Looking for advice on achieving a very subtle oxidized steel effect

ssdesigner

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This is a 1911 airsoft pistol to start with, so it is a combo of steel and aluminum parts painted a matte black color. The add-on bits are 3D printed resin. The look I'm going for is in the photos below. In most spots its a VERY subtle oxidized red/brown effect. Some rust in areas that the gun would receive a lot of hands on use. Love to get some very specific feedback on how to achieve this look. My initial thought was to start with Al-clad on the resin parts and then weather the metal parts down a bit so that everything is on a similar starting point. Thoughts?

Attachments

• serenity51.jpg
    serenity51.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 92
  • serenity52.jpg
    serenity52.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 87
  • serenity55.jpg
    serenity55.jpg
    906.1 KB · Views: 93
  • serenity56.jpg
    serenity56.jpg
    668.8 KB · Views: 74
  • serenity59.jpg
    serenity59.jpg
    730.4 KB · Views: 79
  • serenity60.jpg
    serenity60.jpg
    988.5 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Is your subject going to be handled a lot? If not, Pigment powder is a good way to keep things subtle. Pigment Fixer will hold the colour in place.

I might suggest painting those areas a reddish brown rust color, then mist coating over with the metallic color

another alternative is using oil paints sludge washes on those areas.

i just used some humbrol metalcote polished steel spray paint on a project, you paint it then buff it and the results are great especially with a bit of weathering - could be worth a look

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back