Kuhn Global CC Red 1 (Red Leader)

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by Kuhn Global, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

Oky Doky.

Red Leader (RED 1) will only be shown in it's half-done state today, but never the less,.. it is here.

I learned much from these CC X-Wings... both Red 5 and Red Leaders...

Many modelers out there believe that a model should be exact to the real deal. I agree. So,... THIS CC X-Wing (Red Leader's) is being done to match the Studio Filming Model as much as possible without devoting weeks to the project. This means,.. a solid black cockpit just like the original filming model. This one is being done from the pictures in the Star Wars Chronicles book. It still needs much weathering and tint for accuracy. We simply ran out of time today and did not finish. Scott is busy enough that we are delaying finishing this RED 1 for about a month,.. when we both have the time to get together for it. He is teaching me much and has revealed much about these kits and their accuracys.

Scott was kind enough to put her together briefly to take photos of what we had for now.

http://www.kuhnglobal.net/RED1/redone1.jpg
    http://www.kuhnglobal.net/RED1/redone2.jpg
    http://www.kuhnglobal.net/RED1/redone3.jpg
    http://www.kuhnglobal.net/RED1/redone4.jpg

These ARE optimized for the web so everyone can view it.

In the meantime... Ernie is working on RED 5 this weekend to my specifics. They will not be what everyone thinks is correct, but what I am happy with. Guess I am a little cranky tonight. LOL.

2. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

" Stay there; I just lost my starboard engine. Get set up for your attack run.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA...."

Da Dum. Da Dum...DaDaDa Dadada Dumm....... :D

3. CaptCBoard

CaptCBoard Well-Known Member

Two points I'd like to add--

The pilot was painted by Alan Homola.

There is a lot more weathering on this than it looks, though it is rather subtle. And-- just as with the real models, it appears much whiter here than in person.

Scott

4. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

I can see where this is eventually going. It will be a nice addition to Kurt's collection and it's a rare thing to see Red One depicted in model form just about anywhere.

These threads are really exciting to me and fun to watch.

5. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

See my MR Y-Wing thread for scale pics with both the RED 5 and the Y.

6. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

Made my day Kurt, so nice to see the leader and a very good job so far,looks cool with the wings closed too and i love to see the lesser famous variants painted. "Lock S foils in attack position" haha......lee

7. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(ralphee @ Jul 6 2006, 09:26 AM) [snapback]1275196[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks Ralphee. It made my day as well. :D

Something new we will see in RED Leader's X is a WHITE-DOMED R2 unit. The unit is white and black according to the Chronicles book. Kewl. I remember seeing a full sized one in the movie somewhere,.. just don't remember what scene. Scenility sets in for me these days. LOL. There had been mention to me of a screen cap showing an R5 unit :confused , but I have to keep to the book reference photo for true preservation of the Studio Model.

BTW... anyone make an R5 to fit these?

8. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

9. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

Yeah. Old 'Dutch' has a red and black R5 unit in the 1:1.

Nobody notices the white domed R2 that's in the filming model because almost all shots of Red One are like those in the grabs above. Fairly distant and/or at angles where clear views of the miniature R2 just aren't visible.

10. REL

REL Sr Member

Awesome. Can't wait to see it complete.

11. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

The R2 in the large black ILM book of years ago there is a pic of Red leader's SS X-wing on a pylon that has a red R2 and is the one I chose to do for my Red Leader.
    So there is more then just a white R2 in Red leaders X-wing.

I did a lot of research when I did my Red leader.
    Also Red leaders damage on his nose has more of a "star burst" effect on missing panel.

I would post pics of mine, but I don't want to hyjack your thread, unless you would want me to.

I found some pics in an old Topps Rebel magizine I have that has a real nice shot of Red leader that is in the chronicals, but it is a lot bigger and shows alot more detail, enough I want to add it to mine as I missed it the first time around.

Looking really good BTW..

Lynn

12. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

^ Goll-dangit.

I forgot about the large ILM book. I actually DO have a copy of it. I remember pining for that thing for years and then I finally bought it about 15 years ago for about 50 dollars ( a STEAL at that time ).

I need to break it out.

13. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

Sweet. Nice to see 1.

14. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

Here is Red leaders life sized set R5, from what I gatherd it is the R5 D4 droid from the Jawa scene repainted.

Lynn

15. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

Excellent images of that R5 dome.

Thanks for posting those.

16. belleauwood

belleauwood Well-Known Member

Lynn,

Any chance you could scan that old Topps Rebel magizine photo a good resolution and upload it? I'd LOVE to see anyting better than I already have.

Thanks

Ryan

17. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(belleauwood @ Jul 6 2006, 10:03 PM) [snapback]1275610[/snapback]</div>
    Sure, I can try and take a pic of it over the weekend and see how it turns out.

