Josh's Captain America Shield

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by OhYeahItsJosh, Nov 15, 2011.

1. OhYeahItsJosh

OhYeahItsJosh Member

Hey guys,

I'm brand new to these forums and I'm finally starting on a project I've been wanting to do for quite some time. I'm going to make Captain America's shield! I don't know how popular of an item that is to make on here but I'm a huge Cap fan and I think it'll look great up on my wall.

Now I've already got someone machining me a shield, however, I'm torn between the dimensions of the rings and the star. The shield itself is going to be 26" in diameter and 1/8" thick. It's the rings that I'm concerned about. I'm trying to get it as close as possible to the shield in the movie. I understand that they used roughly 30 shields but I'm trying to get it as close as this one:[​IMG]

I found three different and popular dimensions and drew them up in Google SketchUp just to get a comparison. I drew these up in less than 5 minutes and I understand that the stars look a little funky but I'm sure you get the idea. :)

[​IMG]
    20'' , 14'' and 8''

[​IMG]
    20.5", 15" and 9.5"

[​IMG]
    20.66", 15.33" and 10"

[​IMG]
    And a comparison of all three.
    8" 10"

9.5"

Personally I'm leaning towards the 9.5" one. It seems to be the happy medium of the two but the reason I'm posting here is because I'd love to get the opinion of others who are more experienced than I am. Any and all tips are welcome!

I'll keep posting my progress on here as I work on it.

Thanks!

2. OhYeahItsJosh

OhYeahItsJosh Member

Any help?

3. RMH2012

RMH2012 New Member

Hi Josh,
    don't want to burst your creative bubble and if you are still determined go for it! But you might want to look up Chris Fields Captain America shield on here because Chris has made some leaps and bounds in re-creating the shield from the movie! So if you just want to get into buying one of his or you are even more eager to do your own, I'm sure looking at his thread you will get some great tips on how to make one! Under-carriage, strap support and all.
    Chris's shields are pretty dead-on to the films and his current Nov run promises to be his most accurate to date.

4. Chris Fields

Chris Fields Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Thanks RMH :)

Josh, for a 26" diameter I'd go with the 10" inner circle.

5. CousinDave

CousinDave Member

I agree with RMH and Chris.... use 10" for a 26" diameter. Thats how I made mine and it turned out ok. Then just divide the remaining length for the rings.

6. Maulfett

Maulfett Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I ordered my shield 9.5". I want it between, because probably 10" it can be too big or 8" can be too small hey....who knows, so i went almost in the middle 9.5"

7. OhYeahItsJosh

OhYeahItsJosh Member

I'm still not sure. Your current November run Chris, you're doing a 10" diameter right?

8. Chris Fields

Nope, my shields are not 26" diameter, they are slightly over 25" diameter, but the proportions would put the star at just about 10" if it was 26" diameter.

9. OhYeahItsJosh

OhYeahItsJosh Member

Any chance you could give me specific details?

10. OhYeahItsJosh

OhYeahItsJosh Member

Update!

So after the holidays and deciding what to do for my shield I'm finally able to start working on it.

Before I begin any update though, I want to thank Valor and Chris Fields for their advice, help, and guidance throughout this project. I won't lie, I'm really new to making props so this is foreign territory for me. Thanks again for your help! :D

Anyway on to the update.

After picking a shield size, ring diameter, and star size, I finally have all the components I need to start my build. Here's a picture of what I'm working with.

[​IMG]

The shield was bought off of eBay from a machining shop down in Miami and the star was bought from Valor (Thanks again!). I decided to go with a 26" shield and a 10" star. I also decided to go with the Duplicolor Anodizing Paint Red and Blue (or I could just keep it blank because...* doesn't it look nice?). This week I'll begin taping off the inner circle and white ring and I'll lay down the red.

I was a bit concerned about the weather since I live in Pittsburgh and we get TONS of snow. Fortunately, I'm lucky enough to work at a steel plant that has a large well-insulated hangar and they have given me permission to paint it there.

Concerning the brackets/handles on the back, I'm trying to get as close to the movie's handles as possible but I might alter it a bit. I want to be able to sling the shield over my shoulders and on my back but I'm not sure if the handle design from the movies allows for that. So I'm trying to think of a way to incorporate both. If anyone has any ideas or has a design that works that way, please let me know!

More to come this week when I begin painting!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  11. Finhead

Finhead Sr Member

Good call on the 10" center looks like a great start.

