Last Crusade Indy and Henry Jones on Horseback

Bossk

Since growing out a beard for my "Spanish Conquistador" impression of a soldier of the Hernando de Soto Expedition (second to last image) for programs I do at various regional parks and historical sites, I have started looking for fun "cosplay" costumes suited to the "new look". The first project was "The Hound" from Game of Thrones, and pondered doing Professor Henry Jones from the Indy franchise, as I have always been a great fan of the films, and have had a "Major Toht" impression for many years (last image). When I realized how close my horse resembled the one rode by Henry Jones in The Last Crusade, that clenched it. My friend and fellow RPFer, Glen, "Tambo" Jones, had started up an Indy Impression, and also has a horse, joined up with me for a little shoot, (though he is riding his wife's horse here as it looks more like Indy's as seen in the attached still from the film). With Covid and the cancellation of nearly all of the events this year, this was our only time in "costume" this year, though I did don my historical Zulu War uniform once this year, and Tambo did a WWII GI, this past weekend.

Attachments

• jones horse 3.jpg
    jones horse 3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 411
  • Jones horse 2.jpg
    Jones horse 2.jpg
    802.7 KB · Views: 333
  • jones horse 6.jpg
    jones horse 6.jpg
    737.8 KB · Views: 823
  • jones horse 12IMG_3289.JPG
    jones horse 12IMG_3289.JPG
    692.8 KB · Views: 214
  • Last Crusade horses.jpg
    Last Crusade horses.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 508
  • Joara 2 crop.jpg
    Joara 2 crop.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 209
  • Id Disc.JPG
    Id Disc.JPG
    776.3 KB · Views: 993
Cool!

I've been doing Henry Senior for a few years now. I don't know if you saw it, but I have a couple videos on Youtube where I discuss the various parts of his costume and some of the sources I've found.

I did think it was funny how towards the end of that film there's a gender-switched version of the cliche of the femme fatale continuing to loose articles of clothing, as every time you see Sean Connery he's lost another part of his costume. Umbrella, suitcase, jacket, hat, and tie disappear and by the horse scene he's in shirtsleeves with a cloth wrapped around his head.

BTW there's something about his costume in those latter scenes that I don't think is historically correct. I've seen quite a few of those 1930s leather (or satin) watch-straps and they're not as long as Henry's is when he unbuttons his waistcoat. I think they had to make it like that especially for this scene.

jGjJMDs.jpg

Last edited:
Many thanks for all of the great information! I had not seen the YouTube videos before, but watched them both after following the link. This was actually the first time I did anything with my Henry Jones impression, so I will take full advantage of all of your advice and source material. I agree that both the very long watch strap and oversized spectacles seem out of period. I found an original pair of eyglasses with a prescription nearly the same as mine so will probably just continue to use them, though the oversized ones are truer to the film. I believe the original watch strap was a ribbon like fabric, and not leather, due to how it seems to have folded where it is coming out of the pocket in the screen image you provided.

I was wondering if you were able to make two hats out of the one darker, coat, and if so, if you have sold, or plan to sell it, as I would be interested in upgrading my hat. I will definitely get that particular style of bowtie made once I find a "long" tie with a similar pattern. Though it would be printed instead of woven, there is a company called Spoonflower in the US that makes custom printed fabric, including silk, to order as well as various cottons and linens so it would be possible to make both a screen accurate tie and shirt with their fabrics, providing they are supplied with good digital images. I would be interested in both item as well if you wanted to pursue this with original artwork. I worked with them before to make the unique and distinctive "digital" camouflage pattern used by the armed security forces in Avatar.

I saw the image of you in front of the Star Wars exhibit and it looks like you are wearing a courser, perhaps original Harris, type tweed suit that looks more like screen version as far as the fabric is concerned, than the very "smooth" looking version shown in your YouTube videos. Or maybe in the natural daylight you can see the herring bone twill pattern better, and they are both the same suit? My tweed suit, (which was an eBay find), also has the extra "ticket pocket", and the vest has four pockets like the original. I was curious though about the extra welting/piping on the pocket edges and edges of the vest. Do you know if it is simply the same sateen type lining material of the inside and back of the vest, or possibly a very thin leather, as I have noticed before on other vintage suits? I am not sure how old my suit is, but wonder if the four vest pockets and extra "ticket pocket" on the jacket infers that mine is either fairly vintage, or perhaps a newer suit made with deliberate vintage features? I know you are far more informed on these matter than I am, and value your expertise.

Thanks!

You are correct on every point. Satin watch straps were also popular, in fact I have a vintage satin one, the condition is too poor but it could serve as a guide to making one. The leather I use is mainly for practicality, because I can unbuckle the strap to take on and off the waistcoat. I've not quite figured out how the vintage satin one works.

Yes indeed until I got the Studio Suits suit I was wearing a collection of separates, the jacket and waistcoat didn't quite match but both were heavier tweed than Studio Suits used. My pants were just cotton dress slacks! That's the next level, to get a Harris Tweed suit made. Studio Suits didn't have the right colour available, but it may well be that they could get it, or happen to have it at some future time.

With my Studio Suits tweed you can see the herringbone in closer shots.

UEXQqox.jpg

For sure I might go the Spoonflower route for the tie. This is the best screen I've seen of the pattern. A friend who is a graphic designer could do a digital version.

ZiGrp6R.jpg

This isn't too bad, though it's squares rather than the flower-like original, and it would have to be dyed darker.

vByb2uy.jpg

this has been the closest I think I've found

0PEylHW.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks!

