Looking for a glue

Risu

Master Member
I need a glue with a few very specific requirements. First, it needs to harden in under an hour in open air as a solid, like 5 minute epoxy. Second, it needs to be dispensed from a squeeze tube without needing to mix it. And last, it needs to come in bulk and be affordable. I need a lot of it. Is there a glue that fits all those requirements?

My favorite glue is self-skinning foam. Glues in literally 7 minutes, and is simple to mix...though it can be a little messy at times. Its cheap too!

It's styrene. I've assembled a geometric shape and taped it together on the outside, now I need to seal all the edges from the inside before I fiberglass it. Partially to prevent the resin from leaking and partially for more rigidity while I apply the fiberglass or if I have to move it before it's done.

If you are joining parts by thin edges, then I don't think the liquid nails is the right product for you. It wants surface area and the best results come from applying the gule to the two parts, touching them together, pulling them apart (something you won't be able to do) to let the glue string, letting each side tack, then joining them back together under pressure (or vacuum bag it, if you have access to that).

It's not for long term durability, it's just something to keep the edges stuck together for a couple days, and if necessary a couple transits between the balcony and living room if it decides to rain. I'll be fiberglassing it as soon as possible. 5 minute epoxy is exactly what I want, and I could use the easy mix nozzle, but each tube of that stuff is like $7 and I'd have to go through as many as 8 of them for this project.

If I want to tack something together made from any of those foam based plastic products (ABS etc), I just use 5min super glue. I buy 6mm (2 x 3mm tubes) for $0.98. Maybe that will work for you.

If it's styrene you're joining together, you could try Plastruct's Plastic Weld Solvent Cement. I use it and it's great on plastics like acrylic, ABS and styrene. Its consistency is like water, so you can either brush it on or apply it with something like a pin point bottle or an eye dropper.

As I said, as this stuff is so watery, it runs along joins by capillary action, and because it's solvent-based it "welds" the joins together. As soon as the solvent has evaporated, it's about ready for action.

http://www.plastruct.com/Home.html

Last edited:
If it's styrene you're joining together, you could try Plastruct's Plastic Weld Solvent Cement. I use it and it's great on plastics like acrylic, ABS and styrene. Its consistency is like water, so you can either brush it on or apply it with something like a pin point bottle or an eye dropper.

As I said, as this stuff is so watery, it runs along joins by capillary action, and because it's solvent-based it "welds" the joins together. As soon as the solvent has evaporated, it's about ready for action.

http://www.plastruct.com/Home.html

Sounds like it might be the same stuff as Weldon#3. Awesome stuff, just don't breath the fumes.

That stuff sounds really great, but I definitely want something a little more viscous. I'll need to use liquid nails on the next step of this project anyways, so I'd have to buy it anyway.

The solvent range from (I'll use Weldon as the example) these companies go from water thin to a gel. Weldon #3 is water thin. Weldon #16 is a gel in tube. Both do the same job in the end of the day where they melt the surfaces and fuse them together.

Good to know. I have a couple of acrylic specific cements that match that description, but I don't know if they would work on styrene. Either way though, the liquid nails is roughly 1/5 the price.

Weldon #3 is great stuff, however you'll have to buy it on Ebay from someone who doesn't know that it isn't allowed in California. You can thank California Air Resources Board for that.

I use the extra thick gap-filling CA glue and a can of insta set for this job. Whether for filling gaps in Pepakura before rondoing or joining two halves of a full-scale fiberglass propeller blade before following up with a final join of fiberglass, this is my go-to method. I glue a 4-6 inch run, zap it, and keep moving around the piece until it's sealed. The only criteria of yours it doesn't meet is cost. Still a big $8-9 bottle goes a long way. Insta set is more expensive, but each container will get you through several bottles of CA. You can even saturate it into a piece of fiberglass cloth to do an instant small fiberglassing job. Not the most cost effective small fiberglass job, but sometimes time is money.

Redshirt

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back