John Hammond Cane Made Out of Bone - Jurassic Park

how did you go about it?

It's really not easy to describe how I do it. It's a two part mold and it's a real bug. I use a poly resin with an amber dye. I personally like using resin with the drop activator over the equal part mix or a mix you have to get exact. If you have questions I can try and answer them.

I love it! The organic color and texture variations on this are killer. If you ask me, you've surpassed the original! I am 100% in favor of doing an artistic interpretation of the actual physical prop--especially if that makes it feel more like a real, believable object as opposed to a prop.

I almost have this completely together and started permanently assembling it. But then I got to the very last segment and that last piece was bugging me. I tried to work with it to make it right and couldn't. So I have to turn one more piece but of course I was out of antler large enough so I have to order one more. I was probably being way to anal about it, but it would have bugged me too much knowing I compromised on it when I didn't have to. Anyway, this should be done next week sometime and then I'll post more pics and maybe even a video to get up close to the texture of it. I f'ing love this cane. My favorite project I've worked on by far.

That's the amber I'm going with on this cane. All polished up and ready for the top. I found a chunk of antler that was just the right size I need to finish up the cane too. So it's just about ready. It's drying right now. But I'll have pics of the finished cane later today.

I'm securing each segment to the rod with epoxy. I was a little worried about it because of how porous the center of the antler is but it seems to be perfectly secure and very strong. I think if I were to don't again (or if someone wanted advice on how to secure the antler together) I'd use jbweld instead. The reason is because it's way more tacky and bonds super quick. It's much thicker than a 2-part epoxy glue. Being a grey color might even add an effect between the segments if some beads between. But no biggie. I used a quick drying epoxy and it seemed to have worked just fine. I'll stress test it some later and see how drops go.

More pics to come...

Attachments

• IMG_20190525_150746~2.jpg
    IMG_20190525_150746~2.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_20190525_150736~2.jpg
    IMG_20190525_150736~2.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 99
All done. Polished the cane and amber. Added the last piece at the bottom and the rubber foot. Made the length 34 1/2" because that is the length I am comfortable with and since I plan on making this my con cane I wanted it to be just right.

IMG_20190526_122431~2.jpg
IMG_20190526_122549~2.jpg
IMG_20190526_122557~2.jpg
IMG_20190526_122520~3.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't weather this at all. Any color variations are the natural bone colors. The darker parts are the inner bone and the ivory parts are the second layer. The brown in some spots is the first layer the antler. I did seal the entire thing though. So it is a little shinier than it is naturally but not too much. I wanted it to be as natural as possible but I also felt like I needed to seal it to make it last forever. Once you get past the ivory layer of the bone it does start to become somewhat brittle.

I'd also say this is heavier than my wood version. I don't have an exact weight but I plan on using a shipping scale soon. I wouldn't say it's heavy at all, but the metal rod in the center definitely added some weight. I like the weight though. It feels comfortable and supportive.

Anyway, that's it. All done with this one. If anyone wants to turn one of there own I'd be more than happy to help. On to the next project!

Very cool! It's going to be interesting to see how natural weatherin affects the material in the cane, My guess is't going to take patina amazingly well!
Each segment has a seal layer of CA glue on it. I didn't add too much, just enough to seal the bone. Since bone is porous I wanted to make sure it wouldn't be susceptible to too much natural weathering. But I didn't use too much CA because I also didn't want it to be overly glossy. The natural look was what I was going for.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back