Joe Johnston-Concept Escape Pod Build-STAR WARS Sketchbook

dockbay94

thought you might like see what a black/white sketch come to life might or could look like- my interpretation of course.

IMG_4642.jpg

the only two sketches and both are a bit different as well.

IMG_4761.jpg
IMG_4762.jpg

A big thanks to Rossi Replicas for making the basis of the kit come to life, and mix of plans and resin 3D print. not sure what scale it is? this was a fun build and given only the two black and white drawings of the life pod I took it upon myself to take advantage of my imagination and think about what color, markings, insignia's, weathering, etc. I added some flashing beacon light on the top, side -white,red,yellow and a white flickering LED for the main landing thruster. custom built stand ( mix-mash of crap from around the workshop). so, let's dive into it shall we

I started with sand the main body to get rid of the print lines and sadly loss some of the detail in the process but still looks good. adding a whole new custom main thruster on the bottom with styrene t-track and a vector thruster from extra parts from my SS escape pod (still not done)

IMG_4651.jpg

IMG_4657.jpg

IMG_4658.jpg

and three greeblies as in the drawing. later I cut them shorter as they were to long.

IMG_4675.jpg

next was pulling out my boxes of parts, grebblies, junk to add more details as I could without being too busy. also added styrene rod, panels. brass rod to slip the FO in two sections with three holes each.

IMG_4653.jpg
IMG_4678.jpg
IMG_4677.jpg
IMG_4662.jpg
IMG_4661.jpg
IMG_4660.jpg

more detail for the top and side and putting the legs/feet on.

IMG_4680.jpg
IMG_4679.jpg
IMG_4663.jpg
IMG_4691.jpg
IMG_4689.jpg

test fit

IMG_4701.jpg

next black prime and base coat (vallejo light gull grey)

IMG_4703.jpg

IMG_4713.jpg

next was light weathering, markings - mix of paint and decals, hash marks.

IMG_4732.jpg
IMG_4731.jpg
IMG_4730.jpg
IMG_4729.jpg
IMG_4728.jpg
IMG_4727.jpg
IMG_4726.jpg

Nice work. I don't think anyone as every done this particular model before.

TazMan2000
thanks, Rob said he only printed a couple and built them for himself. he said I am probably the only one with it and it's a one of a kind. It's a nice kit and great to add to my collection.

That's great! Between your project and one or two others that I've seen basing physical models on Joe's Sketchbook I'm going to have to have a go at a few of these some day.

Nice work!

Dan

You know what's funny? Just last week my dad pulled out his first-print JJ Sketchbook and asked if I wanted it. It was just on his bedroom shelf all these years. I couldn't say "YES!" fast enough!

SB

You know what's funny? Just last week my dad pulled out his first-print JJ Sketchbook and asked if I wanted it. It was just on his bedroom shelf all these years. I couldn't say "YES!" fast enough!

SB
I've had mine since it was released as a kid. as you can tell by the pics it has been well loved and cherished, just the proper amount of aging!

Perfectly on-point! Could have been if not for the KFC they had in the shop that day long ago...
;^)
Thanks for sharing!

Regards, Robert

As a sidebar (and not to take over this thread, sorry), but the photo of the Johnston book put me down a rabbit hole, and I eventually found the 21 print MacQuarrie ANH portfolio on eBay. I had it back when ANH came out (gift from a family friend when I was probably 8 or 9), but was lost to the sands of time. I've always regretted not holding onto it, so having again is like reclaiming a part of my childhood. SO....even though you never intended that outcome for your posts, THANK YOU. :)

As a sidebar (and not to take over this thread, sorry), but the photo of the Johnston book put me down a rabbit hole, and I eventually found the 21 print MacQuarrie ANH portfolio on eBay. I had it back when ANH came out (gift from a family friend when I was probably 8 or 9), but was lost to the sands of time. I've always regretted not holding onto it, so having again is like reclaiming a part of my childhood. SO....even though you never intended that outcome for your posts, THANK YOU. :)

being 52 years old and having star wars change my whole perspective on being a kid at nine years old it's all I knew and grew up with. I am fortunate to have kept all my original material from my younger days. although worn and we'll used it adds to all the memories of that age. of course replacing things from your childhood is rewarding but having the original item is always best because it was the same book, toy, etc. you had as a kid. I do cherish my collection of books, art, and I have lots! poster magazines, the old iron on transfer book, sketchbooks. fun to show my kids how important it is to hold on to what you love as a child! so much rewarding in your older years.

IMG_4768.jpgIMG_4767.jpg

thank you Sir!

Last edited:
I suppose like all 'paradigms' that have a Universe to build on, the choice of subjects can be never ending... even though it was a concept from the movie 'crew', it still can have a back story such as being a different type of escape pod made by the same builder as the 'canon' one seen in the film. Feeding the creativty fiend daily!
Regards, Robert

Must congratulate you on bringing a two page sketch to life. A credit to the fertile mind of a great artist through your craftsmanship which is clearly no small skill. I have to model this if one lives long enough to finish another of Johnston’s model designs now started. The landing gear shock strut concept alone cries out for reproduction.

I really have got to stop lurking on this web. Thought I could build good models after years attention to the hobby. Quite humbling model magazines were at one time. But this computer site is full of addicted professionals that go above and beyond.

Again great subject. I may need to bug you one day if you created any plans.
Searun

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back