12. Chris Fields

looking great, the dimensions you pick look spot on. I would suggest Mother's Alumium polish to bring that star up to the same polish as the rest of the shield. then acetone any left over polish off and clear coat it to lock in the polish. As for the handle, take a look over at my thread again, I have an option that keeps the movie style and allows you to through it over one shoulder. That was a must for me, as I wear the shield on my back quite often when running around conventions or charity events and such. :) Keep up the great work.

13. Valor

Valor Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The star's already clear-coated. Shouldn't need to do this. Yu can use some polishing compound to shine up the clear coat.

14. Chris Fields

ah, it has a much duller luster than the rest of the shield, i probably just oxidized a bit more than the rest of the shield has. He may want to strip it down repolish it, and then recoat it, but it's up to him. I will not be as noticeable when it's painted.

15. coofunkcurly

coofunkcurly Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Fantastic start. Looking forward to seeing what you do with the handles.

16. OhYeahItsJosh

OhYeahItsJosh Member

Thanks! I was torn between the 9.5" and the 10" star, but after looking at it, the 10" looks accurate.

I did look at your thread for the handle and I like what you've done but I'd like to have it over both shoulders. Luckily, I work with a lot of talented engineers!

17. Chris Fields

I don't think you'll get a way to put it over both shoulders with out significantly changing the look, or taking a lot of time to adjust straps and such.

18. galmando

galmando Member

How do they imply how he puts it on his back in the movie?

I undertand they used different shields and one them used magnets to attach it, at least that's what i remember reading somewhere

but is this also the in-film 'explanation'? (so to speak) He seems to just put it on his back and let go, no straps pretending top be pulled or even visible.

in which case it would seem the prop designers knew it was going to be unfeasable or at least very difficult and time consuming to have it strap on the back

should be interesting to see what you come up with!

19. Chris Fields

The black belt appear to be the magnetic shield strap... at least thats how i took it. But nope, it was never described in the film. I like my single shoulder strap though, works well :)

20. Valor

My two cents on the prop designers "intent" is this:

It seems like the the four bolts that hold the harness down (in pink on this picture) were somehow supposed to be "quick-release". This would allow the leather system to accomodate your arms once they were disconnected.

Attached is a rough concept of how it might look. He could pull it off his back and snap the clasps back down for carrying ion his arm or throwing.

This is the only thing that makes sense out of the extra leather that runs out to the edges of the shield and the pivots that the leather attaches to along the rim.

Of course we never saw this in the movie.

Other opinions may vary :)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  21. OhYeahItsJosh

OhYeahItsJosh Member

You're probably right but I figure I'd rather be able to sling it over my shoulder than not at all. If I have to take time and adjust it, then that's no biggie.

For the moment, I'm more concerned with painting the shield. While it's drying and settling in, I will try and think of something for the straps.

Here's a small update:

I went to a couple stores last night to get a few supplies like the acetone, 10 gauge aluminum sheet, and other painting supplies. When I mentioned what I was building, I was told that I would need to use primer after I cleaned the shield off with acetone. Has anyone used primer on their shields? I don't recall reading that in anyone else's build. More so, do I need to use primer with the Duplicolor Anodizing Paint?

Anyway I saw a couple different kinds of acetone: one from TSP, another brand called Goof Off (it's a spot remover and de-greaser) and a acetone from Klean-Strip. Has anyone had any luck with any of these or recommends one over the other?

22. Kevin Gossett

Kevin Gossett Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

No primer. That will cover up not only the spun finish, but also the aluminum ring that won't get painted

23. Chris Fields

I thought this exact same thing, I even tried it... but it didn't work out so well. I tried using the strongest quick connects I could, but they weren't strong enough to hold the handle back in position. There is probably a way to do it that is strong enough though... then I realized, even if the snaps worked, the straps wouldn't fit on the shoulders right, especially since the two sides are not symmetrical. I agree that was probably their intent. I also think they were trying to give him more places to grab the shield when it's coming back to him, but then they never used it on film.

24. Chris Fields

exactly what Kevin said.

25. OhYeahItsJosh

OhYeahItsJosh Member

Help. Spots on shield

Hey guys, small update here but I'm in need of some help.

After a Super Bowl party and a week of being sick, I'm finally starting on the shield. I went out and bought Klean Strip Acetone, some cotton rags and latex gloves so I could clean the shield off.

I was starting to clean the shield off and I noticed there were some spots and areas that were not coming off. Hell, even some finger prints would not come off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm not sure what to do at this point. I'm new to this, any advice would be appreciated. I'm not sure where those spots came from.

Any tips on what I should do?