The Y-wing has al those tiny little black rectangles all over the place, which I never noticed until I started ripping into all the photos I could while resaerching my Y-wing repaint and I was amazed as to what was on it and how many, and so does Red Leader, they are all over the place. The inner wings are coverd with them.

I was astonished as to the detail that was on it when I saw it, It even has little red rectangles on it in certain areas.
    It was just amazing what I MISSED in details and need to go back and add.

I thought I got it close, but man was I wrong.

Lynn

<div class='quotetop'>(Hand Solo @ Jul 6 2006, 09:44 PM) [snapback]1275587[/snapback]</div>
    The Red Leader SS pic is on page 10 of that book.
    I paid over $80 for mine when it was new. :p

Lynn

18. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

Thanks Lynn for pointing out where to find the Red One SS. I took the liberty of making a scan with a cropped in close-up of the R2.

[​IMG]

Link to 600 DPI full scan

[​IMG]

19. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

I wasn't going to hyjack his thread and post pics of mine and if he wants me to take the pics of mine down I will,
    but here is my Red Leader with the red R2.

Lynn

20. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

I wouldn't presume to speak for Kurt, but I can tell you he's pretty easy-going and digs this stuff to the Nth degree as do we all.

I don't think he'd see this as a hijack in any event.

That is one kewl Red One, Lynn. I like the way you mounted it to the wall with pipe fittings.

Kurt? You're easy goin', right? Right. :D

21. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

That cool.
    Thanks for the comps.
    All of my SS models are displayed this way, I want it to look kind of like pylons for setting the models on ready for filming and my Y-wing will be displayed just the same.
    I like bases, but this is much simpler and looks effective.

Lynn

22. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Lynn TXP 0369 @ Jul 6 2006, 06:38 PM) [snapback]1275585[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the compliment and heads-up Lynn.

Yeah... we still have much to do on the weathering. The starburst effect has much more work to do as you stated. I have been discussing the possibilty of doing the red R5 unit instead of the white R2 that Chronicles shows with Hand Solo. We just had to re-layer the base coat lighter since finding out our base coat was too dark... then the weathering has to be applied again. Well,.. for the most part anyway..lol.

I wonder if I may request a a Hi Res scan of the Topps Rebel Mag from you? It would be very helpful indeed. As of now, we are totally looking at Chronicles for reference.

Is your red leader with wings opened or closed? Mine is obviously done wings closed..lol.

No worries about Hi-Jacking. If ya notice it happening just give folks a nudge back...lol. I had to do that on a guy's Galactica Collection post that Coby's stuff suddenly took off on...lol. It's like a big flow of excitement... Yeah,... no worries at all, but thanks for being aware.

Time availing,.. my Red Leader will be shown completed the second week of August. Just have to make sure Scott and my schedules jive. He's doing all the work anyway. LOL... I am just the learning drone that owns the piece. LOL. It will be like the filming model.. or at least very close. Maybe I should place a gob of glue somewhere on it for shop reality effect. LOL.

<div class='quotetop'>(Lynn TXP 0369 @ Jul 6 2006, 07:32 PM) [snapback]1275626[/snapback]</div>
    That is the BOMB...

A little bit of daughter's lingo there..lol

Very VERY nice Lynn.

I will aspire for mine to be done as good.

SWEEEEEEEEEETT.

23. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

I got a great tech journal pic i can scan and put on here if anyone hasnt got it, its a great image and nice and big, it shows the white R2 in place and no pilot. Let me know and ill dig it out lads......lee

Well found it so here it is, ill be using this coupled with Chronicles ref for mine.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v642/ralphee/Red1scan.jpg

24. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

Thats the magazine I was talking about and I have.
    I was thinking it was a Topps mag.

That pic shows A LOT of detail.

All those little rectangles all over the place.

That is a great pic, I'll try to geta bigger pic of it.

Lynn

25. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

Ooo Ooo,.. yes... bigger pic... please.

Thanks guys.

26. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

Bob,.. can't wait to see the R5 unit you're sculpting for these. I know you just started on it last night,....but,.... pic today maybe? ;)

27. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Kuhn Global @ Jul 7 2006, 07:38 AM) [snapback]1275892[/snapback]</div>
    Pics tonight.

I leave for vacation a week from tomorrow, so I won't be doing much beyond getting the R5 painted. Hopefully I can get some good pics. I have no macro on the still camera and the resolution of the camcorder is limited but to paraphrase the Dark Side Anakin, " I will try. "

Bear in mind too that this R5 was eyeballed, with no measurements ( which I'll need ) and 'turned' on a bench sander. I could make them much better with both a lathe and exact measurements of the existing R2 unit that comes with the CC kit. Once I have measurements at least, then I can turn something much more exact. With a lathe, I could make the master a 3-piece affair ( one piece head and upper body and each 'shoulder'). The proto I worked up is made up of six pieces...head, two washers for the neck, upper body and the two 'shoulders'.

