Suggestion Junkyard: Buyers/Sellers Feedback?

Discussion in 'Site Support & News' started by amish, Nov 13, 2005.

1. amish

amish Sr Member

Hello,

I have a suggestion/discussion I wanted to bring up in regards to the junkyard.

Personally, I have sold a dozen or so things on the Junk Yard and from what I gather everything has gone through without any problem. However, each day I hear more and more of others being scammed and screwed around with from their dealings on the JY.

My question to the powers that be, is that since the JY is a RPF sanctioned area, why is there not a better control. Understandably, the RPF cannot control what people do, but why not keep a list of people that have messed up in their sales or buys on the Junk Yard? I understand that one person may have had a problem with a certain seller where 100's did not, but that does not mean that the one person does not have a valid complaint.

Similar to EBayÂ’s feedback system, do you not think it would be relevant to have a JY rating system? I am unsure of how this could be handled, but I thought it would be worth bringing up.

Thanks for listening.

Tom

2. rocketeer25

rocketeer25 Sr Member

Thanks for the suggestion, Tom.

While the buying and selling of items is allowed in the JY, members do so at their own risk. Having said that, there are quite a few "best practices" that should be followed to make transactions successful.

Here are a few tidbits from around the board:

From the Code of Conduct
    Here is an item from the "JY Help" section"

http://www.rpf.invisionzone.com/index.php?act=SR&f=11
    We've also have started a thread in the Announcements forum for those members who have had their JY access removed due to bad business practices.

3. amish

amish Sr Member

Hello everyone,

Since it is obvious that many transactions take place in the Junk Yard and the RPF is the "sponsor" of the Junk Yard, would it be a good idea to create a sub-forum where people could post feedback for buyers and sellers who operate in the Junk Yard?

I know many would greatly appreciate the opportunity to read about if someone is trustworthy or not. On many occasions I have passed up great deals because I either did not know the person selling, or thought they may have had a bad reputation.

In short, it would be nice to have an area where the community could discuss there transactions. If someone has something nice to say, they should say it, if they have something bad to say, this would be the place.

Also, I would suggest that the sub-forum be enabled so that topics donÂ’t fall off into the great black void after a certain amount of time.

If this is not an acceptable idea, please consider some type of feedback system for the Junk Yard. I am sure if there was such a sub-forum or system in place, some people could have saved thousands of dollars in deals gone bad.

Thanks for listening.

Tom

4. Jedirick

Jedirick Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I am certainly in favor of finding a way to encourage members with transaction problems to step forward much earlier. We've had to many situations where a seller starts out great and then goes sour to the tune of thousands of dollars stretching out over a one to two year period.

I sometimes think members are reluctant to come forward and admit they are being abused until a reality check spurred by anger and frustration, causes them to expose the wrongdoer. What everyone seems to find rather startling is once posted it is found out that they are far from alone. Some cases it seems the guy is selling the entire active membership the same line of BS one member at a time.

What ever develops it should be voluntary not mandatory. I also would like to see that it is a system requiring no administrative support or moderating other than seeing that feedback remains credible and reasonably civil.

5. Jedirick

I'm planning to have a phone conversation with one of our membership today about what members can do to better safeguard transactions. Also swaped a few Pm's with a couple others and some of the staff have made comments.

Out of suggestions made, I think the best way members may be able to encourage or contribute feedback is to include comments within the actual JY sale post. Posts would no longer be auto-deleted after X days, Someone wants to know about a guy who buys or sells, just do a JY post search on his board name.

The seller could invite comments and comment on buyer habits or the buyer could offer feedback about the transaction. Again I feel strongly that this must be voluntary and most importantly no member tries to use feedback as a tool for extortion. Seen enough of the "witholding feedback" crap on ebay thank you.

That way "we" don't have to set up a good guy/bad guy sub forum where one man's blemish is another man's gouge and some regard this as an open season on members who they may dislike regardless of performance.