26. staticweb23

staticweb23 Active Member

I used a product to clean and strip my shield down three times and it worked perfectly. The product is called Citristrip (Paint Stripper after Wash) found at Lowes in the paint section for like 8 dollars. Let me know if that doesn't help. It cleaned the shield and put a protective coat on the shield and was after 30 mins the shield is ready for taping and painting.

Staticweb23

27. OhYeahItsJosh

OhYeahItsJosh Member

Thanks man, I actually got it all cleared around. I went to a buddy of mine who works at a dealership and they were nice enough to give me some pretty strong stuff to help clear it off. I did use some rubbing compound that they gave me though and that worked really really well. Along with some 38-12 (it's similar to acetone).

Here's another small update. After cleaning the shield like a madman, I got everything taped up and I should be ready to put on the first coat of blue paint.

[​IMG]

It's pretty cold outside so I won't be able to paint until I have access to the hangar at work. So I won't be able to put anything on until Sunday or Monday. Either way, I'll send pictures and let you all know how it turns out!

28. drakeprimeone

drakeprimeone Well-Known Member

Re: Update!

Great progress so far makes me excited when I start mine! Currently awaiting the star from Valor :thumbsup

I'll be closely following your thread and hope all turns out well!

29. OhYeahItsJosh

OhYeahItsJosh Member

Here's the first set of painting done.

[​IMG]

I really like the look of the blue. I'm worried it might be a bit too dark but then again we'll see how it all looks with the red. If I don't like it, I can always remove the paint and start over :). I'm just excited to finally get some color on this bad boy.

I'm going to let it sit for a couple days and then I'll tape up the blue and work on the red rings.

More to come later!

30. OhYeahItsJosh

OhYeahItsJosh Member

Today I wanted to finish painting the shield. So I stripped off the the painter's tape and began working on the red. Here's a photo of my progress.

[​IMG]

After about 3 hours of letting it dry I peeled off all the tape because I was excited to see what it would look like. And just to see for a perspective I put the star from Valor down on top to see what it would look like entirely.

[​IMG]

I think it looks really really good and I can't wait for it to be done. However, I ran into a couple problems and I screwed up. While I was taking off the painter's tape I accidentally scratched off some of the blue paint. I tried to fix it with a Q-tip but it didn't work so well.

[​IMG]

Additionally, I might have been a bit too close with the red spray can today. I think it can be sanded down but I'll take any suggestions on what I can do to fix this.

[​IMG]

I'm more concerned about the scratches on the blue. The Q-tip worked on some parts but not that area. Any help?

31. J Scorn

J Scorn Sr Member

hello, ive been following your progress, and i can see you have hit the same problem i did when i first got into spray painting, from my understanding of the shield and its colours, its pretty perfect so touch ups will show up as it has, (nasty shame) unless anyone else has a better idea you may have to start again, HOWEVER on your next go, instead of using tape try using a mask called wax masking of liquid mask some call it. it makes a better edge between the colours ... when u spray the surface the paint slightly gets under the tinist amout of tape and cracks, this doesnt happen with the wax. also a little tip when spraying, spray completely off the shield then right across to the other side and off the edge to avoid 'spotting'.

best of luck

32. drakeprimeone

I was wondering if it would be easier spray on the clear coat as you do each ring as opposed to doing the entire shield after painting. If it isn't necessary to clear coat the shield in one shot then I am guessing this method would prevent the masking tape from pulling up any paint.

33. drakeprimeone

Josh I also noticed your star looks significantly brighter compared to your earlier pic with the unpainted shield. Did you do anything to it?

34. thenextavenger

thenextavenger New Member

Looks amazing!

35. OhYeahItsJosh

OhYeahItsJosh Member

Yeah I'm probably going to have to start again. I'm not too happy about it but I want this to come out perfect. Thanks for the help!

I actually didn't do a thing to it. The earlier picture had really bad lighting. Also to answer your other question, the tape didn't pull up any paint; the exacto knife that I used to cut the tape off did. That was my own dumb mistake.

36. Valor

Hey Josh, Here's what I would do ... Strip the paint and begin again. It's not a big deal. Pick up a can of acetone. Wipe it on and work it around with a SUPER soft cotton T-shirt. You can pick up Citrus-based paint strippers at the hardware store too. But they get messy fast.

When you repaint, remember: Several THIN coats.

It'll look great next time:)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  37. Chris Fields

Sorry man, i can see the pics here at work. Are you hosting them from facebook? Judging from what Valor mentioned, I'd probably say the same thing. I'll double check when I get home later.

38. neon2102

neon2102 New Member

Very impressive for your first prop. I've never built one, but from your pics it looks very promising. Once you get the paint fixed up it'll look fantastic.

