Suggestion Junkyard: Buyers/Sellers Feedback?

Re: Let's start using Heatware to rate Junkyard sellers

With such a restricted registration this does not seem to be needed here (in my opinion) all three times I have been screwed over here it was by people WITH a good reputation here before then screwed everyone and hit the road. So it would not have helped. There are not a lot of unknown and folks are quick to call out anyone doing poor business (or good for that matter). I think it just falls to the seller to do a quick search of the person they are buying from and they will see what kind of reputation they have here.:thumbsup

With such a restricted registration this does not seem to be needed here (in my opinion) all three times I have been screwed over here it was by people WITH a good reputation here before then screwed everyone and hit the road. So it would not have helped. There are not a lot of unknown and folks are quick to call out anyone doing poor business (or good for that matter). I think it just falls to the seller to do a quick search of the person they are buying from and they will see what kind of reputation they have here.:thumbsup

Kind of a catch 22. If the access has been so restricted, the newer members might not
have a high post count or reputation established yet in the forums.

All of my initial transactions have all been by PM's due to the tight restrictions in the
JunkYard and not being allowed to post.

I'd rather have a seller rate a successful sale to me and help build a reputation and
not soley rely on post count as any indication.

As with your example above of being screwed over, wouldn't it be nice to have
something for us 'newbies' to check on sellers / past sellers so we don't screwed
down the road?

Just a thought.

As with your example above of being screwed over, wouldn't it be nice to have
something for us 'newbies' to check on sellers / past sellers so we don't screwed
down the road?

Just a thought.

Sometimes you can't guard against being screwed over, as many of the members who do so give no warning, and just run away with the cash.
Your best bet is to gain a rep and do your homework, i.e. look at ebay feedback and ask for forum references.
Also Jedirick's Tips at the top of the Junkyard forum should be required reading for all newbies.

I was just going to start a new post about this. Just had someone basically
say 'No' to selling to me because of a low post count.

Well I waited over 1 year to get 'LET' into the forums. I've purchased from
numerous well known names on the JunkYard but yet I have no way to
reference that to this seller.

He simply looks at my post count and considers me 'shady'. lol

I think a feedback seller/buyer system would be a great addition to the
JunkYard.

Well I didn't really consider you shady, like I said in my PM I was just being a jerk. :thumbsdown
I have had a couple bad experiences on eBay with low feedback bidders and maybe I am transferring my frustrations to other venues? Again my apologies.

I do agree that a feedback system would be useful.

Well I didn't really consider you shady, like I said in my PM I was just being a jerk. :thumbsdown
I have had a couple bad experiences on eBay with low feedback bidders and maybe I am transferring my frustrations to other venues? Again my apologies.

I do agree that a feedback system would be useful.

No worries, it brings up healthy discussion.

I've been here for a few months, not so new to the forum, but I have sold plenty of thing in other boards, and the reputation is one thing you can rely on. I foe one when I have a sell, by PM and up on the board I have place my phone # for people to call me if they have any questions. I think with a # it makes it easier for them to buy from you. On another note, I also give them the site that I have been active for years and they can go and see foe them selves the + feedback.

my .02
This is a great idea.

I don't sell much, but I would not like a rating system on my name where I have no control over myself.

not to delete bad feedback but being able to delete the entire history when the tax-men get snoopy on the net researching my selling and buying habit !

I was just going to start a new post about this. Just had someone basically
say 'No' to selling to me because of a low post count.

Well I waited over 1 year to get 'LET' into the forums. I've purchased from
numerous well known names on the JunkYard but yet I have no way to
reference that to this seller.

He simply looks at my post count and considers me 'shady'. lol

I think a feedback seller/buyer system would be a great addition to the
JunkYard.

One of the reasons that new members have to wait 90 days and have 20 posts to post in the JY is so that they can start developing a reputation here. Wait until you can legitimately buy\sell on the RPF, and you might find attitudes toward you change.

Kind of a catch 22. If the access has been so restricted, the newer members might not
have a high post count or reputation established yet in the forums.

All of my initial transactions have all been by PM's due to the tight restrictions in the
JunkYard and not being allowed to post.

I'd rather have a seller rate a successful sale to me and help build a reputation and
not soley rely on post count as any indication.

I don't think a "buyer" reputation is much help. a seller is not at risk with the sale, you the buyer are the one who has the potential to be screwed over and lose money so your reputation as a buyer does not mean anything.

