Latex drying help

Khunez

Hey Hunter dudes! I just poured my MM mask latex into the mold and i was wondering if anyone has tips on getting it to cure faster? Im scared to take a heat gun to it....i dont know if heat will speed drying or if it will ruin it. its still wet and tacky after about 38 hours. temp outside is like 60-80. what you guys think?

Hey mate try using a fan or a couple fans you'll be giving it plenty of air to cure it just be patient
its always hard playing the waiting game but very satisfying when your piece or mask turns out :)

I have made 4 castings of full bodysuits in my Plaster molds using latex rubber. Everytime I made a casting I aimed a Space Heater right inside the mold and just let it run overnight.
Most times the latex is dry by the morning.
To be safe I let the mold sit and airdry for another day or so.

Nothing worse than pulling out a casting it is not set and Rips or Stretches the casting.

Remembert to be patient. The tempation to hurry up and pull the casting early is tempting, resist the urge. :)

i throw fans on my stuff
wow the fan works wonder! thanks guys! I pulled my cast successfully. had a few questions

What are you guys using to trim your masks? I find an exacto doesn't work as well as i thought for the mold seams.

Where you guys putting your breathing holes? I put my mask on and it suctioned to my face! :)

if you cut up the back so you can fit it on your head, how do you handle the cut towards the top so it wont rip from continuous taking it on and off?

I saw the zipper tutorial...but im not that far along with my skillz. thought i might try a corset lace deal for the back of the neck. this a good idea? tips?

thanks again guys! you all kick some ass when it comes to the noobs! Then Ill have to pass all that is taught.

wow the fan works wonder! thanks guys! I pulled my cast successfully. had a few questions

What are you guys using to trim your masks? I find an exacto doesn't work as well as i thought for the mold seams.

Where you guys putting your breathing holes? I put my mask on and it suctioned to my face! :)

if you cut up the back so you can fit it on your head, how do you handle the cut towards the top so it wont rip from continuous taking it on and off?

I saw the zipper tutorial...but im not that far along with my skillz. thought i might try a corset lace deal for the back of the neck. this a good idea? tips?

thanks again guys! you all kick some ass when it comes to the noobs! Then Ill have to pass all that is taught.

---i use a blade, but i also sometimes come back with some latex on the seam. some people use a dremmel with the cotton accessory.

---- mines a half mask so i have a huge breathing hole.

--- when cutting the back, at the end cut a small circle like this-
bottom ----------o top
the cut will not continue

---some people have used a grommet/lace up technique. but putting in a zipper is not that hard. i just latexed one in. i didnt see the need to sew it in.

You can always do slush casting in thin layers, let that dry (with a Hair dryer) then repeat the process to build up layers.
As long as each layer is clean and free of dust you won't have any adhesion issues. Plus the casting seems to be stronger when I do it rather than one thick layer of latex.

---i use a blade, but i also sometimes come back with some latex on the seam. some people use a dremmel with the cotton accessory.

---- mines a half mask so i have a huge breathing hole.

--- when cutting the back, at the end cut a small circle like this-
bottom ----------o top
the cut will not continue

---some people have used a grommet/lace up technique. but putting in a zipper is not that hard. i just latexed one in. i didnt see the need to sew it in.

I was thinking dremmel but didnt know the attachment.thanks i will try that.
So if i want to use latex to "paint" out the seams should i globe it on or use a stippling technique?

I might have to mess with the zipper, going to hit up the fabric store..

You can always do slush casting in thin layers, let that dry (with a Hair dryer) then repeat the process to build up layers.
As long as each layer is clean and free of dust you won't have any adhesion issues. Plus the casting seems to be stronger when I do it rather than one thick layer of latex.

that was my first slush cast and just one layer is super thick (i did two) You guys thinning your latex out?

Fans worked wonders for this guy. Also, even though you should have this already, ventilation! open some doors and windows and get some circulation, heat would just slow down the curing...wont it?

heat will speed up the curing process. For the seams this is what you do. Cut the excess of using small curved cuticle scissors. Then you make whats known as cabo-patch or Latex bondo. Mix prosaide with cabosil ( ground fiberglass ..use a respirator when handling ..you dont want to breath the dust) mix the two together until you get a frosting like consistency..then using a sculpting spatula or small popsicle stick spread the latex bondo over the seam area ..use a wet sponge to wipe it down until the excess disappears leaving only the bondo in the seam crevice. you can now use a sculpting tool to resculpt the texture lines in the bondo ..it will dry clear ..paint and you will have no seam lines

George this must have been the 10th time you gave given this advice. Write it up in a tutorial!

Great advice by the way. Works better than any other method I have seen.

George this must have been the 10th time you gave given this advice. Write it up in a tutorial!

Great advice by the way. Works better than any other method I have seen.

Ha ..was totally thinking that when I was writing this last night. Ill see what I can do with some pics this week

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back