Last Starfighter video game project - COMPLETED

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Rook 3, Jul 18, 2003.

1. Rook 3

Rook 3 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Okay, since the LAST TWO THREADS fell off the board, here's my attempt to keep this thing going. [​IMG]

One of us here, who created the 'Space Paranoids' replica from the Movie TRON was working on the project. Sorry Doc, I lost your name.

So...

Any updates? [​IMG]

*Edit* The Game is done. yay.

Rook

2. dfrey79

dfrey79 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I remember hearing about this through word of mouth even before I was a member here. Getting updates from a buddy of mine.

This would be the game of the year! I'm a definate buyer.

3. eaviii

eaviii Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yes- Some word- I have acquired a new computer capable of running DBPro as well as more advanced modelling software (Alienware Area51 Mobile Extreme- MuHAAA HAA HAA HAA!). I am currently trying to transition the code already done to DB Pro. I also am in the process of getting a website up and running for this, "Space Paranoids", and other arcade/prop projects. The site is "www.roguesynapse.com" and it will hopefully be up and running in the month.

A couple of questions to the interested few:

1) Does anyone program in DarkBasic or DBPro? I would love another set of eyes on the code.

2) Can anyone do a passable Robert Preston impersonation or know of any software that will morph/mimic individual speech?

4. Megatron

Megatron Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

bump DUH!!

5. eaviii

Still working on it- Working primarily on lasers and PB in HUD- Also trying to learn enough Dreamweaver to get the site up and running.

eaviii

6. dfrey79

can you post any screen shots? maybe just a few to wet our whistle? i remember seeing a wireframe gunstar a LONG time ago. was this the same project?

7. Wolvster1

Wolvster1 Sr Member Gone but not forgotten.

Oh, and Sir...

DUUUUUUUUUUUUDE !!!!!!

I would send you some money
    for a copy to cover your time
    just for a version of that GAME !!

[​IMG]

I've done it before to shareware I
    loved and used ALOT. And that game
    would be the same if it hold's a candle
    to the one in the movie !

Lordy, was that movie really out
    that long ago ????

{{ Walking down memory lane.. }}

[​IMG]

8. Tbone

Tbone New Member

I may be one of the people you are talking about. Last year a gave a recognizer model I made to a fellow who was doing the GLTRON lightcycle game, and another person used it on the space paranoids game.

I do have a model of a starfighter somewhere on my comp. I can probably find it if I look, but it needs lots of work. It was originally a .WRL file, I got from somewhere, and was re-creating it. I usd to have a model I made of the of kodan ship, but alas it was lost to a HD crash.

I can give someone the .WRL file if they want to work on it, but I currently do not have time.

Send me an email or PM.

FT

9. Megatron

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
    Forced Trekker wrote:
    <HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
    I may be one of the people you are talking about. Last year a gave a recognizer model I made to a fellow who was doing the GLTRON lightcycle game, and another person used it on the space paranoids game.

I do have a model of a starfighter somewhere on my comp. I can probably find it if I look, but it needs lots of work. It was originally a .WRL file, I got from somewhere, and was re-creating it. I usd to have a model I made of the of kodan ship, but alas it was lost to a HD crash.

I can give someone the .WRL file if they want to work on it, but I currently do not have time.

Send me an email or PM.

FT
    </TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

I would like it..I just started doing 3D...
    thanks
    Megs

10. trixter

trixter Well-Known Member

Hey evaii take your time, so far what you have posted is sweet and it is looking great.

I think i have enough schematics drawn up now its just a matter of time before i have the wood to start working ok a cabinet.

Finish a couple things i have going now and i think ill start.

11. Tbone

Tbone New Member

Megatron - Heh, that's funny. I have a half way decent Megatron model somewhere too. But anyways, what program are you using?

I use 3D Studio Max, but I think I can save it as a .dxf, .prj, .3ds, .max, and .obj. What type of file do you need?

FT

12. Megatron

Forced Trekker wrote:
    Megatron - Heh, that's funny. I have a half way decent Megatron model somewhere too. But anyways, what program are you using?

I use 3D Studio Max, but I think I can save it as a .dxf, .prj, .3ds, .max, and .obj. What type of file do you need?

FT

Maya 5 or Cinema 4d 7
    I think .dxf will work

13. Tbone

Tbone New Member

You have mail.

FT

14. Megatron

Forced Trekker wrote:
    You have mail.

FT

it must be lost..cause I have no new mail
    try again
    hk729@yahoo.com

15. Tbone

Tbone New Member

Ack...Shut Outlook down too fast. You should have it any second now.

FT

16. Megatron

Forced Trekker wrote:
    Ack...Shut Outlook down too fast. You should have it any second now.

FT

yahoo did not like the file or something...it did not show the attachtment wierd?

17. Tbone

Tbone New Member

Let me zip it and send it again.

FT

18. Megatron

thanks that worked

19. Tbone

Tbone New Member

I put both models in there. The old .wrl file that was converted to .3ds and my attempt at recreating it. I haven't mastered the art of nurbs or any of that stuff. I normally build my models just like I would if I was making it out real objects.

Its probably the old and slow way to go, but then I'm old and slow! ;-P

FT

20. Rook 3

2 week old, keepin'it from fallin' off the board bump.

[​IMG]

Rook

21. trixter

Bump

Gotta keep this thing out of the dank depths of the "Lost Pages" areas/////

22. Rook 3

Thanks for the save, Trixter.
    I'd hate to be forced to start a V4.0 thread. [​IMG]

Rook

23. trixter

NP. any way i can help

Oh By the way......

