Kit scan sticky discussion thread

Re: Kit scan sticky

Wait a sec.... Seems I'm getting my ss's and ssm's mixed up. I am a member of jase's site. I think it was studio scale that was locked out. Just to let everyone know last night my scanner went on the fritz.... So I am going to photograph all my kits at 20 mp.

The StudioScaleModelers is awesome. I agree with Quincy, it is organized. But I like this post, too. It already helped me out. Some of these scans aren't over there so as long as peeps here are cool with it...then why not take them and post them over there, too (and give credit, of course). I remember hearing about Tait. Not sure if I dealt with him over the last 10 years....but judging from the stories I guess I would have known, huh. Jase runs it well, now, and is cool and helpful in my book! And, the threads Quincy started are unbelievably intuitive and helpful! They help focus and also makes you think outside of the box when needed.

Joe

Last edited:

studioscalemodelers - with an S. It's plural. That's the difference between the old and new sites. There's a story there somewhere, but not mine to tell...

And those are great kit threads Quincy. Nice job!

Updated the index. thanks to those guy's that have posted kit scans so far. we now have 18 kits up there. keep em coming. I'll have some more up today.

thanks....simon.

Last edited:

Does anyone have any objections to us providing a free tool such as these kit scans to this community? i mean should we only post reference pix in one place also? or is it a good thing to have multiple places for reference? i'm curious......

Does anyone have any objections to us providing a free tool such as these kit scans to this community? i mean should we only post reference pix in one place also? or is it a good thing to have multiple places for reference? i'm curious......

I don't think anybody is going have objections to you providing the kit scans to the community - it's a matter of HOW it is shared, imo.
Perhaps, it should be asked:
Would it be beneficial to pool all the community's kit scans into one location so the search for this resource isn't scattered over several sites?

We've got a pretty nice kit scan section at Resin Illuminati too. I say, the more of these, the better for everybody!

http://www.resinilluminati.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54

Our section isn't any way associated with any studio models directly, just the kit before it gets touched. Most I add, I also add the instructions and box art. If I can, I generally add box art from any of the various releases too.

Sometimes that helps!

Rob.

Last edited:

We've got a pretty nice kit scan section at Resin Illuminati too. I say, the more of these, the better for everybody!

Resin Illuminati

Our section isn't any way associated with any studio models directly, just the kit before it gets touched. Most I add, I also add the instructions and box art. If I can, I generally add box art from any of the various releases too.

Sometimes that helps!

Rob.

Rob,
you bring up a good point that I feared people may get a little confused.
SSM kits scans are here:
Forums - Kit scans
Its an "open" forum and organized by manufacturer, then subforums grouped into type of model (eg, armor, auto, etc), then finally by scale.
The three threads I keep bringing up are just simple tools to use those resources.

Rob, the actual scans over at SSM aren't "connected" to any film, per se, just organized in an (imo) intuitive manner and easy to access.

Sorry for the confusion.

Yes sir QC!

That's exactly how they are at RI! Some may not have anything to do with anything we've ever heard used, but we'll add ANY kit someone takes the time to scan. You never know!

RI is an "open" forum too. You would need to register, but that's (of course) totally free to EVERYONE.

I will admit, the OLD Studio Scale kit scans were set up in a great way. Each listed seperatley with a link to 1 - 2 - 3 pages of sprue. I have always wanted to fix ours at RI that way, but I haven't figured it out yet. One of our members "Shadowknight" DID straighten ours out really nice by category and links, but it doesn't work exactly like the old SS site, but we'll figure it out and we do have hundreds already.

I've ALWAYS thought kit scans were invaluable to a modeling site as a resource. It WILL help from buying kits you don't need guys. When it's the vintage, expensive kits we all want, this is the best reference there is!

Rob.

Kit Scan Lists

Kit scans are a great idea, but it would be nice to know:
-Where the kit is used?
-Which kits still need to be scanned?
-Which parts are the important parts to look for?

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back