Jim Henson's Labyrinth - My Collection (Dec 2023 Update: Red Goblin Rider Helmet)

statler_waldorf.jpg

Statler : 'I've told you . . . I have seen that posted website before!'
Waldorf : 'I must have been globe-trotting to have missed it then!'

Chaïm

Thanks for going on a hunt for me! Hilarious to see you have a pretty decent match for the globe right next to you. I think that's definitely a pretty close match, if I ever get a bigger space (AKA, more room for props) I might pick one up for myself. Also I can definitely see Sarah having some C.S. Lewis books in her collection! It's too bad we don't have higher resolution photos of the set, I bet there was a lot of care taken to dress Sarah's bedroom according to her personality and we have no idea because we can only make out so many details.

And yup I have a copy of Outside Over There! Fun fact but Maurice Sendak actually gets a mention in the Labyrinth credits as partial inspiration for the story. I think an adaptation of Outside Over There would be pretty cute, but it probably would get accused of copying Labyrinth by people who don't realise it predates Labyrinth by a good few years.

Thanks for trying to track down her wallpaper! I've actually tried to do that in the past but as you can see I struck out. I keep meaning to see if there's some expert in 1980s wallpaper designs somewhere out there on the web who might be able to recognize the pattern. I know there's folks that do that for antique wallpapers, I'm just not 100% sure if there's enough interest in 80s wallpapers for someone to do the same.

As for Sarah's lipstick I have not found a good dupe for that! I've got a random old stick that I use on my shelf but it's not a good match. I should check out eBay to see if anyone's listed anything closer, maybe once my bank account recovers after buying all these books ha ha.

With our successes hunting down Sarah's books I felt inspired to redo an older project of mine, Hoggle's bookend! The first time I made this guy was using some very blurry screenshots and Sculpey clay, and he served me well for a good few years but an upgrade is definitely in order. In the years since then better photos of the Hoggle figure have popped up thanks to the the Propstore Auctions, so that's what I based my new Hoggle off of.

Was originally gonna try for max accuracy, but eventually that fizzled out because the Propstore listing doesn't have a good profile view (And to be honest I just knew that if I tried for perfection I'd probably just burn myself out anyways, so I just went for "looks similar enough that the average person won't question it").
20230629_161211.jpg

Sculpted my new Hoggle in Blender, printed on my Elegoo Mars 2 Pro. I'm still a bit of a 3D printing newbie so my peg system didn't quite work out (I didn't account for light bleed/needing to make the pegs smaller than their corresponding holes), so I'm having to do a bit of finessing to try and get things to fit better.

20230702_092302.jpg
20230702_092315.jpg

In hindsight I wish I tried adding a texture to the sculpt itself to match the listing photos more, but my old laptop felt like it was gonna burst into flames the more detail I added to this sculpt so I didn't want to push it by trying to add a displacement map. I think I'm gonna try and add some texture using modelling paste and see what look that gets me. If nothing else it's definitely gonna be a big improvement over my first Hoggle.

20230702_100647.jpg

Still got a good amount of work to do before I reveal the final bookend, but I was pretty pumped with how Hoggle turned out so I wanted to show him off. This is my first major 3D printing project so I'm pretty proud that I managed to make this guy, inaccuracies and all.

With our successes hunting down Sarah's books I felt inspired to redo an older project of mine, Hoggle's bookend! The first time I made this guy was using some very blurry screenshots and Sculpey clay, and he served me well for a good few years but an upgrade is definitely in order. In the years since then better photos of the Hoggle figure have popped up thanks to the the Propstore Auctions, so that's what I based my new Hoggle off of.

Was originally gonna try for max accuracy, but eventually that fizzled out because the Propstore listing doesn't have a good profile view (And to be honest I just knew that if I tried for perfection I'd probably just burn myself out anyways, so I just went for "looks similar enough that the average person won't question it").
View attachment 1715372

Sculpted my new Hoggle in Blender, printed on my Elegoo Mars 2 Pro. I'm still a bit of a 3D printing newbie so my peg system didn't quite work out (I didn't account for light bleed/needing to make the pegs smaller than their corresponding holes), so I'm having to do a bit of finessing to try and get things to fit better.

View attachment 1715371View attachment 1715373

In hindsight I wish I tried adding a texture to the sculpt itself to match the listing photos more, but my old laptop felt like it was gonna burst into flames the more detail I added to this sculpt so I didn't want to push it by trying to add a displacement map. I think I'm gonna try and add some texture using modelling paste and see what look that gets me. If nothing else it's definitely gonna be a big improvement over my first Hoggle.

View attachment 1715377

Still got a good amount of work to do before I reveal the final bookend, but I was pretty pumped with how Hoggle turned out so I wanted to show him off. This is my first major 3D printing project so I'm pretty proud that I managed to make this guy, inaccuracies and all.
Wow. A newbie? It’s incredible! I would be proud to display one of those in my office. Great job!!!!