BUMP

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

24. eaviii

Still underway- All projects crawling at a steady pace and crawling around and behind job. I may be getting some clean soundtrack and effects from a very cool guy out in LA. I will also soon have hires pics, dimensions, and control details from the cabinet featured in the documentary. Finally, if I can get caught up on paperwork, I will be able to really work on the software.

eaviii

P.S. I am the dude who borrowed FT's recognizer model (and tank model as well) for "Space Paranoids." The game is now completed and at http://www.roguesynapse.com - Screen caps, etc there for a site in its infancy. I apologize in advance for the excrutiating load times (My buddy with the server moved to Odessa and is working off a cable modem- Upgrade soon however)

25. motorfish

motorfish Well-Known Member

eaviii:

Nice collection of games on your site!

I just finished up my two MAME cabinets this weekend. Almost more work that they're worth ^_^*:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. Digital Mayhem

Digital Mayhem New Member

cool [​IMG] i downloaded the Space Paranoids game, but it won't run on my machine... [​IMG] (p4, 2ghz, win me, 512mb ram). it says "runtime error 51" any ideas?

are there any good sites out there where somebody can find versions of starfighter, tron, etc. ?

olli

27. trixter

Great machines Evaii. mine is almost finished as well. I have the cab build for space paranoids just need to decorate it and get my computer working in it.

Keep up the good work man

28. eaviii

NICE MAME CABS MAN- Space Paranoids should run fine there- It is made for 2 joysticks now (asdw the left JS, arrow buttons the right)- Will need to assign buttons for fire (space), turret align (brings turret to front, x), coin (5), and start(1).
    Zero during the text attract mode (the first thing it does if it doesn't crash) pulls up the diagnostic mode.

I am not sure why you're getting a runtime error. I will download and run the program from the site to see if it's that. A couple of things to try-

1) Try running on another machine- Your machine has more than enough juice to run it but there are some quirks with regard to file saves that cause crashes (it writes a bitmap file on opening and this has caused problems on some machines).

2) Try running the display res executable and setting it to 640 by 480 or above.

A start at least-

doc

29. trixter

BUMP

We really dont want to loose this one do we?

30. Rook 3

Sure don't. Thanks Trixter!

Rook

31. eaviii

Just keeping the thread alive- Arranging transport for the cabinet- Hi Res photos and dimensions to follow-

eaviii

32. J.Max

J.Max Well-Known Member

Where can I download Space Paranoids? Always wanted to try that one..."999 Million Points! Unbelievable!"

33. trixter

sweet cant wait to get the cab dimensions.

34. trixter

*BU....*

Nobody sais the b WORD [​IMG]

35. eaviii

Starfighter cabinet should be here soon- Space Paranoids is avialable at www.roguesynapse.com- Also, for arcade buffs, there will soon be a passable TRON multicab front end there as well (DesktopX format)-

doc

36. trixter

Great stuff there evaii

Keep up the good work

37. eaviii

Just keeping the thread alive- Cabinet is being driven from LA in the next couple of weeks- Still learning DBPro but at least allows bitmap rotation for analog gauges- Still trying to locate the Robert Preston voice track (I know it exists)

38. trixter

thanx for the update evaii, cant wait to see more

39. Rook 3

Doc, what's the story on this Starfighter cabinet?
    Is it a custom built item, or is it perhaps the one made for the DVD release of the film?

Rook

40. trixter

Bump
    Do we really wanna loose this one?

41. eaviii

Keeping the thread a going- The cabinet is the cabinet made for the documentary on "The Last Starfighter" DVD. It is an exact replica of the original as far as I can tell and have been informed. The one in the film was ruined post-production. I purchased it from the maker of the documentary and I am waiting on its arrival. Still slowly working with DBPro i=on the software side but very slowgoing

42. Rook 3

Ah HA! I was wondering what happened to that cabinet. [​IMG]

I was contacted by the (then) current owner since I wrote the LSF FAQ and he was interested in selling it. He wanted more than I could afford at that time unfortunately. Glad to see someone got it who will appreciate it.

And I DEMAND to see some good quality photos. [​IMG]

Rook

43. trixter

Always in need of some high quality photos of the good stuff.
    But Im glad the game is going niceley, having a blast with my space paranoids and when I get really bored again I might even finish up the cabinet [​IMG]

44. dfrey79

Wow! The Starfighter demo is awesome! You are definately on the right track!!!

Although you definately need a faster server! T-1 downloading at 4 kb/sec drives me nuts!! [​IMG]

45. eaviii

The cabinet will hopefully be arriving in a couple of weeks driven by someone who cares about it. I will post photos immediately thereafter. Glad you like the demo- Does anyone do models/textures? The starfighter I used is a pilfered and transformed one.

46. trixter

BUMP
    BUMP
    BUMP

47. Tbone

Tbone New Member

eaviii wrote:
    The cabinet will hopefully be arriving in a couple of weeks driven by someone who cares about it. I will post photos immediately thereafter. Glad you like the demo- Does anyone do models/textures? The starfighter I used is a pilfered and transformed one.

I wish I had time to devote to this, and I wish even more my HD hadn't crashed long ago. I had almost completely remodeled the starfighter, and had a Zurg ship completed. Well, at least I was able to give you my old back-up copy.

48. eaviii

ETA on the cabinet is 3rd week this month- We'll see- Pics soon to follow

49. Tbone

Tbone New Member

Downloaded the demo...Dude! Its awesome! Keep up the good work!

50. squirk

squirk Sr Member