Let it begin! Completed Accurate Kill Bill Replica!

Re: Let it begin! An accurate Kill Bill replica!

Thanks Greylocke:) Almost there...

Finished up the lioness today, carved and painted. I must say that painting the lioness was one of the jobs I've least enjoyed on this project. Pretty tricky and nerve-racking trying to stay within the < 1mm lines with my tiny paintbrush while wearing a jeweler's loupe:)

Next up, the leaf (as soon as my .6mm endmills come in), and the scabbard end cap (kojiri). Hoping to be done the whole thing by the end of the week.

Thanks,
jason

Very nice work. Where did you get the rayskin? The supplier I use never has any in stock when I need it. I need to make some wallets and cellphone cases.

Hi Dung0Beetle,

thanks! I get my rayskin from a couple of places. There's a seller on eBay (sharkking) that sells pretty nice ones for cheap, and there Namikawa Heibi in Japan that sells very nice (and large) ones for expensive. That's where I got this one from.

The thing about raysking for Japanese swords is that they're not tanned. Just dried and scraped thin. I think Tandy sells tanned rayskins, and I've seen lots on eBay (sharkking again). You probably wanted the tanned variety for wallets / etc.

eBay store: Exotic Leather, Shark Teeth items in SHARKKING-CFRIED store on eBay!

Namikawa: Namikawa Heibei Co.,Ltd.

Thanks,
jason

Finally got the Kojiri for Adam's sword yesterday, and started painting it up. Final touchups to go, and then a satin clear-coat (like the fuchi/kashira earlier). Sorry about the crappy pic, only had my iTouch available.

Almost there!:) Now, if only my endmills would come in!:)

Thanks,
jason

Done! Leaf carved/painted (after 2 test runs). Sageo stitched with the extra stitches (thanks to the missus). Epoxied on the kojiri (scabbard end-cap). Please excuse the sweaty fingerprints, it was a tense night:) One looong project, done!:)

Finished up late last night, I'll get a few more pics in natural light today.

Thanks,
jason

The final update!:)

Delivered the sword yesterday, Adam seemed very happy with it (as he pushed up his glasses and put his nose about an inch from the saya, inspecting the carvings:)). Shook my hand about 4 times:) Said the 'painting is perfect', which I guess coming from Adam is a great compliment! Adam and Jamie are both nice guys, and it was fun meeting them (and the kids loved it).

Anyhow, here's a few pics of the final sword, and one of me hangin' with the dudes in the green room. By the way, that's me in the middle with the egg-shaped head:)

Thanks for the kind words, guys - I really appreciate it.

I'd be happy to make more of these things, and with the art/procedures all done, it shouldn't take a year/sword anymore:) I'll post up an int thread. I've managed to track down a cheaper blade I can work with, Japanese made, but not as pricey as the one I used on Adam's. I'll have to add the hamon (temper pattern) myself, but I don't think that'll be a problem. I'll crunch the numbers, and come up with a /unit price.

This was an awesome project to work on, btw - I had never touched a CNC before, and didn't even know where "square 1" was located before beginning:) Thanks go to Adam for taking a chance with me and giving me the time to do things right.

One more pic:)

Thanks,
jason

too late, although I did get to be there for when he opened up the rifle case and took it out for the first lookover:)

Thanks,
jason

Thanks for the kind comments - it was a great project to work on, lots of learning along the way.

INT thread is up in the junkyard for a small run, btw:)

Thanks,
jason

Thanks, Guys - couldn't have asked for a better project to work on, or a better (but somewhat demanding:)) client.

jason

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back