Krang Android Suit - TMNT 1987 (PIC HEAVY)

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by JWKruser, Aug 29, 2015.

1. JWKruser

JWKruser Active Member

Hey all!

This whole costume making/cosplay thing is pretty addictive! I finished my first costume (Dead Space) a little while ago and learned so much. I shared my progress here on and this community was so awesome and full of encouragement. The positive feedback received from you all encouraged me throughout the process.

Now that its done, I'm sitting here chomping at the bit to do another one. So, I started a new build. Over the last two days I've spent 22 hours in the garage working on my very own Krang Android suit from my childhood favorite cartoon. TMNT!

491037_zpskls67sra.jpg

So,here come a ton ofpictures.

rs8_zpsayvmv6cv.png

Starting with a thin diamond backed foam floor mat, I made a tube to fit around my stomach and began building around that to make Krang's chamber.

20150822_185012_zpsitofco42.jpg

20150823_055339_zps8ydkxnve.jpg

Piece by piece, the "chamber" began to take shape.

20150823_192023_zps8w0i364t.jpg

I was careful to leave at least 3/4 of an inch excess at the top of the chamber so that I would have enough surface area to glue the torso directly to the chamber.

20150823_192044_zpspteed9c3.jpg

Once the "chamber" was blocked out, I roughed out suspender's length and started on the shoulders.

20150828_110210_zpsdcxfvc0t.jpg

I have never made shoulders before. So after watching a video from Evil Ted Smith. I drew out a pattern I thought would work and went to town. Once they were done they had a cool shape, but never really did look like I wanted them to. I figured I would shape them once I had more overall to look at and make my decision then.

20150828_105800_zpshr9xykjf.jpg

20150828_114126_zpsolu3a4cw.jpg

I temporarily pinned them to the suspenders to get an idea. Still didn't like them.

20150828_134712_zpslhqzdp5e.jpg

I moved on to the stomach and chest. Using the thin diamond back foam floor mat I made 4 pieces and layered them to give the chest those distinctive lines.

20150828_155024_zpsxetxzjkx.jpg

krang-long-shot-krang-coming-to-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-2-jpeg-116284_zpsszi6b6w8.jpg

Attached suspenders and mocked it into place on the chamber to get ready for glue.

20150828_165003_zpstyrjbbjh.jpg

Still hating the shoulders...

20150828_185849_zpsu3c8lzpk.jpg

Using large poster board card stock style paper I roughed out the sides between suspenders with arm holes. I tried to keep that wide shoulder, triangular upper body shape.

20150828_220544_zpscqxfwa0u.jpg

20150828_220552_zpscccvrboj.jpg

TEST FIT!!! Fits like a glove! still hate the shoulders....

20150828_220128_zpsdwsslprn.jpg

Time to start detailing out little odds and ends.

20150829_093429_zpsye5edlay.jpg

20150829_094253_zpsfgzk8jxg.jpg

20150829_090900_zpsz2kmejc3.jpg

And then I finally cut the shoulders to an acceptable shape. Finally, I like them. :D Had to do another test fit. Much happier with them now.

20150829_125513_zpsj0ojodum.jpg

20150829_125524_zpsqgor1fqd.jpg

20150829_152910_zpswn3m1lbf.jpg

For the back, I decided to use a heavy duty zipper. Using Barge cement, I glued the zipper to two separate 3 inch strips of super thin craft foam.

20150829_141821_zpskvcsi9td.jpg

20150829_170456_zpsiqlrwf0e.jpg

Now, to kind of hide the zipper, I made a large vent like structure that will cover it. The vent is held in place by magnets.

20150829_170505_zpsf3oyx1f4.jpg

20150829_170516_zpsswrep9bh.jpg

That's it for this weekend. Until next weekend! :D

491037_zpskls67sra.jpg

rs8_zpsayvmv6cv.png

20150822_185012_zpsitofco42.jpg

20150823_055339_zps8ydkxnve.jpg

20150823_192023_zps8w0i364t.jpg

20150823_192044_zpspteed9c3.jpg

20150828_110210_zpsdcxfvc0t.jpg

20150828_105800_zpshr9xykjf.jpg

20150828_114126_zpsolu3a4cw.jpg

20150828_134712_zpslhqzdp5e.jpg

20150828_155024_zpsxetxzjkx.jpg

krang-long-shot-krang-coming-to-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-2-jpeg-116284_zpsszi6b6w8.jpg

