Lightsaber builds: V2, V3, Obi Stunt, Vader ROTJ & Technical Manual Saber

Country Paul

Sr Member
I've debated whether or not to post this build thread because I know it's not accurate, but I put a lot of work into this saber & figured it was worth sharing :)

this was I think the 2nd lightsaber I bought, I got it from eBay for about £10, it started off as a kind of Luke Hero, it had a crude control box glued on when I got it (that I never took a picture of) & a switch next to it (it has a battery pack & bulb inside it?) I think someone probably made it at home :lol

I'd added a Graflex clamp when I first got it & later added the foil coverings to make it more Shared stunt looking

the new V2 information & run reignited my interest in this saber so I decided to use it to try & finally get over my fear of drilling into lightsabers

armed with my trusty hand drill I slowly started adding the 2 holes behind the pommel & the 2 holes in the emmiter/windvane,

I used a hand saw to cut a notch in the neck, & files to remove the "nipple" from the emitter

All of which took me ages by hand & provided me with some lovely blisters

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 268
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    515.9 KB · Views: 224
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    510.8 KB · Views: 184
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    422.5 KB · Views: 168
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    391.1 KB · Views: 169
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    593.9 KB · Views: 180
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    486.3 KB · Views: 186
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    519.3 KB · Views: 207
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    629.4 KB · Views: 176
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    589.1 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
Re: My Luke ROTJ V3 Shared Stunt Lightsaber conversion

I re-did the foil coverings on the Graflex clamp (which is a really worn old original clamp) I also drilled 2 holes either side of it (which were a pain)

i also re-did the other foil on the emitter & pommel

I repainted the neck & emitter & called it job done:lol

I know its not accurate, I think just about every measurement is off & it has that horrible step where the neck joins the body :facepalm

the pommel cubes move round, & the neck is held in place with a set screw through the grenade

but hopefully I've captured the crappy spirit of the shared stunt, this is basically me trying to make the best of a bad job

I'd really like a decent shared stunt & would love a cast one

on my prop budget I can't afford to let anything go to waste so for now this will do :)

can't wait for my V2 from the new run

my plan is to eventually re-do my Russrep V2 as an ANH Obi stunt saber, I never really liked the idea of an AFB V2 but I do like the idea of it as the stunt saber with the red button, bubble strip & Obi paint scheme etc.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    790.9 KB · Views: 253
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 159
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    970.2 KB · Views: 163
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    709.3 KB · Views: 131
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    855.8 KB · Views: 130
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    802.8 KB · Views: 135
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    600.3 KB · Views: 149
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,017.9 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:

That looks really sharp dude. Damn, now I'm thinking I want to do that with my new V2...aaarrgghh.

I don't really like starting new threads for every build so figure I'll make this my V2, V3 & Obi Stunt thread

since I signed up for the Starkiller run I started planning to re-do my Russrep V2 as its ANH Obi Stunt incarnation

my plan is to strip the paint & repaint it but I still can't decide how it should be painted, these are all the pictures I can find of the ANH era Obi Stunts

In at least one pic it looks like it has black booster & grips, a brownish windvane & grey emmiter but in other pictures it looks all black

I'm sure someone knows the answer but what I'm thinking is that there are 2 different sabers in these pics V2 & V3

the picture of the saber resting on his shoulder I'm assuming is the V2 complete with long lever & what looks like all black paint??

In the other pic of him holding it straight (with no visible clamp) im guessing might be the V3/shared stunt with a more detailed paint job

maybe I'm wrong & it's just the light (& I've been looking at the pics too long) but I figure given its condition in ROTJ nobody bothered take off the V2's ANH paint & repainted it black so maybe it was always all black?

my current plan for my Russ V2 is to paint the booster, rings, neck & Emitter (except the nipple) black, I'm going to put a bubble strip in the clamp along with the long lever & one sidebar, I want to add a red button to the Cone knob hole & a wire from the filister screw hole, I'm also going to put Obi transistors on the clamp

kinda idealised Obi Stunt (well that's the plan anyway)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 174
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 189
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 166
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 178
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    787.2 KB · Views: 197
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 184
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 172
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 189
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 188
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 188
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 185
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 158
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 137
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 173
Re: V2, V3 & ANH Obi Stunt builds

I think this is very cool! So the v3 is just the shared stunt?

