John Hammond Cane Made Out of Bone - Jurassic Park

awol007

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So, the original Hammond cane is supposed to be Dino bone segments (vertebrae I think). I like trying to make realistic versions of props. So I wanted to try and make a the cane out of the material it was supposed to me. I didn't have any Dino bone lying around unfortunately so I thought about using antlers instead. I've turned antlers for a pen once so I thought I'd give it a try. The problem was finding antler that have a diameter thick enough. I needed pieces at least 1 1/4" in diameter. I decided to try Elk antler so I found a shop that sells "found" antler (this just means that it probably didn't die from a hunter). It was an excellent size. I knew deer wasn't going to be thick enough. So, I ordered a bunch of antler and trimmed them down to the size of the segments.

TvHtfEmm.jpg

Then I turned them to a rough diameter so I could work with them

iILtsgEm.jpg

I also laid them out in an order that I thought might work. This was kind of tricky (and this order didn't actually hold up) but I wanted to make sure there was a enough at very least.

XMnJVGIm.jpg

After this is was turning and more turning. Bone is a pain in the ass to work with (at least I think it is). It murders your tools. It took me a long time to make these segments (and I'm still not done).

I drilled a hole down each segment for a steal rod to pass though (except the top. the top just has a hold halfway through it). Here is the top and a couple of segments turned and together.

6BXKyNTm.jpg
Rau64oIm.jpg

Honestly, my personal opinion is that it looks badass. lol. You'll notice I left some of the "bark" from the antler on the piece. I did that on purpose. I think it not only adds character but it also provides a cool weathering effect. These are not done yet. I'm still going to smooth and polish them some.

Here are all the pieces together.

EwJbgAam.jpg

I think it looks awesome and I'm glad I started this. I'm not going to weather it at all. I love the natural look of it and bone provides it's own weathering I think.
Here is a link to larger pics if you want to see more detail:
Next steps:
  • smooth/polish each segments
  • Sand down any imperfections in the joints between each segment
  • attach them securely to the rod
  • add a foot
  • add the egg on the top
Love to hear your thoughts.

Outstanding! I'm a lover of props made from real materials even if it sacrifices accuracy in sculpt, etc. This is a fantastic example! Bravo.

Looks great! It adds that touch of realism. My personal problem working with antler is the smell. I think it smells like burning hair when you are cutting or turning it. Makes the shop smell for days!

My personal problem working with antler is the smell. I think it smells like burning hair when you are cutting or turning it. Makes the shop smell for days!

I don't disagree with this but I've found that if you go slow while turning you don't notice it at all. I think it's when it heats up that you begin to detect the smell. But honestly while doing these I didn't notice it at all except when I chopped them up on the bandsaw.

I will say that antlers dull the crap out of my tools though.

I almost have this done. I'm polishing up the bone to make it smooth. Once you hit the porous inner section of the antler it become very rough. So I'm sanding each segment with high grade sand paper and using CA glue to fill and protect it. It's looking pretty sweet. Should have more pics in the next couple of days. I have amber ready for it too :)

Great start. I think too many folks are concerned only about the look of a prop, while in my mind a true replica should be as good or even better than the original movie prop intended.

I think too many folks are concerned only about the look of a prop, while in my mind a true replica should be as good or even better than the original movie prop intended.

I personally agree with this but maybe there are two different things:
1. Completely accurate to the original
2. Made to the spirit intended by the story.

So, the original prop in the case has a story behind it (bug in amber has dna to clone a dino and the cane is made from dino bones). The original prop was a resin cast and a single piece. But the story has it as segments (vertebrae i think). So, this antler example is made more to the story and not the prop (although I'm trying to make it look like the prop too). But it's cool if someone says, "yeah, neat idea but the real thing is resin".

I've found in my years that A LOT of movie props are really bad when it comes right down to it. They are hacky and just crap the production crew had lying around. Star Wars is obviously the best example of this. But that hacky prop is also awesome. I mean they took a camera and turned it into one of the coolest, most iconic, thing ever. I think the in case of a light saber I'd rather have Graflex parts than a machine replica of them even though the machined parts might be better quality and have other purposes.

IDK, I like making "real" stuff. I wanted Deadshots AR from Suicide Squad so I made an actual AR. I think it's way better to have that over an airsoft replica. But in this case, I'm flat out loving this cane. I wish it wasn't such a bitch to make because I'd sell a few, but I doubt I'll go down that road. The cost of the antler and time it takes me make it, it probably wouldn't be worth it. But I look at this thing as I'm finishing it and it really is badass. If anyone wants to try one on their own let me know. I've learned a couple things making this one that might be helpful to you.

Couple of pics of the top with an egg in it. I'm not sure if this is the egg I'm going to use yet, although I do like it. I need to still polish some of the scratches out of the egg but the top is ready to accept an egg now.
IMG_20190522_213723~2.jpg
IMG_20190522_213706~2.jpg

Last edited:
Kind of a funny story with this build:

So, I had it loosely fitted together on a rod last night and it was just leaning against the wall and my dog came in and could not take her eyes off of it. That was when I realized I made a dog treat cane. She wanted to gnaw on it so bad. I had to put it up. Maybe I'll give her a piece I messed up on later. :)

But a word of caution: If you're working with bones or antlers your dogs are going to destroy it if you give them a chance :)

I've make the cane and sell it. I also make a John Hammond gear shifter, a John Hammond wine bottle stopper and John Hammond pepper grinder.

I make them in three different sizes. I've also added different bugs like the scorpion below.

Couple examples:
il_fullxfull.1509940602_qqbl.jpg
IMG_20190209_104539.jpg
1550627450857291.jpg

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back