Kylo Ren Fabric

Lots of info in this thread for the outer cloak and the basket weave pattern. However has anyone found a SKU# or a good fabric for the sleeves and mid-coat? I have been to our local Hobby Lobby and JoAnn's however not much luck for fabric that looks like the sleeves from the original costume in the film. I did find some of the duck cloth however it is very thick and you would not get the flow as wind blows through it. I am currently Darth Maul for the 501st and used Gabardine for some of my inner coats and it flows great and lays great. However it does not have all the "pin holes" or texture. Any advice would be great. It is ridiculous how hard it is to come by fabric used in the movies yet it seems all the costumes in the movies have it no problem, where do they get it, which I am sure with their budget everything is custom made. Make it difficult for the regular consumer. Therefore forums like this help us bounce ideas off a bunch of people for solutions.

Lots of info in this thread for the outer cloak and the basket weave pattern. However has anyone found a SKU# or a good fabric for the sleeves and mid-coat? I have been to our local Hobby Lobby and JoAnn's however not much luck for fabric that looks like the sleeves from the original costume in the film. I did find some of the duck cloth however it is very thick and you would not get the flow as wind blows through it. I am currently Darth Maul for the 501st and used Gabardine for some of my inner coats and it flows great and lays great. However it does not have all the "pin holes" or texture. Any advice would be great. It is ridiculous how hard it is to come by fabric used in the movies yet it seems all the costumes in the movies have it no problem, where do they get it, which I am sure with their budget everything is custom made. Make it difficult for the regular consumer. Therefore forums like this help us bounce ideas off a bunch of people for solutions.

The closest most have found to the Sleeve and Turnic fabric is at Joann's and It's http://www.joann.com/home-decor-print-fabric-waverly-heritage-black/8599201.html

I will get you a picture in the morning.

Here is a close up of it......

others have also experimented with oxford cloth sewn on the bias which i truely think could be the Real-I-Am

Hi all
not sure if some one already found this or not but I found this on Etsy let me know what you guys think or is some one beat me to it?
i figure this being gray it should be easy to die this to much darker black

best
K
il_570xN.533243984_19ji.jpgil_570xN.533243970_jiyd.jpgil_570xN.533330273_kigw.jpgil_570xN.533330241_bqw3.jpg

so I went to a downtown fabric District and being in a limited time I only had an hour to two to look for what I could find and this is what I found.
I have to say the best one in my opinion is the one people have already seen it. its the fuzzy one but i found the Black one so no Dye is necessary and aside from it being Fuzzy I feel its the closest I can find with the reasonable price of 12$ per yard so here are the three different fabrics let me know what y'all think
so this will be the first choice 01IMG_5328.JPGIMG_5324.JPGIMG_5326.JPGIMG_5327.JPGIMG_5325.JPG

best
Keivan

That is one of the first potential fabrics that were found. It's "fuzzy" and (as I recall) 100% synthetic so therefore extremely hard to dye.

- - - Updated - - -

here is number 2IMG_5330.JPGIMG_5329.JPGIMG_5331.JPGIMG_5333.JPGIMG_5332.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

and Finally Number 3 which I feel like it might be the winner for me unless I find something better yes this is the fuzzy ond and you can really see the fuzz on the pic i think but the texture seem to be dead on almost

IMG_5338.JPGIMG_5337.JPGIMG_5334.JPGIMG_5336.JPGIMG_5339.JPG

This is the fabric that I picked up locally here in Poland.

ZR8wGs.jpg

Cm5MEH.jpg

I know it's not perfect size, but it's the closest one I could find that is cotton and shiny. And it was kinda cheap, $15 for meter.

This is the fabric that I picked up locally here in Poland.

View attachment 558400

View attachment 558402

I know it's not perfect size, but it's the closest one I could find that is cotton and shiny. And it was kinda cheap, $15 for meter.
elgringdado is that fabric for upholstery or was the fabric meant for garments? the textures seem a little too small but i like the fabric better then what I found. i may have to go back to my local area and keep looking for something similar to what you found. its like looking for a needle in a haystack. :facepalm

Last edited by a moderator:
Keivan , it's garments fabric. 40% cotton, 40% viscose and something else that I can't remember. Texture is smaller than it should be, yes, but I'm tired of searching ( :) ) and I like that it shines so I won't have to come up with coating. I go nowhere near to upholstery fabric, it's usually polyester, which is stiff, heavy and hard to dye.

elgringdado eng: Where did you bought it. Im from Lublin and I can't find anything.
PL: Gdzie kupiłeś tą tkaninę. Jestem z Lublina i nie mogę nic znaleźć.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back