As with your example above of being screwed over, wouldn't it be nice to have something for us 'newbies' to check on sellers / past sellers so we don't screwed down the road?

You already can, what I said before was all you have to do is run a search on the person you are buying from. The people that are doing bad business here (which are few and far between) are called out by the folks that have not received their items (not just in the JY but elsewhere) a search will tell you if you happen to be dealing with someone who is having trouble.
If you want a reputation you build one with quality posts and good transactions, it is not just a post number people look at, but the type of posts you make. If you are worried about getting screwed over listen to what others say and make smart transactions.
I just don't see a feedback system as needed or helpful in this situation - and that is after MANY transactions here.
but that is just my 2 cents - to each their own,

a dedicated thread to "experiences"

it's probably come up before but I would love to see a Yelp like review area for people we deal with.

We do a lot of 1 on 1 emailing, calling, shopping/trading with individuals and most are good and a few are bad. I'd love to browse from time to time and read up on any people or companies that I should think twice about working with. Most transactions go perfectly but there are a few bad apples out there. And sometimes these people out there just go unchecked and many people maybe not regulars in the community get suckered in. For me personally I was getting lined up to buy the T2 plasma rifle but that guy just disappeared but he then later pops up on Ebay and who knows where else. Before that Mart Tait and his endoskeleton and even before that a Stephen St. James and his take-the-money and run Predator suits. Maybe there is a place on RPF already for that I only glanced this morning for something like that.

thankx

Re: a dedicated thread to "experiences"

This has been suggested a number of times but is fairly controversial as some feel it "outs" those who are making unlicensed props available.. that could certainly be argued, but when it has been brought up in the past there have been many who get very uncomfortable...

Yes it has been bought up before so i created the forum in my signature called propsafe.
It's a forum for both buyers and sellers to leave positive or negative feedback on dealers and buyers and to list known recasters.

People in the past suggested making lists of bad sellers and recasters i felt a forum would be a better way as you don't get the full story with a list of names.

As Art says some feel uncomfortable with naming unlicensed producers so i ask if you have positive feedback to leave to ask the seller first.

Just click the banner :)

The biggest issue is that it creates a liability for a site, if any and I mean any of the information is not truthful or factually supported but is stated as factual then the site could be sued for libel or defamation of character as the publisher that is if they were informed previously to remove it... And that brings up the catch 22, if said individual says take my name off your site or else does the RPF or any other site want to risk the possibility of many $1000s of dollars in legal fees and possible civil judgments for potential libel or defamation of character?

The whole this site can't be held liable for the postings is only a valid defense until the site is notified of potential liability by the aggrieved party, after that notification the site is as much liable as the original poster...

It's a VERY fine line balance between Free Speech and libel/defamation of character, but regardless of the merits of such a lawsuit if you are sued you need to defend and at the Federal level that is $1000 just to answer the complaint...

I help my daughter collect Living Dead Dolls. On the Mezco site they have something similiar to The Junkyard and what they have is a feedback thread where a user gets a +1 or a -1 for a transaction. It's completely run by members and I think it keeps things honest and works fantastic.

I think something like that is sorely needed here.

I belong to a gun forum and thier for sale page has a sticky at the top called the good guy list. If you have a positive transaction with someone (buying or selling) you post their screen name. A quick search of that thread will tell you if someone is on the level. It doesn't out anyone as a bad seller. If the person you are dealing with isn't on the list you can take it with a grain of salt and do a little more research.

I help my daughter collect Living Dead Dolls. On the Mezco site they have something similiar to The Junkyard and what they have is a feedback thread where a user gets a +1 or a -1 for a transaction. It's completely run by members and I think it keeps things honest and works fantastic.

the difference there is that you are buying and selling a legit product, not an illegal, unlicensed one.

i've said this many times on many boards, but imo, when you are buying stuff off the gate of a truck in a dark alley, you can't really ask for references.

Hmmm... while I am generally not in agreement of having a rating system like is being asked for (and as DST has pointed out, propsafe is available for gauging the larger issues in the hobby) this might not be a completely bad idea.

Do you have a link?

I am not sure how this would be run, but I'd at least like to see how it is being handled on the site you mentioned.

Feedback for sellers and buyers

Kinda like the feedback on ebay. The buyer rates the seller and the seller rates the buyer.

Junkyard feedback

How about an area for people who do business in the Junkyard to rate a buyer/seller/trader? We have one on the other site I'm on and it works well, we've caught several bad traders ripping folks off with it.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back