<div class='quotetop'>(ralphee @ Jul 6 2006, 11:15 PM) [snapback]1275743[/snapback]</div>
    I wouldn't be afraid to scan that at 600 DPI if you can, OR to post larger pics. You should see some of the pics the Prop and Costume people post.

They're much more relaxed about image posting on this board vice other places. You should be fine posting stuff around 600 px in width without bogging load times for dial-up ( ack. ) users down too much.

28. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

Ill see what i can do, ill get back to the scanner shortly.

29. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

Anybody have the Hi-Res scan of the stated and detailed pic yet? I am anxious to see it. ;)

30. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Kuhn Global @ Jul 8 2006, 09:46 AM) [snapback]1276695[/snapback]</div>
    I took a high resolution scan from the same image from my copy of Star Wars: The Visual Dictionary. I omitted the text and call-outs for clarity.

[​IMG]

Link to high resolution image

I can't tell if there's a white R2 in the socket, or if the red one's color has been washed out by flash.

31. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

Its a white/grey R2 unit in the prop, at least from all my images, i thought the red/black livery was on an R5 unit anyway for the live action cockpit.

32. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

It appears to be a white/grey R2 in some images of the prop and a red one in others.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We know about the red and black R5 unit in the 1:1. Check earlier in the thread. :)

33. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

Doh lol, got it buddy, as for your first image id go with white/grey, and yes its obvious red in the other two images, have to say i prefer the white unit in the prop, but the R5 is so tempting to put in lol.

34. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'></div>
    I'm working on making that an option. ;)

35. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

haha count me in. ;)

36. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(ralphee @ Jul 8 2006, 11:37 AM) [snapback]1276752[/snapback]</div>

It'd allow a person to swap either-or depending on their preferences.

I'm not a caster, but I think it would be an ideal way for me to learn and do some limited casting. A partial R5 unit should be fairly simple.

37. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

Sorry guys, I couldn't get any better pics of the photo from that mag all ready posted. My camera won't get that good of detail.

Lynn

38. -... . .- --..

-... . .- --.. Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Hand Solo @ Jul 8 2006, 01:58 PM) [snapback]1276728[/snapback]</div>
    Just remember that there were at least two Red One models: a hero and a pyro. The screencaps posted above of Red One's demise show a pyro. Most of the other images of Red One in this thread are of the hero model.

39. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

^ Understood.

The R2 color in the pyro model in the caps is never clear. If I had to hazard an 'educated guess', I'd say the pyro would have been the one with the white-appearing R2.

40. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

Interesting..., but the HUGE beauty shots of the filming model in the Chronicles book would make me think otherwise. It's a bit too nice of a model to be a Pyro,.. and it has the white R2. It is obvious that the Red R5 is in most of the shots, however.

41. PHArchivist

Kurt I'm lame and can't remeber or read...

Did you ever receive a completed Red 1?

And what's the outlook on a KG Red 2?

42. REL

REL Sr Member

Kurt has hired me to build his hero Red 1, and Bob (Hand Solo) is building his Red 2 right now. Scott Alexander built a closed wing Red 1 for him.

43. PHArchivist

Looking forward to pics in the not too far off future!

44. Scott Graham

Scott Graham Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey Lee,

Can you post this pic again and maybe the other you're talking about? The link doesn't work anymore...

I'm starting on a CC red leader. Just got a kit cheap on ebay. I have your excellent build on another thread as reference, but I'd really like to see any obscure shots of red 1.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Scott

45. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

Scott, ill see what i can do, i lost a few files here and there transferring to a new PC buddy, but, i will go check the other harddrive ( i know its not appearing on this one) and see what i can do! Good luck, hope to see your progress!

lee

46. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

I look forward to viewing your build! I have always loved Red Leader's paint and weathering scheme!

There will be a new Red Leader done with the SalzMO V3 done VERY soon for the collection... as well as the rest of the squad. ;) I am looking forward to it as well.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  47. Scott Graham

Thanks Lee and Kurt! I have to start posting my stuff here, and this may as well be the first!

48. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

FANTASTIC! Looking forward to viewing it! :D

49. yodasan

yodasan Sr Member

Were you the guy who won the V2 that went for only around $160 a
    couple of weeks ago? pretty good deal if the kit was in good shape.

50. Scott Graham

Yeah, that was me. It's missing the plug for the rear of the x-wing though. I've talked to Mike Salzo about a replacement and he'll get me one when the V3 goes into production in a few weeks. Nice inexpensive kit hopefully equals less stress during the build :lol