Kuhn Global CC Red 1 (Red Leader)

Kuhn Global

Sr Member
Oky Doky.

Red Leader (RED 1) will only be shown in it's half-done state today, but never the less,.. it is here.

I learned much from these CC X-Wings... both Red 5 and Red Leaders...

Many modelers out there believe that a model should be exact to the real deal. I agree. So,... THIS CC X-Wing (Red Leader's) is being done to match the Studio Filming Model as much as possible without devoting weeks to the project. This means,.. a solid black cockpit just like the original filming model. This one is being done from the pictures in the Star Wars Chronicles book. It still needs much weathering and tint for accuracy. We simply ran out of time today and did not finish. Scott is busy enough that we are delaying finishing this RED 1 for about a month,.. when we both have the time to get together for it. He is teaching me much and has revealed much about these kits and their accuracys.

Scott was kind enough to put her together briefly to take photos of what we had for now.

http://www.kuhnglobal.net/RED1/redone1.jpg
http://www.kuhnglobal.net/RED1/redone2.jpg
http://www.kuhnglobal.net/RED1/redone3.jpg
http://www.kuhnglobal.net/RED1/redone4.jpg

These ARE optimized for the web so everyone can view it.

In the meantime... Ernie is working on RED 5 this weekend to my specifics. They will not be what everyone thinks is correct, but what I am happy with. Guess I am a little cranky tonight. LOL.

" Stay there; I just lost my starboard engine. Get set up for your attack run.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA...."

Da Dum. Da Dum...DaDaDa Dadada Dumm....... :D

Two points I'd like to add--

The pilot was painted by Alan Homola.

There is a lot more weathering on this than it looks, though it is rather subtle. And-- just as with the real models, it appears much whiter here than in person.

Scott

I can see where this is eventually going. It will be a nice addition to Kurt's collection and it's a rare thing to see Red One depicted in model form just about anywhere.

These threads are really exciting to me and fun to watch.

Made my day Kurt, so nice to see the leader and a very good job so far,looks cool with the wings closed too and i love to see the lesser famous variants painted. "Lock S foils in attack position" haha......lee

<div class='quotetop'>(ralphee @ Jul 6 2006, 09:26 AM) [snapback]1275196[/snapback]</div>
Made my day Kurt, so nice to see the leader and a very good job so far,looks cool with the wings closed too and i love to see the lesser famous variants painted. "Lock S foils in attack position" haha......lee
[/b]
Thanks Ralphee. It made my day as well. :D

Something new we will see in RED Leader's X is a WHITE-DOMED R2 unit. The unit is white and black according to the Chronicles book. Kewl. I remember seeing a full sized one in the movie somewhere,.. just don't remember what scene. Scenility sets in for me these days. LOL. There had been mention to me of a screen cap showing an R5 unit :confused , but I have to keep to the book reference photo for true preservation of the Studio Model.

BTW... anyone make an R5 to fit these?

dutch1.jpg

dutch2.jpg

dutch3.jpg

dutch4.jpg

dutch6.jpg

dutch5.jpg

Yeah. Old 'Dutch' has a red and black R5 unit in the 1:1.

Nobody notices the white domed R2 that's in the filming model because almost all shots of Red One are like those in the grabs above. Fairly distant and/or at angles where clear views of the miniature R2 just aren't visible.

The R2 in the large black ILM book of years ago there is a pic of Red leader's SS X-wing on a pylon that has a red R2 and is the one I chose to do for my Red Leader.
So there is more then just a white R2 in Red leaders X-wing.

I did a lot of research when I did my Red leader.
Also Red leaders damage on his nose has more of a "star burst" effect on missing panel.

I would post pics of mine, but I don't want to hyjack your thread, unless you would want me to.

I found some pics in an old Topps Rebel magizine I have that has a real nice shot of Red leader that is in the chronicals, but it is a lot bigger and shows alot more detail, enough I want to add it to mine as I missed it the first time around.

Looking really good BTW..

Lynn

^ Goll-dangit.

I forgot about the large ILM book. I actually DO have a copy of it. I remember pining for that thing for years and then I finally bought it about 15 years ago for about 50 dollars ( a STEAL at that time ).

I need to break it out.

Lynn,

Any chance you could scan that old Topps Rebel magizine photo a good resolution and upload it? I'd LOVE to see anyting better than I already have.

Thanks

Ryan

<div class='quotetop'>(belleauwood @ Jul 6 2006, 10:03 PM) [snapback]1275610[/snapback]</div>
Lynn,

Any chance you could scan that old Topps Rebel magizine photo a good resolution and upload it? I'd LOVE to see anyting better than I already have.

Thanks

Ryan
[/b]

Sure, I can try and take a pic of it over the weekend and see how it turns out.

The Y-wing has al those tiny little black rectangles all over the place, which I never noticed until I started ripping into all the photos I could while resaerching my Y-wing repaint and I was amazed as to what was on it and how many, and so does Red Leader, they are all over the place. The inner wings are coverd with them.

I was astonished as to the detail that was on it when I saw it, It even has little red rectangles on it in certain areas.
It was just amazing what I MISSED in details and need to go back and add.

I thought I got it close, but man was I wrong.

Lynn

<div class='quotetop'>(Hand Solo @ Jul 6 2006, 09:44 PM) [snapback]1275587[/snapback]</div>
^ Goll-dangit.

I forgot about the large ILM book. I actually DO have a copy of it. I remember pining for that thing for years and then I finally bought it about 15 years ago for about 50 dollars ( a STEAL at that time ).

I need to break it out.
[/b]

The Red Leader SS pic is on page 10 of that book.
I paid over $80 for mine when it was new. :p

Lynn

I wasn't going to hyjack his thread and post pics of mine and if he wants me to take the pics of mine down I will,
but here is my Red Leader with the red R2.

Lynn

I wouldn't presume to speak for Kurt, but I can tell you he's pretty easy-going and digs this stuff to the Nth degree as do we all.

I don't think he'd see this as a hijack in any event.

That is one kewl Red One, Lynn. I like the way you mounted it to the wall with pipe fittings.

Kurt? You're easy goin', right? Right. :D

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back