Loki season 2

I think, and have thought all the way through Marvel doing it, that the timeline and multiverse stories just weaken our caring about all the characters...It makes it too easy to swap new actors in if needed, and too easy to obfuscate the "laws" around life and death that make all the stories "meaningful".....None of that really matters if there's a billion and one multiverses to focus on and care about.......We can handle one, two maybe (Across the Spiderverse and No Way Home prove that), but unless we've taken the time to get invested in the characters FROM those other timelines (make them ours...) we just don't care....

Marvel has thrown so many possible timelines out, that it makes it very hard to know why we should care about any of the new characters we're given, which of course, means those stories are a lot less meaningful or interesting to us as fans, to watch....

Marvel does it in the books too, but at least there, they DO come back to the original timeline to focus us more frequently.....The Multiverse IS fun, and it DOES open up much more storytelling options, but we need TIME to care about those timelines too, and Marvel hasn't given us that at all....That, plus the non-linear nature of it all makes it very hard to remain focused on characters we care about (as we did with the first Avengers movie)......It feels like they've spread the butter too thinly over the bread this time......

Doesn't mean it's over, but it does mean they have to focus us back on a group we DO know and care about, if they're to get back to something close to Endgame greatness....We'll see I guess!
I feel similarly about how the multiverse characters have been used. In Spder-Man: No Way Home, we cared more about those multiverse characters because they were established characters and actors that we had more of a relationship to. When they introduce multiverse characters just to kill them off, as in Doctor Strange 2, it feels meaningless, since there's no time with the characters. It just seems like a cheap stunt. The Flash movie was a mix, getting Keaton to return but also a new Supergirl,
and also killing them off.
It's possible these multiverse characters could return (with the same actors portraying them), since we're dealing with infinite possibilities, but that also minimizes any feeling of loss that we might have when they kill them off only to bring them back through a multiverse conceit. Gammora returning after Infinity War in the MCU was at least handled in an interesting way in GOTG Vol 3, so that there was some emotional resonance with the character.

I've been watching Star Trek: Voyager recently and noticed the season 4 two-parter, "Year of Hell" bears a lot of similarity to Loki. The plot involves a man that has a "weapon" that can alter time and uses it to eliminate entire societies from ever existing in an attempt to "restore" the timeline for his own society's gain (and his personal life). It's pretty similar to He Who Remains and the TVA pruning timelines to maintain and restore the "true" timeline. I wonder if it served as any inspiration for Loki, intentionally or not. I realize there's probably other similar sci-fi stories that exist, but Voyager is more mainstream and more likely to have been seen by the creators of Loki's storyline.

Regardless, it's a pretty good story, worth a watch if you haven't seen it. Kurtwood Smith (most known for portraying Red Forman on That 70s Show) guest stars and puts in a great performance.

I've been watching Star Trek: Voyager recently and noticed the season 4 two-parter, "Year of Hell" bears a lot of similarity to Loki. The plot involves a man that has a "weapon" that can alter time and uses it to eliminate entire societies from ever existing in an attempt to "restore" the timeline for his own society's gain (and his personal life). It's pretty similar to He Who Remains and the TVA pruning timelines to maintain and restore the "true" timeline. I wonder if it served as any inspiration for Loki, intentionally or not. I realize there's probably other similar sci-fi stories that exist, but Voyager is more mainstream and more likely to have been seen by the creators of Loki's storyline.

Regardless, it's a pretty good story, worth a watch if you haven't seen it. Kurtwood Smith (most known for portraying Red Forman on That 70s Show) guest stars and puts in a great performance.
Don't forget Voyager's finale "Endgame" and Avengers Endgame share a little story DNA. I'm sure Feige has said he is a Star Trek fan which just made me appreciate him even more.

So we’re just meant to assume that the TVA can take care of Kang variants that otherwise took a multiversal war to eliminate? Like that just seems too convenient. Prune the most powerful variants, and you can leave all the timelines alone. Why didn’t He Who Remains think of that?

Does anyone know what the music was that was playing at the very beginning while the MARVEL logos were happening? Was that a real song or just something made for the show? Because it sounded awesome!! I'd love to have that.

So we’re just meant to assume that the TVA can take care of Kang variants that otherwise took a multiversal war to eliminate? Like that just seems too convenient. Prune the most powerful variants, and you can leave all the timelines alone. Why didn’t He Who Remains think of that?

If Marvel pulls the plug on the Kang saga then yes. If Marvel goes ahead then no. Also, this is the first time that the TVA has been in existence "before" the war (whatever before means in this context). usually it is destroyed in the explosion.

616 H.W.R. variant was from the last Ant Man & Wasp movie?
yes

God, I absolutely LOVED that finale! :love: And was also incredibly moved by it. Loki coming full circle and finally achieving his 'glorious purpose' but in a way that he (and we) could never in a million years have predicted when the character was first introduced in the MCY all those years ago. Brilliant. For me, Tom Hiddleston's sublime performance and committment to the role has made Loki the break-out character of the MCU - never more so than in the TV series. Some of the best use of CGI I've seen for a long while in the ending sequence, and Natalie Holt's music throughout has been exceptional.

I'm hoping we see Mobius and the other TVA operatives again in some future installment too. I loved Owen Wilson's chemistry with Tom Hiddleston, and Wunmi Mosaku, Eugene Cordero and Ke Huy Quan were also terrific, as was Sophie Di Martino.

I'm actually much less enamoured of Jonathan Majors's strangely mannered, lifeless and rather uncharismatic Kang, to be honest, so could happily go along with a continuation of the 'multiverse' storyline with or without him.

I half expect in some future storyline seeing Miss Minutes team up with Ultron, but that's pure speculation on my part.
Sad it ended but glad it happened!
20231031_073153.jpg

The second series was fantastic and the finale was a bittersweet experience and thoroughly enjoyable.
If this is the end then I'm satisfied, if we see Loki again then they certainly left things open for him.

We were spoiled as fans last week, with the Loki finale and The Marvels both on the same day.
A great time to be a fan.

Loved the series. Easily the best of the MCU shows for me alongside Hawkeye.

Loki always wanted a throne, craved it - felt he was owed it... but when he finally got it he really didn't want it, but took it because he had to in order to save his friends, leaving him alone (one of his biggest fears). Awesome. And then he builds the timelines into Yggdrasil - The World Tree. Very fitting.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back