20150828_165003_zpstyrjbbjh.jpg

20150828_185849_zpsu3c8lzpk.jpg

20150828_220544_zpscqxfwa0u.jpg

20150828_220552_zpscccvrboj.jpg

20150828_220128_zpsdwsslprn.jpg

20150829_093429_zpsye5edlay.jpg

20150829_094253_zpsfgzk8jxg.jpg

20150829_090900_zpsz2kmejc3.jpg

20150829_125513_zpsj0ojodum.jpg

20150829_125524_zpsqgor1fqd.jpg

20150829_152910_zpswn3m1lbf.jpg

20150829_141821_zpskvcsi9td.jpg

20150829_170456_zpsiqlrwf0e.jpg

20150829_170505_zpsf3oyx1f4.jpg

20150829_170516_zpsswrep9bh.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
    Zwilliamo, George, maton and 2 others like this.
  2. collinE83

collinE83 Well-Known Member

I have to say, your Krang suit already looks 10x cooler than the cartoon version.

JWKruser likes this.
  3. JWKruser

JWKruser Active Member

Thanks!

4. skillsthebarber

skillsthebarber New Member

looks great. im working on a shredder using the floormats. its not perfect but ive had fun using it as a learning experience

JWKruser likes this.
  5. nick daring

nick daring Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Totallly radical.

JWKruser likes this.
  6. JWKruser

JWKruser Active Member

I should finish this by Emerald City Comic-Con in April 2016. I hope to run into a few other TMNT cosplayers. I saw a few of them last year. :D

7. JWKruser

JWKruser Active Member

Torso fabrication DONE!!! I re-watched the episode from the first season where Shredder finally finishes Krangs new body. In that episode there are some good shots of the android suit's back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I used Kwik Seal from DAP to fill in imperfections and seams in the shoulders. Then a coat of Modge Podge on the shoulders and let it sit over night. Then for a couple coats of plastidip, primer then I started painting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The flesh tone and hammered metallic paint are not quite cured enough to put masking tape on just yet so I shot a quick light coat of yellow around the bottom. I will let it cure over night and try to mask off the top half tomorrow so I can finish painting the yellow portion. STOKED!!!! :D

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
    SKS Props, George, Pseudonym and 2 others like this.
  8. Contec

Contec Master Member

So cool, can't wait to see it finished.

JWKruser likes this.
  9. Radical Gordon

Radical Gordon New Member

This is brilliant, great work. I look forward to seeing it finished.

JWKruser likes this.
  10. Pseudonym

Pseudonym New Member

DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE!!! Nerding the eff out over here! Awesome work so far!

JWKruser likes this.
  11. nick daring

Stunning work!

JWKruser likes this.
  12. JWKruser

JWKruser Active Member

Paint done aside from weathering which will be done using acrylic paints and a brush. Now to make Krang himself. Using the same method a fellow rpf member did, I picked up some Crayola model magic. But first, I wanted to be able to make sure I made an easy way to pull him in and out of the chamber. So, I measured the chamber and cut a piece of foam floor mat and recessed 3 magnets into the foam. I used this piece to build up Krang directly on it with the same contour as the inside of the chamber. Once he hardens over night, I will paint him, attach him directly to the foam piece then he will snap into place with magnets!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Sunkistshark

Sunkistshark Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

looking forward to see this finished :) Great job so far

JWKruser likes this.
  14. hun buns

hun buns New Member

Krang looks disgusting.... Great work. Following you work =)

YenChih Lin and JWKruser like this.
  15. Grimwood

Grimwood Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That is fan-flipping-tastic! Excellent work!

JWKruser likes this.
  16. collinE83

collinE83 Well-Known Member

I was waiting to see how Krang would turn out and he looks great! Good job.

JWKruser likes this.
  17. B Wo

B Wo Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hurray for Model Magic. You picked the perfect medium in which to sculpt Krang, haha. Your build is awesome. I'm eager to see it finished.

JWKruser likes this.
  18. PoopaPapaPalps

PoopaPapaPalps Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Totally tubular!

B Wo and JWKruser like this.
  19. JWKruser

JWKruser Active Member

:) I love this forum. All the positive feedback drives me to do better. The Model magic is cracking for some reason, and it isn't fully dry yet. I am going to give it 2 to 3 more days and then coat the heck out of it with plastidip or modge podge to see if I can fill them in before starting over. We will see.