6. amish

amish Sr Member

I think what you have above is a good idea, though I think it is a bad idea to do it in the JY. It will create a lot of bulk and can cause confusion by having old items bumped just for feedback given.

I still think it would be much easier to create a sub-forum to the JY for feedback or move the threads that have been sold to the feedback area.

Just a thought. Thanks for the support on the idea :)

7. Jedirick

No problem. Frankly the scammer affliction that plagues the hobby sucks. There are days when if a membership vote were taken, I'd vote to pull the plug on the whole forum just to stop providing a resource for bad dealers and recasters.

8. mikajedi

mikajedi Well-Known Member

Hello,

I agree with amish,
    I think that it is really important in this kind of forum
    to have a place where we can read the feedback from a seller or a buyer from the JY.
    I buy in the JY and sometimes I have to pass up because I don't trust a seller...

So it would be nice to realize this project of feedback.

May be it can be a special post , I mean something stuck in the JY

Thank You :)

9. misterfusion

misterfusion Sr Member

Much like ebay, I'd like an opportunity to post POSITIVE feedback, not just negative.

In fact, I think that with the 95% of good transactiosn that take place around here, it's important to have a forum to give kudos to those members who go out of their way to make sure to give us great products and great service.

Sure, I think it's important to weed out the bad apples, but one or two shady deals and they're usually outted, ostracized, crucified, villified and banned.

Steve

10. BOBATAFF

BOBATAFF Well-Known Member

i think this would also be a great idea about feedback

ive been doing props for a while over here in germany but im not well known on this board

and to get other peoples trust is quite a hard thing too do

with some good feedback this would make good sence

im all for it

jay

11. Jediwannabe

Jediwannabe Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I agree wholeheartedly. Feedback would be a welcome addition to the RPF. Also, what if there are RPF memebers that are using PayPal loopholes to their advantage.

I'd like to see a list of members who's transactions were mysteriously never completed due to items getting "lost in the mail". It is all too easy for someone to say they never received the item and a list of troubled transactions could point to fraud if someones name keeps poping up.

-Jediwannabe

12. pmrjulio

pmrjulio New Member

I agree.
    A feedback thread will be good.

13. Hootini

Hootini New Member

Feedback?

Greetings,
    Perhaps some of you know me from the fx saber forum. Just wondering if there is a feedback rating topic for Junkyard transactions. Thanks

14. Rylo

Rylo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Re: Feedback?

No but bandits don't last long on the RPF

Many of our propmakers have been here the better part of a decade.

Just look for the established guys or work to become one.

Good luck

15. Hootini

Hootini New Member

Re: Feedback?

Thanks Rylo,
    Just joined and already had 2 positive transactions. Just wanted to give recognition and thanks.

16. amish

amish Sr Member

Re: Can a Feedback Sub-forum be created?

Just thought I would whip this one out again :p

17. Yorpheus

Yorpheus Well-Known Member

Let's start using Heatware to rate Junkyard sellers

I think anyone buying and/or selling items in The Junkyard needs to start using this ratings system called Heatware: http://www.heatware.com/support_faq.php#1

It's totally free. If everyone got into the habit or practice of using this system each one of us could develop an eBay feedback-type profile we could refer to when buying or selling from or as prop dealers.

Here's an example of a typical profile:
    http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=8187

For a long time it's been in popular use by people selling computer hardware. But I see no reason why we couldn't use it for the buying and selling of props.

If you like the idea let's sticky something in The Junkyard telling people to start using it. :thumbsup

18. Yorpheus

Yorpheus Well-Known Member

19. Lumpy

Lumpy Active Member

Re: Let's start using Heatware to rate Junkyard sellers

I was just going to start a new post about this. Just had someone basically
    say 'No' to selling to me because of a low post count.

Well I waited over 1 year to get 'LET' into the forums. I've purchased from
    numerous well known names on the JunkYard but yet I have no way to
    reference that to this seller.