Wow. A newbie? It’s incredible! I would be proud to display one of those in my office. Great job!!!!
Thank you! I've had my printer since September of last year, I've primarily just used it for printing existing models I found on Thingiverse so this is the first project where I've printed a highly detailed sculpt that I also personally modelled.

I did previously model the music box and the little obelisks for my wooden Labyrinth game, but the original music box pieces I had printed by Shapeways and both they and the obelisks are such simple shapes I don't really feel like they tested my skills at all. I actually modelled those ones in Sketchup, because of how simple they were! Since getting my 3D printer I've seen been teaching myself Blender and it was a bit of a confusing mess at first but I think I'm getting the hang of it! I'd like to redo my Jareth statue one day as well, Hoggle was a good warm up for that.

Funnily enough but after posting I realised that maybe my Hoggle is a tad undersized? He's accurate to the prop store listing's dimensions but sizing him up against the books I have, feels like he's coming up a bit short. I've got more of Sarah's book collection ordered so once those come in I'll try and do a better assessment of his size, if nothing else might just mean I need to reprint him slightly bigger (Love that about 3D printing! One of the reasons why I was so jazzed to give it a go, no more agonizing over a mistake because you can just reprint and try it again).

Thank you! I've had my printer since September of last year, I've primarily just used it for printing existing models I found on Thingiverse so this is the first project where I've printed a highly detailed sculpt that I also personally modelled.

I did previously model the music box and the little obelisks for my wooden Labyrinth game, but the original music box pieces I had printed by Shapeways and both they and the obelisks are such simple shapes I don't really feel like they tested my skills at all. I actually modelled those ones in Sketchup, because of how simple they were! Since getting my 3D printer I've seen been teaching myself Blender and it was a bit of a confusing mess at first but I think I'm getting the hang of it! I'd like to redo my Jareth statue one day as well, Hoggle was a good warm up for that.

Funnily enough but after posting I realised that maybe my Hoggle is a tad undersized? He's accurate to the prop store listing's dimensions but sizing him up against the books I have, feels like he's coming up a bit short. I've got more of Sarah's book collection ordered so once those come in I'll try and do a better assessment of his size, if nothing else might just mean I need to reprint him slightly bigger (Love that about 3D printing! One of the reasons why I was so jazzed to give it a go, no more agonizing over a mistake because you can just reprint and try it again).
That is great. Keep up the great work.

Mail me one of your trash prints… compensation for helping you track down books. :lol:

I kid, of course. ;)

What other books? Did you manage to track down more?
I've ordered a copy of the second Alice in Wonderland book, and I think I've also tracked down a copy of Through the Looking Glass with the slipcover! The TTLG book is coming from Amazon so it was just a stock photo for the 1984 edition, but the ISBN matched up and the seller confirmed that it has the slipcover, so I'm really hoping it's the correct one.

I've ordered a copy of the second Alice in Wonderland book, and I think I've also tracked down a copy of Through the Looking Glass with the slipcover! The TTLG book is coming from Amazon so it was just a stock photo for the 1984 edition, but the ISBN matched up and the seller confirmed that it has the slipcover, so I'm really hoping it's the correct one.
I saw that one on Amazon when I was tracking the edition down, but I was hesitant to show you as it was just a stock photo. Too bad the seller couldn’t have emailed you a photo to confirm.

I saw that one on Amazon when I was tracking the edition down, but I was hesitant to show you as it was just a stock photo. Too bad the seller couldn’t have emailed you a photo to confirm.
Ha, well that's totally on me, stupidly it didn't even cross my mind to request a photo from the seller. It wasn't until the book shipped that I realised that if the seller was able to confirm they had the slipcover that I probably could've (And should've) confirmed that it matched the stock image, definitely just got too excited when I found an active listing that matched! I did find another site selling copies but I'm hoping that this is the correct edition as it was a fair bit cheaper.

Great job on Hoogle! Thanks for sharing your progress and I look forward to seeing how you finish him up.
Thanks! I'm still debating reprinting him larger so progress has halted a bit while I'm mulling over another potential 20-25 hours of printing. According to the Propstore listing Hoggle should be about 6.5 inches high, which is what I printed him out at. However based on the photo of Hoggle against the books (The one we've all been staring at the last few weeks) it seems like my original Hoggle which measures at around 7.5 inches is a better fit.

hogglesize.png

20230703_195352.jpg
20230703_195536.jpg

I feel fairly confident in saying that 6.5 inches doesn't seem like the right height after all, but then I'm curious why that's the height listed on propstore. This is where I have to admit that I don't think the prop store listing was actually the screen used prop, primarily because as far as I know the Jim Henson company has the original one in their archives. They showed off the prop in a video with Tough Pigs a few years back, where you could see the figure was still attached to the book end (Not to mention it seems to be a fairly uniform brown colour and not the different shades/black base and boots in the listing).

hoggletoughpigs1.jpg

I figured that the propstore listing was a copy of the figure on the Hoggle bookend, but then why the size difference? The Tough Pigs video does show that the stand that Hoggle is on has a fairly thick base, so that accounts for some of the height, but even after adding a bit of height to my book end (in the second pic with the new print) it still feels like it's coming up a bit short.