20. JWKruser

JWKruser Active Member

Patience was never my strong suit. I told myself I wasn't going to touch it for 2-3 more days, but I couldn't help myself. KRANG TEST FIT!
    [​IMG]

maton, Grimwood, Pseudonym and 3 others like this.
  21. flastra

flastra Jr Member

Looking great so far, can't wait to see the end result

JWKruser likes this.
  22. DazzlerFan

DazzlerFan Member

Fantastic work! I'm learning a lot about L200 just from following this thread. Keep up the great work!

JWKruser likes this.
  23. Tribal Spaceman

Tribal Spaceman Active Member

This is so exciting to see come together!

JWKruser likes this.
  24. Rupert_Angier

Rupert_Angier Sr Member

Incredible. Simply incredible!

JWKruser likes this.
  25. James1214

James1214 New Member

brilliant work so far

JWKruser likes this.
  26. zoal

zoal Member

Bravo. I'd have never thought of this for a costume. Good idea, well executed - cant wait to see more.

JWKruser likes this.
  27. crypto

crypto Active Member

Amazing work !!!

Nice clean foam work and Krang ..... well he looks freaking awesome !

JWKruser likes this.
  28. maton

maton Active Member

This is totally Radical!!! Awesome work man! Very impressed. Can't wait to see more :D

JWKruser likes this.
  29. JWKruser

JWKruser Active Member

Remember what I said about patience not being my strong suit? Well, Krang STILL isn't dry underneath. I'm starting to think about an alternate medium to use to make him. Any suggestions?

30. nick daring

Just put a fan on him and let it run for a while and it'll dry out.

Can't you just move onto the next part and come back to Krang in a day or two? Those sunglasses aren't going to build themselves! :)

JWKruser likes this.
  31. JWKruser

JWKruser Active Member

LOL.. I could.. :D I work Monday-Thursday and have Fri-Sun to work in the shop. I get so 1 track minded I wanted to finish Krang before moving on to the head because I've never sculpted with clay before and that is my plan for the head. I want to sculpt it, make a mold, and cast the head in a resin to wear like a helmet. That way I can achieve that "cone head" shape and possibly wire in a motor so the little antenna on the top can spin! We just got a brand new Hobby Lobby near where I live. It literally opened up this week and I am going first thing in the morning. Hoping they have Monster Clay. I reached out to Steven K Smith from SKS props and he recommended it. So, hopefully they'll have some along with some sculpting supplies.

32. JWKruser

JWKruser Active Member

Well, Hobby Lobby was pretty sweet. They had a much better selection of stuff than both Joann's and Michael's. Unfortunately, there was no Monster Clay. So now I'm going to have to order it online and wait. :( So, on to other parts. I made the bracelets and then started to weather the metallic painted parts with black acrylic paint.
    [​IMG]

Made, painted, and weathered... KRANG WAS DRY! So, I went to town.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
    FoamMaster, JPH, Alpha Proto and 2 others like this.
  33. terminator fan

terminator fan Member

Look absolutely unreal. Amazing work

JWKruser likes this.
  34. Destarius

Destarius New Member

This has made my day. Love it.

JWKruser likes this.
  35. George

George Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Big TMNT fan here (loved the first '90ies movie very much).Your build is awesome so far ! :thumbsup
    I hope you'll get lots of positive feedback on and outside the forum :cool

JWKruser likes this.
  36. JWKruser

JWKruser Active Member

Thanks! I haven't seen a ton of TMNT in Seattle at ECCC for the last couple of years. I hope I run into a Shredder or two!

funboy1013xx and George like this.
  37. funboy1013xx

funboy1013xx Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

bro! this build hit me from left field after your dead space build. wasn't expecting this at all LOL great work so far as always! will def be looking forward to more pic's!! :thumbsup

JWKruser likes this.
  38. JPH

JPH Sr Member

Astounding! Well done! Great build!

JWKruser likes this.
  39. JWKruser

JWKruser Active Member

Thanks man. Its a little different than Isaac Clarke that is for sure! :D I'm on hold until my order of Monster Clay gets filled. They are apparently on back order due to Halloween. So to pass the time, I'm making a set of 1987 animated series Shredder armor. I started Friday morning and only have the helmet left to fabricate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

George, JPH and Epona_Rhi like this.
  40. Epona_Rhi

Epona_Rhi Well-Known Member

You are a machine! Literally ^^

JWKruser likes this.
  41. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

I wish I had talent to do that.