He simply looks at my post count and considers me 'shady'. lol

I think a feedback seller/buyer system would be a great addition to the
    JunkYard.

20. scarf man

scarf man Sr Member

So far the RPF has done pretty well with references from other forums and ebay feedback.
    Do you have an ebay account to reference for the member you want to buy from?
    We were all newbies once.

21. KnightAsylum

KnightAsylum Sr Member

With such a restricted registration this does not seem to be needed here (in my opinion) all three times I have been screwed over here it was by people WITH a good reputation here before then screwed everyone and hit the road. So it would not have helped. There are not a lot of unknown and folks are quick to call out anyone doing poor business (or good for that matter). I think it just falls to the seller to do a quick search of the person they are buying from and they will see what kind of reputation they have here.:thumbsup

22. Lumpy

Lumpy Active Member

Kind of a catch 22. If the access has been so restricted, the newer members might not
    have a high post count or reputation established yet in the forums.

All of my initial transactions have all been by PM's due to the tight restrictions in the
    JunkYard and not being allowed to post.

I'd rather have a seller rate a successful sale to me and help build a reputation and
    not soley rely on post count as any indication.

As with your example above of being screwed over, wouldn't it be nice to have
    something for us 'newbies' to check on sellers / past sellers so we don't screwed
    down the road?

Just a thought.

23. scarf man

scarf man Sr Member

Sometimes you can't guard against being screwed over, as many of the members who do so give no warning, and just run away with the cash.
    Your best bet is to gain a rep and do your homework, i.e. look at ebay feedback and ask for forum references.
    Also Jedirick's Tips at the top of the Junkyard forum should be required reading for all newbies.

24. Mola Rob

Mola Rob Sr Member

Well I didn't really consider you shady, like I said in my PM I was just being a jerk. :thumbsdown
    I have had a couple bad experiences on eBay with low feedback bidders and maybe I am transferring my frustrations to other venues? Again my apologies.

I do agree that a feedback system would be useful.

25. Lumpy

Lumpy Active Member

No worries, it brings up healthy discussion.

26. tk1389

tk1389 New Member

I've been here for a few months, not so new to the forum, but I have sold plenty of thing in other boards, and the reputation is one thing you can rely on. I foe one when I have a sell, by PM and up on the board I have place my phone # for people to call me if they have any questions. I think with a # it makes it easier for them to buy from you. On another note, I also give them the site that I have been active for years and they can go and see foe them selves the + feedback.

my .02
    This is a great idea.

27. xeno

xeno Well-Known Member

I don't sell much, but I would not like a rating system on my name where I have no control over myself.

not to delete bad feedback but being able to delete the entire history when the tax-men get snoopy on the net researching my selling and buying habit !

28. rocketeer25

rocketeer25 Sr Member

One of the reasons that new members have to wait 90 days and have 20 posts to post in the JY is so that they can start developing a reputation here. Wait until you can legitimately buy\sell on the RPF, and you might find attitudes toward you change.

29. KnightAsylum

KnightAsylum Sr Member

I don't think a "buyer" reputation is much help. a seller is not at risk with the sale, you the buyer are the one who has the potential to be screwed over and lose money so your reputation as a buyer does not mean anything.

You already can, what I said before was all you have to do is run a search on the person you are buying from. The people that are doing bad business here (which are few and far between) are called out by the folks that have not received their items (not just in the JY but elsewhere) a search will tell you if you happen to be dealing with someone who is having trouble.
    If you want a reputation you build one with quality posts and good transactions, it is not just a post number people look at, but the type of posts you make. If you are worried about getting screwed over listen to what others say and make smart transactions.
    I just don't see a feedback system as needed or helpful in this situation - and that is after MANY transactions here.
    but that is just my 2 cents - to each their own,

30. scarf man

scarf man Sr Member

^ Agreed.