I think you are correct about the size being closer to 7.5 inches. Also, the screen cap with your measurements makes it appear that Hoggle is canted a bit to his right rather than facing straight from the book end. Perhaps an optical illusion, but I noticed the difference in profile between the screen cap and your comparison photo.

I think you are correct about the size being closer to 7.5 inches. Also, the screen cap with your measurements makes it appear that Hoggle is canted a bit to his right rather than facing straight from the book end. Perhaps an optical illusion, but I noticed the difference in profile between the screen cap and your comparison photo.

Ha I was partly hoping I would get convinced that 6.5 was somehow the right size after all, but it does seem like I'm gonna have to give printing another go. For the best probably, I think the difference in height will be extremely noticeable since the books provide such an easy frame of reference. I've got some vacation time coming up so might as well use that to get everything printed out again

IMG_9766_combined.jpg

Happy to announce that the collection is complete! I am so pumped to share the fruits of our collective labours, here's all of Sarah's books reunited once again!

Huge shout-out to everyone who contributed to identifying all of the above books. I had started trying to track these down years ago and gave up pretty soon after, so it blows my mind to see them all together.

The only book we were waiting on to identify was the Brother's Grimm one, which turned out to be this particular softcover edition. I ended up having to wait extra long for this one, because despite the initial eBay listing saying that I bought the softcover they ended up sending me a hardcover instead. So I had to track down a different seller and confirm they were actually sending me the softcover version, which finally arrived up here in Canada a short while ago.

IMG_9635_sm.png

Also for fun, I ended up adding these two books to my collection. These don't appear in with the main group of books on Sarah's desk, but she does have them in the room (Though the Fungus book is only visible in a behind the scenes shot, to the best of my recollection anyways).

IMG_0294_sm.jpg
IMG_9638_sm.jpg

1692326617351.png

Also happy to show off my completed Hoggle bookend! Pretty happy with how he turned out, while he's not 100% accurate to the bookend in the film it at least feels like he could be, y'know? So much better than my original bookend anyways, this new bookend makes the original one I made look like a kids arts and crafts project.
IMG_0109_sm.jpg
IMG_0177_sm.jpg
IMG_0277_sm.jpg
IMG_0247_sm.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0277_sm.jpg
    IMG_0277_sm.jpg
    826.1 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0109_sm.jpg
    IMG_0109_sm.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 33
View attachment 1729852

Happy to announce that the collection is complete! I am so pumped to share the fruits of our collective labours, here's all of Sarah's books reunited once again!

Huge shout-out to everyone who contributed to identifying all of the above books. I had started trying to track these down years ago and gave up pretty soon after, so it blows my mind to see them all together.

The only book we were waiting on to identify was the Brother's Grimm one, which turned out to be this particular softcover edition. I ended up having to wait extra long for this one, because despite the initial eBay listing saying that I bought the softcover they ended up sending me a hardcover instead. So I had to track down a different seller and confirm they were actually sending me the softcover version, which finally arrived up here in Canada a short while ago.

View attachment 1729853

Also for fun, I ended up adding these two books to my collection. These don't appear in with the main group of books on Sarah's desk, but she does have them in the room (Though the Fungus book is only visible in a behind the scenes shot, to the best of my recollection anyways).

View attachment 1729855View attachment 1729854
View attachment 1729856

Also happy to show off my completed Hoggle bookend! Pretty happy with how he turned out, while he's not 100% accurate to the bookend in the film it at least feels like he could be, y'know? So much better than my original bookend anyways, this new bookend makes the original one I made look like a kids arts and crafts project.
View attachment 1729863View attachment 1729859View attachment 1729860View attachment 1729862
Great job!!! Glad I could help in identifying some of those.

The Hoggle is fantastic. Are you thinking of offering a run of those?

Great job!!! Glad I could help in identifying some of those.

The Hoggle is fantastic. Are you thinking of offering a run of those?

Thank you! I don't have plans to do a run at the moment, but I already know that in the future I would like to make molds of all the Hoggle pieces so I can duplicate him without having to do 30-ish hours of printing each time. Once I do that (After I save up for the silicon/figure out the ideal way to set up the molds) I should be able to revisit the idea of doing a run of him. Not sure if/when exactly that might be, but if a run goes ahead I'll definitely make sure the folks who helped track down books get first dibs!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back