The arm gauntlets look a little short to me. I think maybe they should be the same length as the legs? or maybe a little in between...

- - - Updated - - -

there is one at NYCC...I didn't get a good look at it, but while it wasn't bad for what it was, there is room for someone to do better ;o).

- - - Updated - - -

wow! * impressive for a scratch build. It's tough to nail down a toon accurate design, because the designs in the toon NEVER Stayed the same, unless it was the same animation company doing various episodes. and it's REAL easy to pick out what animation company did which episodes cause they all have the same look.

people always tell me he looks pink, but I think you got the color scheme down a bit perfect ;o).

JWKruser likes this.
  42. JWKruser

JWKruser Active Member

Thanks for all the kind words. If I made the forearms the same length as the shins, they would go to half way to my shoulders! :D I am not going to attach the elastic bands until the pieces have been painted, but here is a picture to give an idea the length while on my arm. Keep in mind that they are not strapped down and just sitting on my forearm. Once the elastic is in place, they will contour to my arm better.

[​IMG]

George and KrangPrime like this.
  43. JWKruser

JWKruser Active Member

And you are totally right about inconsistencies in animation. The location and total number of blades vary from scene to scene on Shredder's armor. I took what I liked best visually and ran with it. Here are some examples. Check out the blades in these pictures.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

44. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

yep, that's pretty much what I did for my CGI shredder, too. The legs and feet still don't look right, but I like everything else....finally.

[​IMG]

JWKruser likes this.
  45. JWKruser

JWKruser Active Member

Its been a really good weekend. Time to call it though. Gotta go back to work tomorrow, but here are pictures from tonight. Armor made, plastidipped, and primed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

George and collinE83 like this.
  46. WBE

WBE Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Such quick and beautiful foam work. Very inspiring, keep it up.

JWKruser likes this.
  47. JWKruser

JWKruser Active Member

Work has been pretty intense lately. I have been commuting over 200 miles a day for the last 4 weeks and have had zero time to work on fun stuff for quite a while. I did finish the quick Shredder build before the commuting began. I'll post the finalized pics below. Also, last night I decided that I was going to make time to start sculpting Krang's android head. I have never sculpted anything before. So, I treated it like working with foam for the first time. First stop, Youtube. I watched a few videos and reached out to fellow RPF'er Steven K. Smith, (whose Isaac Clarke build enspired me to get into this crazy cosplay world) for a couple of tips and tricks of the trade. Well, about 5 total hours and two blisters later, I have a very roughed out shape that I am happy with so far. Sadly, I won't be able to mess with it for another week. But I haven't posted an update in over a month, so here is what I've got.

Shredder painted and elastic added:
    [​IMG]

I started with a plaster cast of my dome. (Firefly marathon in the background)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I figured that I would make the glasses out of a sheet of styrene plastic and add them last.

But until next time.

George, JWMines and VilleLeskinen like this.
  48. JmanTurtleMan

JmanTurtleMan New Member

COWABUNGA! This is so awesome! That Krang sculpt looks amazing, and that shredder armor is so well done. Wish I could go to ECCC maybe one day we'll run into each other! Looking forward to seeing more posts and progress, keep it up!

JWKruser likes this.
  49. JWKruser

JWKruser Active Member

Thanks! I hope you can make the trip too! Some day I will travel to San Diego. If you don't make the trip here, maybe we have a run in down there!

50. JWKruser

JWKruser Active Member

Merry Christmas to all at the RPF! I have a quick question for anyone in the Seattle/Tacoma/Olympia, Washington area. I was finally going to buy my mold & casting materials for a Christmas present to myself. I consulted SKS Props asking what products he uses. He uses Smooth-On. I would love to use something that I know produces excellent results as his work is flawless. However, he has a local supplier. According to Smooth-On's distributor list, the nearest Smooth-On dealer is in Walla Walla (like an 8 hr drive from my house). Does anyone local to the Seattle/Tacoma/Olympia area know of a dealer near by? Or where do you buy your molding / casting supplies and what brand do you use? I need options before I drop $400 bucks on supplies and another $120 in shipping alone.