You are correct on every point. Satin watch straps were also popular, in fact I have a vintage satin one, the condition is too poor but it could serve as a guide to making one. The leather I use is mainly for practicality, because I can unbuckle the strap to take on and off the waistcoat. I've not quite figured out how the vintage satin one works.

Yes indeed until I got the Studio Suits suit I was wearing a collection of separates, the jacket and waistcoat didn't quite match but both were heavier tweed than Studio Suits used. My pants were just cotton dress slacks! That's the next level, to get a Harris Tweed suit made. Studio Suits didn't have the right colour available, but it may well be that they could get it, or happen to have it at some future time.

With my Studio Suits tweed you can see the herringbone in closer shots.

View attachment 1356855

For sure I might go the Spoonflower route for the tie. This is the best screen I've seen of the pattern. A friend who is a graphic designer could do a digital version.

View attachment 1356856

This isn't too bad, though it's squares rather than the flower-like original, and it would have to be dyed darker.

View attachment 1356857

this has been the closest I think I've found

View attachment 1356858
Could you tell me something about the pocket and vest welting, like if it is the brown satin lining material, or something else? Could you also give me the name of the Etsy shops that made your hat and tie? I wrote down what I thought you said on YouTube, but nothing came up.

There might be a nominal fee now, but you really should order the fabric sample swatch set from Spoonflower to see the wide range of fabrics you can have your designs printed on. You could also make the perfect shirt this way. There are plenty of images of Medieval Quatrefoils online, so it would be a simple matter for a graphic designer to make a near-perfect tie design. The printing seems to be incredibly detailed as several people have made perfect miniature camouflage patterns for 1/6 scale, 12 inch high action figures. I have delved into this a bit myself, not only with spoonflower for the Avatar camo uniforms, but for my Medieval hobby I had these actual woven replicas of early 15th Century tapestries made by a company in North Carolina that makes woven throw rugs of anything you provide them a digital image of, and at pretty reasonable prices. They said I was the first person though with the idea of reproducing original Medieval tapestries and horse trappings though. This would be great for cosplay costumes as well that require thicker type cloth with woven-in designs, like some Arabic robes, or Medieval surcoats for example.

Attachments

• DSCF2233.JPG
    DSCF2233.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 205
  • DSCF2235.JPG
    DSCF2235.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 191
Last edited:
About the lining, there's the scene near Petra where they're up on the cliff, you can see the back of the waistcoat is a light-to-mid grey.

I ordered it that way from Studio Suits, but the grey they used was too dark. Goes to show you need swatches, on the website image the grey looked good.

About the pocket flaps on the jacket and waistcoat, it's clear from a number of screen shots that the flaps just fold over and hang down, there's no row of stitching along the top of the flap such as would normally be seen. Studio Suits doesn't appear to offer that option, and on my jacket and waistcoat the flaps have a row of stitching at the top.

Here's a jacket which is said to be one of the originals. I wonder about the tie- it's too wide and lacks the diamond points. I've seen a couple "original" jackets at auction and they've lacked the waistcoat, I wonder why. Anyhow it clearly shows the flaps are sewn only on the back and turned over.

yKrbntn.jpg

Here's a good shot of the waistcoat showing the flaps treated the same way, stitched then turned over.

y1vXATR.jpg

Note how even in those photos you can't see the herringbone pattern of the tweed.

BTW here's the only photo I've seen showing the claret braces.

R8jump3.jpg

About the tie motif, I just did this crude sketch which shows how I think it's made, as best I can judge by studying the one closeup photo I've seen.

EDQ9n9S.jpg

About the Etsy people, my hat was made by Cherry Pat Hats. She developed the pattern and made my hats from vintage Harris Tweed jackets I sent her. I don't know if she has more fabric left over.

The woman that does the tie conversions is AnnieJ Classic Bow Ties.

Last edited:
Thanks again for the great information. I "upgraded" my flap front briefcase to a real 1930's small traveling suitcase that looks nearly the same as the screen shop. I saw the Cherry Pat Hat site, after I already found and bought a pretty good, original grey houndstooth tweed bucket hat that was only a $20.00 invest, but still haven't seen it. Sometimes the color of things that "look right" on internet sites looks quite different when you see them "in the flesh". But the Cherry Pat hats look perfect, so glad to have that option if I am dissatisfied with the hat I already ordered. Was that last, and best looking pattern you showed a fabric you can order, or was it a tie you found? I would like to have two matching ties made (as I don't think I can tie a bow tie properly either) -- a pre-tied one to wear with the buttoned up shirt, and a second, untied one to just hang untied around the neck with the shirt collar open and the coat off, like in the Petra scenes. I doubt I will be able to find to matching vintage ties, to make both of the tie versions I want to have, so finding a good piece of fabric that looks close may be the best option short of having the fabric printed.

I've thought of doing one of the Petra Seniors. There's captured Senior with unbuttoned waistcoat and loose tie hanging down.

Then there's wounded Senior, which I've thought about doing at a Con, walking around with blood-stained shirt and Grail in hand.

But I have to wear the hat due to having too much hair.

About the hats, I went the vintage route for my first couple years doing Senior, the troubles are
1) finding a tweed dark enough. If you find a black-and-anything tweed you can dye the anything brown and Bob's your Uncle.
2) finding the right pattern, one that doesn't have any seams going down the front.
3) finding the right size houndstooth pattern
4) finding a hat that has the pattern in the proper orientation, front and band horizontal/vertical, brim cut on the bias.

About the ties, those two tie-pattern closeups are just vintage ones I found on Ebay.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back