Yes V3/shared stunt is the same thing, don't know if I'm right about which is which in the ANH pics though

It's fair to say I'm a little bit obsessed with the V2, the new Starkiller one will be my 5th since I started collecting 3 years ago :lol

looking forward to getting started on the new one but for some reason started messing with my Russrep 1st

inspired by PoopaPapaPalps upgrades I've added the grub screw to the booster & plan to add the 2 screws to the Emitter nipple

I've found an old drill bit that fits in the emitter like the rod on the Starkiller :lol (I know not accurate for ANH Obi stunt but thought I'd have a bit sticking out)

1st pic is my EFX, Yodas house, Russrep & MR V2's, the blank saber is the new Starkiller & the rest are my Russrep as it is now (ready for taking the paint off)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 216
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 133
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 148
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    413 KB · Views: 119
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 117
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    324.9 KB · Views: 117
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    350.2 KB · Views: 117
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    356.4 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:

Since I have your attention right now, is my avatar pic obiwan? I noticed since I view your thread my avatar changed? Weird?

Yes V3/shared stunt is the same thing, don't know if I'm right about which is which in the ANH pics though

It's fair to say I'm a little bit obsessed with the V2, the new Starkiller one will be my 5th since I started collecting 3 years ago :lol

looking forward to getting started on the new one but for some reason started messing with my Russrep 1st

inspired by PoopaPapaPalps upgrades I've added the grub screw to the booster & plan to add the 2 screws to the Emitter nipple

I've found an old drill bit that fits in the emitter like the rod on the Starkiller :lol (I know not accurate for ANH Obi stunt but thought I'd have a bit sticking out)

That came out beautifully, how did you remove the paint?

The blank is the New Starkiller V2 (sorry just realised that was probably a confusing post)

the painted one is my Russrep, planning to take the paint off with acetone, wire wool, sandpaper, whatever works :lol

:lol No it's still the same (not Obi Wan)

Thank you, must be some glitch on my end, the site has been so weird lately, doing double posts and asking me to leave the page when ever I post. This avatar change is something new, but back on subject

im on the Starkiller run too, I have received mine yet though. I got the cards and clamps on the way, still on a hunt for a clamp. My biggest fear is not weathering it right, I want to simulate exactly what you have done

another thing I was thinking and I have to look at the bluray sometime this week but I wonder how shiny the aluminum is on the v2. Since it was made and used ANH it's got some age to it, I wonder if rubbing vinegar, or soaking it in sea water would dull it enough... Heck it might not even need dulling once I compare the bluray

honestly I really like how you weathered it

- - - Updated - - -

The blank is the New Starkiller V2 (sorry just realised that was probably a confusing post)

the painted one is my Russrep, planning to take the paint off with acetone, wire wool, sandpaper, whatever works :lol

Another hobby I have is automotive, Mustangs and ford lightning's which are super charged. Their rotors in the superchargers are coved in a film of paint and the paint flakes off and cloggs the lower intercooler. We use this stuff call "aircraft stripper" you soak the aluminum in that and the paint bubbles off and the aluminum finish isn't effected. The rotors come out real shiny and new and stay that way, other then other chemicals that will dull and tarnish the finish, let me see if I can grab you a pic

418NxNu76LL.jpg

sml%20rotors%204.jpg

Nesortirano002.jpg

Theres a example

Last edited:

I just noticed from your reference pictures how far the clamp moved up the grenade section quite a bit when Sir Alec wielded that stuntsaber on set :wacko

Chaim

This is wonderful, can't wait to see the paint jobs! (Yodas house made sabers?!) in that last pic I got the idea the clamp was just loose and fell. Also that photo makes me think the neck was a dark brown

I, too, have been planning out an ANH era Kenobi saber. I've been pouring over what little visual reference I can find, and I do believe that the portion under the emitter is brown or copper colored. Even on the ROTJ era v2 it looks as is there was copper or brown paint that was then painted over with black. When I get back to my pc, I'll post some screens to back up my theory. I also think that at least one ofthe stunt sabers had a darker grey emitter, as opposed to black like most interpretations have.

I'm still thinking there are a couple of different stunts in the ANH pics (V2 & V3)?

there is definitely one that has the copper/brown neck & grey emmiter but I'm still leaning towards the V2 being all black

I found a slightly higher res version of the V2 on Obi's shoulder pic, the wire going up his sleeve is much clearer than on the other pics I had

wire looks black in this pic but whiteish in the one posted above

also trying to figure out if I can see transistors on the "practice" saber pic from ESB era

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 142
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 149
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 1,422
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 2,540
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 162

Still haven't started on my Starkiller V2 but I have added some grub screws to the nipple of my Russrep V2

maybe not quite as straight/well positioned as I'd like but think they're ok, I used the same size grub screws as the Starkiller

the old Drill bit I've used for the rod fits in the saber perfectly

I guess this is as accurate as my Russrep V2 gets before I strip off the paint :lol

i quite like the idea of having some rod sticking out once I re paint as an Obi Stunt although I have nothing to base it on

been looking for a suitable red button for this but not found anything suitable yer

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    402.7 KB · Views: 100
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    452.6 KB · Views: 86
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    712.9 KB · Views: 91
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    550.1 KB · Views: 91
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    426.8 KB · Views: 89
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 102
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    288.2 KB · Views: 98
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back