31. T2SF

T2SF Well-Known Member

a dedicated thread to "experiences"

it's probably come up before but I would love to see a Yelp like review area for people we deal with.

We do a lot of 1 on 1 emailing, calling, shopping/trading with individuals and most are good and a few are bad. I'd love to browse from time to time and read up on any people or companies that I should think twice about working with. Most transactions go perfectly but there are a few bad apples out there. And sometimes these people out there just go unchecked and many people maybe not regulars in the community get suckered in. For me personally I was getting lined up to buy the T2 plasma rifle but that guy just disappeared but he then later pops up on Ebay and who knows where else. Before that Mart Tait and his endoskeleton and even before that a Stephen St. James and his take-the-money and run Predator suits. Maybe there is a place on RPF already for that I only glanced this morning for something like that.

thankx

32. Art Andrews

Art Andrews Community Owner Community Staff

Re: a dedicated thread to "experiences"

This has been suggested a number of times but is fairly controversial as some feel it "outs" those who are making unlicensed props available.. that could certainly be argued, but when it has been brought up in the past there have been many who get very uncomfortable...

33. defstartrooper

defstartrooper Sr Member

Yes it has been bought up before so i created the forum in my signature called propsafe.
    It's a forum for both buyers and sellers to leave positive or negative feedback on dealers and buyers and to list known recasters.

People in the past suggested making lists of bad sellers and recasters i felt a forum would be a better way as you don't get the full story with a list of names.

As Art says some feel uncomfortable with naming unlicensed producers so i ask if you have positive feedback to leave to ask the seller first.

Just click the banner :)

34. exoray

exoray Master Member

The biggest issue is that it creates a liability for a site, if any and I mean any of the information is not truthful or factually supported but is stated as factual then the site could be sued for libel or defamation of character as the publisher that is if they were informed previously to remove it... And that brings up the catch 22, if said individual says take my name off your site or else does the RPF or any other site want to risk the possibility of many $1000s of dollars in legal fees and possible civil judgments for potential libel or defamation of character?

The whole this site can't be held liable for the postings is only a valid defense until the site is notified of potential liability by the aggrieved party, after that notification the site is as much liable as the original poster...

It's a VERY fine line balance between Free Speech and libel/defamation of character, but regardless of the merits of such a lawsuit if you are sued you need to defend and at the Federal level that is $1000 just to answer the complaint...

35. etrigan69

etrigan69 Member

I help my daughter collect Living Dead Dolls. On the Mezco site they have something similiar to The Junkyard and what they have is a feedback thread where a user gets a +1 or a -1 for a transaction. It's completely run by members and I think it keeps things honest and works fantastic.

I think something like that is sorely needed here.

36. Russ257

Russ257 Sr Member

I belong to a gun forum and thier for sale page has a sticky at the top called the good guy list. If you have a positive transaction with someone (buying or selling) you post their screen name. A quick search of that thread will tell you if someone is on the level. It doesn't out anyone as a bad seller. If the person you are dealing with isn't on the list you can take it with a grain of salt and do a little more research.

37. stormtrooperguy

stormtrooperguy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

the difference there is that you are buying and selling a legit product, not an illegal, unlicensed one.

i've said this many times on many boards, but imo, when you are buying stuff off the gate of a truck in a dark alley, you can't really ask for references.

38. Art Andrews

Art Andrews Community Owner Community Staff

Hmmm... while I am generally not in agreement of having a rating system like is being asked for (and as DST has pointed out, propsafe is available for gauging the larger issues in the hobby) this might not be a completely bad idea.

Do you have a link?

I am not sure how this would be run, but I'd at least like to see how it is being handled on the site you mentioned.

39. Frank

Frank Active Member

Feedback for sellers and buyers

Kinda like the feedback on ebay. The buyer rates the seller and the seller rates the buyer.

40. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

Junkyard feedback

How about an area for people who do business in the Junkyard to rate a buyer/seller/trader? We have one on the other site I'm on and it works well, we've caught several bad traders ripping folks off with it.

41. WarPig

WarPig Sr Member

Sorry to bump this yet again, but may I add my opinion?

I think all we need is a "sticky" of some sort in the JY, and a general rule that only generic posts be made. On the lines of "I bought a helmet from Gemini Kahn. He was great, and so is the helmet". Or "Just did a deal with Stark1138. Shipped fast, very cool, thanks Bro!".

This type of forum is used on a guitar board that I'm on - basically it lets everyone know that a transaction went well or not so well. Very rarely does someone have a problem, and when they do, it becomes a thread (like the MasterLe thread here). Most "negative" posts are on the order of "Hey - I just bought a guitar from MetalMan. It's a great axe, bro, but you forgot to mention the trem was busted." So now I know that if I deal with MetalMan, I'd better ask a few questions, or take my chances.

You could give it a try; if it doesn't work, delete it. If it does, it shuts up all of us that are yammering for some kind of feedback.

Seriously: I've made a number of purchases since I joined. Everyone I've dealt with has been great - and I'd like to let the community know that!

Thanks for your time.

42. Rylo

If you could figure out a way to rate the buyer/seller without mentioning the merchandise that's one thing, but I can't think of many propmakers who want a running, on-line registry of everything they've sold on the RPF.

Some of you forget that there are full-time builders/propmakers, here. Not many of us want a running ledger of our transactions. You may want to think this through a little bit, otherwise; you might as well call it, "Exhibit A, B, etc."

As for a sticky?? Who's going to moderate it? The mods are busy as-is. That's a whole new nightmare, managing opinion!

I think the RPF has done fine policing itself over the last decade. People know exactly who the good and bad guys are. Goons simply do not last here.

I don't mind saying I have a problem with people who have been here all of 10 minutes suggesting just about anything new. I mean, *. You don't even know what we like the thermostat set at yet and you're already moving the furniture.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  43. WarPig

WarPig Sr Member

Apologies. Yes, I've only been here three months. I'm not trying to change anything, just made a suggestion that I thought may be useful, using a thread that others started so I didn't create a new useless one. I will try and be more careful in the future before posting.

44. Rylo

Hey, you're entitled to your opinion. I'm just suggesting trying the place out first.

45. ONEYE

ONEYE Sr Member

Is there a general feedback thread?

I've been in contact with some really cool people who have helped me acquire items for my collection, or just gave me super advice to fix, repair or rebuild props/replicas.

Just a thread where we can say things like, "excellent to deal with", "outstanding service", "provided super advice and assistance", etc.

That way we could click on the thread and know who to go to for problems/advice, or who is good to go to deal with.

Deal with a new person, just make another post describing in general how they helped.

What do you think?

46. Finhead

Finhead Sr Member

Re: Is there a general feedback thread?

I agree this would be a great Idea. I'd really like to give proper feedback for the great people I've dealt with on the forum. :thumbsup

47. Invicta

Invicta Sr Member

Re: Is there a general feedback thread?

This is something I'd like to see as I've had dealings with many of the members here via the JY. A formal place to leave some feedback would be great.

Mods & Staff when you get a chance please give this some serious consideration. :)

Thanks,
    Malc.

48. Klwl

Klwl Well-Known Member

I concur a place to give praise or not so praise would be beneficial to most. And help out the average Joe in who to deal with or steer clear of....

49. Xander

Xander New Member

Junkyard Feedback

Hi guys :)

I think a member have already ask this but it could be a good idea to make a feedback thread or function for the Junkyard.

In a forum where i am since 2005 we have that:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If a member is not serious his feedback show it :)

It's just an idea guys :love

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  50. Mr. K

Mr. K Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Re: Junkyard Feedback

Looks like a good idea to me. I wonder how hard it would be to put it into practice.