Unlimited Run Jurassic Park Cryocan

Hello all. My current design is a decal which is added to the can. However, I am working with a supplier to see if I can get the cans printed directly on them.

Hello all. My current design is a decal which is added to the can. However, I am working with a supplier to see if I can get the cans printed directly on them.
If you're truly ambitious, you may be able to figure out who to talk to at Barbasol... I know they were going to make cans for Chronicle's run of Cryocans before they folded.

Dunno... if he's buying the cans from them...
Yeah, he would be buying the cans outright so he wouldn’t need to worry about licensing.

Now, if he attracts too much attention with this project, by contacting too many factories and making it seem like he is ramping up to make this a bigger business, he may draw enough attention to need to pay licensing to the studio that owns the Jurassic Park rights.

Did he say he was buying them outright from barbasol? He said he has vinyl labels. So I presumed he located vintage cans and slapped the labels on. Regardless, if he were to buy cans directly from barbasol, and they know he’s creating Cryocans, you better believe that barbasol would ask him for a purchase agreement spelling out what exactly he can do with the cans and he’d be paying an additional amount. Licensing is involved in anything you sell.
Moviefreak, you seem so certain of your stance. But I wouldn’t bet money on it. Their internal lawyers would never allow it otherwise.

Did he say he was buying them outright from barbasol? He said he has vinyl labels. So I presumed he located vintage cans and slapped the labels on. Regardless, if he were to buy cans directly from barbasol, and they know he’s creating Cryocans, you better believe that barbasol would ask him for a purchase agreement spelling out what exactly he can do with the cans and he’d be paying an additional amount. Licensing is involved in anything you sell.
Moviefreak, you seem so certain of your stance. But I wouldn’t bet money on it. Their internal lawyers would never allow it otherwise.
I think you are misunderstanding what I said. I was referring to his statement : “I am working with a supplier to see if I can get the cans printed directly on them”. Not from Barbasol. See post 24.

I was saying if he is buying from a supplier (again, not Barbasol), he won’t need to go to Barbasol for licensing. If he went and told them he was getting cans printed elsewhere, they would definitely have issues. But if he doesn’t say anything, only sells on a small run, he won’t be on their radar. That is what I was saying. Most people here stay below the radar, but if his run gets too big and attracts too much attention, it is the studio he would have an issue with, and most likely even Barbasol when they find him printing cans somewhere else. And yes, I am confident in my statement. I work in the collectibles industry and the company I work for holds almost 30 licenses from different film franchises. ;)

I think you are misunderstanding what I said. I was referring to his statement : “I am working with a supplier to see if I can get the cans printed directly on them”. Not from Barbasol. See post 24.

I was saying if he is buying from a supplier (again, not Barbasol), he won’t need to go to Barbasol for licensing. If he went and told them he was getting cans printed elsewhere, they would definitely have issues. But if he doesn’t say anything, only sells on a small run, he won’t be on their radar. That is what I was saying. Most people here stay below the radar, but if his run gets too big and attracts too much attention, it is the studio he would have an issue with, and most likely even Barbasol when they find him printing cans somewhere else. And yes, I am confident in my statement. I work in the collectibles industry and the company I work for holds almost 30 licenses from different film franchises. ;)
I wouldn’t say I misunderstood. You quoted Shpider, who was referencing Barbasol as the supplier. See post #28. So, rather your post was misleading. On the other hand, if you had quoted or referenced post 24, which you didn’t, then you would have provided the proper context to understand your point. And our arguments are flying past each other now that you changed the context to what you intended, but didn’t properly refer to.
But I can agree with you now that it’s not what you meant or intended. Everything you said about actually being on the radar of a large corporation for IP is common sense, and I agree with that.
But as a long time corporate lawyer, who’s seen these matters in play, I can stand by what I said any day of the week. And this isn’t contradicting what you intended to say. I’d put a smiley face but no idea how to.