39. Deacon

Deacon Active Member

There are certain sections of mine inside the groove that are painted or not painted, I hate it because the paint job came out perfect everywhere else, you dont see the inconsistencies until you get up close. Wondering if I should just scrap it out to make it look even, I really dont want to strip her down again (did it 3 x already). Your shield looks great, keep it goin.

40. Deacon

Deacon Active Member

Are you sealing this with an acrylic paint?

41. OhYeahItsJosh

OhYeahItsJosh Member

Thanks man. I'm not sure how to get the grooves just right either, it's actually kind of frustrating. I don't know what I'm going to seal it with yet actually. With the weather being good this week and next, I'm going to hopefully finish this shield within the next two weeks.

42. OhYeahItsJosh

OhYeahItsJosh Member

Here's a bit of an update. I haven't had time to work on the shield for a while now simply because I've been looking at new jobs and interviewing like crazy. But things have slowed down and now I'm able to work on it. Hopefully I can get it done before the Avengers movie in May.

Due to some of the errors I made when I was painting, I had to strip the shield and start over.

[​IMG]

Thankfully the paint came off easier than I hoped. So tonight I'll try and get the scratches out with some rubbing compound and hopefully have it ready to paint for tomorrow.

43. OhYeahItsJosh

OhYeahItsJosh Member

On a side note, my hands are all red and blue from the paint and it looks like I punched Uncle Sam. :wacko

44. OhYeahItsJosh

OhYeahItsJosh Member

Need help! Can't remove this scratch!

Hey guys, I'm going to start painting tonight but last night I ran into a bit of a problem.

I was cleaning the shield off and getting rid of all the dirt and dust on the shield. Additionally I was trying to get rid of all the scratches on my shield but for the life of me, I can't get rid of this one scratch/problem area. I tried a rubbing compound that worked fairly well for me before but it had very little to no effect. I'll post pictures of the problem.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I promise it's a lot worse than it appears. I apologize for the crappy quality but my camera isn't very good. I'll try and retake them tonight if I can. Anyway I'm open for suggestions on how to get rid of this. I don't expect my shield to be perfect but that's just a glaring problem. Thanks!

45. Valor

I actually built a rig to gently scuff and sand the face of the shield. Picture a piece of thin aluminum about 1" wide and as long as the radius of the shield. I drilled a hole on one end, inserted a nut and bolt through and loosely secured it in place. Should look like a long hand of a clock coming off the center of your shield. Oh, and wrap that piece of aluminum in masking tape to not further scratch your shield. Now, take a scuff pad, like you buy at the hardware store to remove paint and wrap it once around your metal bar and use it to rotate around the shield and gently scuff out the scratch. Make sure to hold tight so that the scuffing you're doing is perfectly in line with the spun pattern of the shield.

You could use a hi-grit sandpaper, but I don't think you need to be that aggessive.

46. OhYeahItsJosh

OhYeahItsJosh Member

I think in this particular instance the risk vs reward is too high. I can TRY to get the scratch out but I'm not sure if it would work without ruining the finish. So I think I'm just going to have live with it :(. Hopefully the clear coat will at least hide it (according to another individual who I asked to help me with it). If I really don't like it, I can always battle damage the shield.

Anyway, last night I put the blue paint on for the second (and hopefully last) time. I think it looks a hell of a lot more even than the first one. Sunday I plan on putting on the red coat of paint, so I'll give an update then!

[​IMG]

47. OhYeahItsJosh

OhYeahItsJosh Member

Here's the prep for the red paint.

[​IMG]

And here's the result after painting.

[​IMG]

Several things I did different here:
    Instead of painting along the rings I just painted the whole thing. However, each coat I painted from a different side and only painted half of it each time. This time it came out a lot more even. And as per Valor's suggestion, I ditched the painter's tape and used Masking tape. Everything came out a lot better.

I should note that I'm in no way shape or form great at this. I'm used to working with lumber and a lot of my inspiration came from Valor's work.

48. OhYeahItsJosh

OhYeahItsJosh Member

And here's everything assembled together (yes pun intended).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I know the lighting is different but just looking at my first attempt compared to my second attempt, the latter is definitely better. Everything looks better.

This week I should have brackets from Valor coming in as well as getting the clear coat applied.

If anyone's interested in buying the brackets from Valor, here's the link to his sale. He's really great to work with.

http://www.therpf.com/f13/captain-america-movie-shield-bracket-systems-second-145954/

49. Valor

Looks great! You're almost there :)

50. OhYeahItsJosh

OhYeahItsJosh Member

Thanks man!