guns...even completing the first one took a lot out of me and I don't feel right making anyone wait any longer for it. That being said, I'm not going to post pics of the finished gun because only one person is getting one and I feel it's a ****ty move on my part.

Oh. Well that's a bit disappointing. I totally understand though, we can't expect you to continue slaving away for the next year or so to get all of these done!

Hello Everyone! I am a huge Rian Johnson Fan Brick, The Brothers Bloom and Looper are my most favorite movies. And this is the only movie where I can actually get a big prop. I was wondering if anyone from the first set was willing to give up there unfinished blunderbuss to me because I am in set 3 that would be awesome. I am willing to pay extra.

Oh. Well that's a bit disappointing. I totally understand though, we can't expect you to continue slaving away for the next year or so to get all of these done!

At the very least, I'm still going to be offering the gun in kit form and I'll be messaging everyone on the Second and Third Run kits to see if they're still interested (including You and KidBlue).

-Jonaas

Oh man, that's a bummer on not having completed guns but your current predicament is totally understandable.

That's a good price for the kit, but currently I don't have the skills nor the tools to get it completed. Still pondering whether I should go ahead with the kit.

Hopefully this run of kits will be less taxing and time consuming for you. Either ways, gun or no gun, it was a blast to see the progress of your great work in the last several months. Thanks for that Jonaas :thumbsup.

Oh man, that's a bummer on not having completed guns but your current predicament is totally understandable.

That's a good price for the kit, but currently I don't have the skills nor the tools to get it completed. Still pondering whether I should go ahead with the kit.

Hopefully this run of kits will be less taxing and time consuming for you. Either ways, gun or no gun, it was a blast to see the progress of your great work in the last several months. Thanks for that Jonaas :thumbsup.

And let me thank YOU for getting my work seen by Rian Johnson himself! As for the completed guns, I'm not giving up on them entirely...at the very least, I may be offering them on a case by case basis. Though I will say that if I do offer any completed guns in the future, they'll be slightly higher in price.

-Jonaas

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back