But I think that’s enough of detracting from this beautiful run.

I’d like to apologize to DinoDino and see if he’ll allow me on this run.

Last edited:
Interesting debate, el toro and Moviefreak!
No l don’t think that it’s distracting to discuss issues like this.
The open exchange of ideas is one of the reasons for this site’s existence; especially when it’s about creating the best version of the prop replica as possible.
You both brought up some interesting points and revealed information that l wasn’t aware of before.
We all want this (obviously cuz everyone on the list is committed to the project til completion), but personally I would rather receive a unique “near perfect” cryocan than none at all because of legal intervention or copyright issues.
In the past, Corporate greed has reared its ugly head at this site before and squashed some very promising projects : (
However, a great compromise to those who feel the focus is being pulled away from the run would be to have such spirited debates elsewhere; such as creating a separate thread where further discussion can be pursued.
Cheers!

Hello everyone. It seems there has been a lively debate regarding the cans. I don't want to mislead anyone so please let me provide some more details. I currently have about 10 cans. These 10 are made from a glass cleaner can that has the same shape and is painted white. The cans are emptied cut shorter and a new label is put on over top the old one. Then the plastic dispenser from a can of shaving cream is put on it. But that process is tedious and requires wasting a can of glass cleaner and shaving cream. So in any sort of volume it just isnt practical.

I am currently working with several suppliers that already make aerosol cans to find one which will send me the empty cans already cut to length. I have about 6 different companies that are communicating with me. I am just trying to decide who can do it the best and with the least amount of work. This means finding the company that sells a product that is already very close. Several of these companies have offered to print directly on the cans since they already have that process. But I might end up having to buy a pretty high volume.

I would love to work with Barbasol and even the movie studio to get the license and their blessing. But so far my attempts to contact them have gone un answered.

Let's not hijack his project run with talks about other people making a better "ultimate" version of what he is proposing to sell here. I am sure all of us wouldn't want to have a project run here and then someone come in our thread and tell people, "hey... this other company will be doing this exact same thing, only better". It could be seen as driving potential sales away from him.

Hello All,

Over the past 2 years I have been on a quest for the most accurate Cryocan replica from the original Jurassic Park movie. It took a lot of work, but I believe I have got there. I just finished a pilot run of about 25 units which went to members of the Jurassic Park Motor Pool. I am planning my next run now and wanted to see if anyone on here would like one. If you are interested the work I did to get to this point you can find my other forum post documenting my progress and all the improvements I have made over the past two years.

View attachment 1564348

More Pictures
So here is are the details:
  • Machined 6061 Aluminum Microcentrifuge Holder
  • 10 Vials and labels Included
  • Working Spring Action
  • Domed Base
  • Fits inside Barbasol Can
  • Can Not Included!
Cost $200 +shipping and handling
Please reply or send me a PM saying that you want one and I will add your name to the sales list and send link for payment. $50 upfront to reserve your spot and the remained due when the part is ready to ship.

I have 10 screen accurate cans as well. $65 each. First come First serve. After these 10 are gone if there is enough interest I will source and make more cans. So please let me know if you would like a can as well even if you are not in the first 10.

If anyone has any questions please let me know.

Sales List
Lost in Trek w/ Can
2. strategicgfy w/ Can
3. tloeder
4. bpalaganas w/ Can
5. Mike76 w/ Can
6. JoeG w/ Can
7. Synz314 w/ Can
8. belloq can only
9. skahtul w/ can
10. amadeusw w/ can
11. carl w/ can
12. Fallen21 w/ can
13. AnubisGuard w/ can
14. juvatwad w/ can
15. shpider w/ 2 cans
16. Jay1138 w/ can
17. Harrison4257 can only
18. Funky w/ can
19. Funky w/ can
20. kurtyboy w/ can
21. Jediscum /w a label for their own can
22. jhusel
23. peter1701 w/ can
24 el toro

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back