Krang Android Suit - TMNT 1987 (PIC HEAVY)

Thanks man. Its a little different than Isaac Clarke that is for sure! :D I'm on hold until my order of Monster Clay gets filled. They are apparently on back order due to Halloween. So to pass the time, I'm making a set of 1987 animated series Shredder armor. I started Friday morning and only have the helmet left to fabricate.

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af169/Eighty0ne/Shredder/20151003_135858_zps9u3vgxtd.jpg

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af169/Eighty0ne/Shredder/20151003_135833_zps157pouuu.jpg

I wish I had talent to do that.

The arm gauntlets look a little short to me. I think maybe they should be the same length as the legs? or maybe a little in between...

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks! I haven't seen a ton of TMNT in Seattle at ECCC for the last couple of years. I hope I run into a Shredder or two!

there is one at NYCC...I didn't get a good look at it, but while it wasn't bad for what it was, there is room for someone to do better ;o).

- - - Updated - - -

Well, Hobby Lobby was pretty sweet. They had a much better selection of stuff than both Joann's and Michael's. Unfortunately, there was no Monster Clay. So now I'm going to have to order it online and wait. :( So, on to other parts. I made the bracelets and then started to weather the metallic painted parts with black acrylic paint.
http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af169/Eighty0ne/Krang Cosplay/20150911_155910_zpslsjvaun6.jpg

Made, painted, and weathered... KRANG WAS DRY! So, I went to town.

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af169/Eighty0ne/Krang Cosplay/20150911_180030_zpsrllrviya.jpg

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af169/Eighty0ne/Krang Cosplay/20150911_213947_zpsd8jyu4ac.jpg

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af169/Eighty0ne/Krang Cosplay/20150911_213940_zpso05ztqzl.jpg

wow! damn impressive for a scratch build. It's tough to nail down a toon accurate design, because the designs in the toon NEVER Stayed the same, unless it was the same animation company doing various episodes. and it's REAL easy to pick out what animation company did which episodes cause they all have the same look.

people always tell me he looks pink, but I think you got the color scheme down a bit perfect ;o).

Thanks for all the kind words. If I made the forearms the same length as the shins, they would go to half way to my shoulders! :D I am not going to attach the elastic bands until the pieces have been painted, but here is a picture to give an idea the length while on my arm. Keep in mind that they are not strapped down and just sitting on my forearm. Once the elastic is in place, they will contour to my arm better.

And you are totally right about inconsistencies in animation. The location and total number of blades vary from scene to scene on Shredder's armor. I took what I liked best visually and ran with it. Here are some examples. Check out the blades in these pictures.

yep, that's pretty much what I did for my CGI shredder, too. The legs and feet still don't look right, but I like everything else....finally.

12079845_10153576622970211_8675355458475988160_o.jpg

Work has been pretty intense lately. I have been commuting over 200 miles a day for the last 4 weeks and have had zero time to work on fun stuff for quite a while. I did finish the quick Shredder build before the commuting began. I'll post the finalized pics below. Also, last night I decided that I was going to make time to start sculpting Krang's android head. I have never sculpted anything before. So, I treated it like working with foam for the first time. First stop, Youtube. I watched a few videos and reached out to fellow RPF'er Steven K. Smith, (whose Isaac Clarke build enspired me to get into this crazy cosplay world) for a couple of tips and tricks of the trade. Well, about 5 total hours and two blisters later, I have a very roughed out shape that I am happy with so far. Sadly, I won't be able to mess with it for another week. But I haven't posted an update in over a month, so here is what I've got.

Shredder painted and elastic added:

I started with a plaster cast of my dome. (Firefly marathon in the background)

I figured that I would make the glasses out of a sheet of styrene plastic and add them last.

But until next time.

COWABUNGA! This is so awesome! That Krang sculpt looks amazing, and that shredder armor is so well done. Wish I could go to ECCC maybe one day we'll run into each other! Looking forward to seeing more posts and progress, keep it up!

COWABUNGA! This is so awesome! That Krang sculpt looks amazing, and that shredder armor is so well done. Wish I could go to ECCC maybe one day we'll run into each other! Looking forward to seeing more posts and progress, keep it up!

Thanks! I hope you can make the trip too! Some day I will travel to San Diego. If you don't make the trip here, maybe we have a run in down there!

Merry Christmas to all at the RPF! I have a quick question for anyone in the Seattle/Tacoma/Olympia, Washington area. I was finally going to buy my mold & casting materials for a Christmas present to myself. I consulted SKS Props asking what products he uses. He uses Smooth-On. I would love to use something that I know produces excellent results as his work is flawless. However, he has a local supplier. According to Smooth-On's distributor list, the nearest Smooth-On dealer is in Walla Walla (like an 8 hr drive from my house). Does anyone local to the Seattle/Tacoma/Olympia area know of a dealer near by? Or where do you buy your molding / casting supplies and what brand do you use? I need options before I drop $400 bucks on supplies and another $120 in shipping alone.

I'm 99% sure TAP plastics has a Seattle location. They sell molding and casting supplies, all are a house brand. Im not certain how they compare prices wise with other sources, but i like them, and at least at my local store they are very knowledgeable and helpful.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I'm 99% sure TAP plastics has a Seattle location. They sell molding and casting supplies, all are a house brand. Im not certain how they compare prices wise with other sources, but i like them, and at least at my local store they are very knowledgeable and helpful.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Awesome. Thank you. I will check them out.

Happy to help, Im not super knowledgeable about mold making and casting, i have only done it a handful of times and i am the type of person who is happy to pay a little bit of a premium for face to face human interaction and advice. I have also had luck finding casting supplies at pottery supply places, so check with a local pottery supply company as they probably also have knowledgeable staff and supporting local businesses is awesome.

JWKruser. You can buy a lot of Smooth-On products at Seattle Pottery Supply in SoDo. Between there and the TAP Plastics in South Lake Union I think you could get what you are looking for. Depends on what you want to spend and what you are planning on making the mold/cast out of. Message me if you want to discuss more. I'm in Seattle too.

Its been a while since I've updated this thread. I'm so close to the mold making and rotocasting part i can taste it. LOOK AT THIS!!! All this arrived, yet still not everything needed to mold my helm. Missing Thi-vex for the Smooth-on Rebound 25 and missing the Plastipaste II for the mother mold! They're on their way. Should be here at the beginning of next week.

JWKruser. You can buy a lot of Smooth-On products at Seattle Pottery Supply in SoDo. Between there and the TAP Plastics in South Lake Union I think you could get what you are looking for. Depends on what you want to spend and what you are planning on making the mold/cast out of. Message me if you want to discuss more. I'm in Seattle too.

Seattle Pottery Supply had the Rebound 25, but no Smooth Cast 65d for rotocasting. The resins they had werent designed to rotocast and had a "snap cure" and their shore hardness would have made the end product very brittle. Thank you for the suggestion though. It will definately be a place that is reliable for Rebound 25 as they had tons on the shelves.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back