JFcustom's FOAM files

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by JFcustom, May 24, 2012.

1. Mr.Spider

Mr.Spider Well-Known Member

Re: Speed-building files'n'tricks : 4 days FOAM Iron Men.

This thread is awesome, Can't wait to see the Ultimate Iron man files.

2. Genises

Genises Active Member

Quick question JF could you explain how you know where to do 45 degree cuts and in which direction they should be in, cause ive cut out all of robostealths mark 4/6 files on paper and i want to start cutting my foam...

3. 7sinzz

7sinzz Well-Known Member

Looking forward to seeing your updates :)

4. JFcustom

JFcustom Sr Member

Cut all your foam parts first with no particular angle, some quite right angles would go well, and then, only while assembling, you can adjust inclination edge after edge.

[​IMG]

5. Genises

Genises Active Member

aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh that's a perfect explanation, thank you :)

6. miroku000

miroku000 New Member

Thanks so much for putting this together. I'm going to try to build the Mark VII costume in time for Dragoncon. But, since this is the first time I have build something like this, I have a few questions.

1. Why are there two different versions of the back? Which one do you think is easier to build?

2. Is the thigh the right thigh (or the left thigh)? Do I have to turn all the pattern pieces upside down to make the opposite one? Same question for the shin.

3. On the other hand, the upper forearm looks symetric. So, can I just build 2 of these? Or do I have to flip the pattern over? Which parts do I have to flip over?

4. What thickness of foam do you use? The same stuff you used here? (6.5 mm PE foam) Do you think it is ok to use 2 or 3 mm foam? Because, I am not sure if I can get the right foam easily here.

7. miroku000

miroku000 New Member

I have another question. When you tape the paper together, there is a border of 0.5" or so on the edge of the paper. Do you cut off this edge before taping the papers together? Or, do you just tape the papers together naturally and ignore that stuff isn't printed on that part?

8. JFcustom

JFcustom Sr Member

1- Back 05 is a one-piece built, back 06 is the version with separate flaps. I think you'll save time when making the first one.
    2- it's the right leg. Yes you'll have to invert all of your pattern pieces.
    3- It's true, arms looks symetric. Even so, in doubt, and since you still have to build a couple of them, you may want to invert pattern however. It costs nothing.
    4- I always use 6.5mm, because of its fexibility, and its price ! Using 2 or 3mm, why not ? After all pepakura is basicaly designed for building with paper.
    5- Sheets of paper have to overlap one another (or must be cut), in order to avoid blank margins. I usually cut of top and left margins of all sheets, and tape each one above right and bottom margins of the previous neighbour sheets.

9. miroku000

miroku000 New Member

Thanks so much for your quick response.

It looks like I will have to modify the pepakura files slightly because I am printing on Letter sized paper rather than A4. Well, unless I can find some A4 sized card stock at office depot or something.

I'm so excited to get started. But, I am still pretty concerned that I am not going to be able to do it, since I am not very crafty. But, I am going to give it a try. I think I will start with the Cod piece. Because if I get that done, but don't have time to complete everything else, I can wear that to the Anything But Clothes party. :)

10. Dancin_Fool

Dancin_Fool Well-Known Member

I just wanted to add that if you save the scraps from when you're cutting the angles you can use those scraps as spacers for when there's dips/crevices in the model that aren't there in the foam templates. I also used them to add size around some of the pieces that weren't quite big enough due to missing parts in the conversion to foam process.

CyberPaddy66 likes this.
  11. AsgardAssassin

AsgardAssassin Active Member

JF you da man!
    Im very slow at this but I have built a full arm so far will take some photos to share with you!
    Thank you for all the sharing you do to help us with our builds!

12. JFcustom

JFcustom Sr Member

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  13. itsaplane

itsaplane Member

I used 2mm and 3mm foam, def not as stable so fabric back it for stability and to make it stiffer!

14. miroku000

miroku000 New Member

Re: FOAM speed-building files'n'tricks : added Iron Man ULTIMATE v2.

Since I have "Letter" paper and not "A4", I believe that I can just go into the file->print paper and settings menu and change it to letter. Then, I can drag the parts around a little to save paper. I think this is the right way to do it.

But, if I just open the model and go to print it, it gives me a warning that the paper size of the model and the paper size of the printer don't match and asks if I want to resize it. I am guessing that this would be a "bad thing" and would make the parts the wrong size. Am I right about this?

15. JFcustom

JFcustom Sr Member

Yes, you're all right. It does not take a long time at all.

16. ironmaided

ironmaided Sr Member

finally ultimate ironman files! :D

17. JFcustom

JFcustom Sr Member

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  18. bak9799

bak9799 Well-Known Member

Re: FOAM speed-building files'n'tricks : added War Machine.

thank you!!!!!

19. animefan

animefan Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

your the best man thanks for all these

20. electraflier

electraflier Well-Known Member

Thanks! What an incredible gift to the RPF Iron Man /War Machine Fans and builders!:cool
    You rock!
    M

21. 7sinzz

7sinzz Well-Known Member

Thank you dude!!! You are AWESOME!!!!!!!

22. Han Polo

Han Polo New Member

Noooo! Speed Building foam edits released after I've completed all my WM parts but the Gatling! Just kidding, great work with this JF. I tried your soda bottle pivot trick, but I used cheap water bottles, and they crinkled and melted when I tried to glue them in :(. Now I'm using heavy duty snaps from the craft store. $.50 a snap, and they're much thinner than bottle tops. Plus if you over stress them, they release instead of tearing the foam. Love your arc tip too. Thanks again for this great thread.

23. JFcustom

JFcustom Sr Member

Thank you for your kind words :D

I had a doubt about the Extremis scaling, so I built the halmet as a check test.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

It's very skiny, in fact it fits me as close as a sock. I must increase scale factor up to 11 or 12 and check again.

24. electraflier

electraflier Well-Known Member

Wow! You are awesome. Those are some incredible seams and straight lines... master in the making there!
    M

25. propnoob74

propnoob74 Well-Known Member

Oh my freaking lord!!! You are a master, what kind of foam is that? Amazing! just Amazing...

26. propnoob74

propnoob74 Well-Known Member

Crap!!! I'm looking at my war machine stuff I already made in cardstock, then I look here, and wonder, why didn't I wait a couple of weeks until you finished your files? :facepalm :behave

27. mizuno hadouken

mizuno hadouken Well-Known Member

Wow... so many files. Any chance you'll be modding Dancin Fools MkIII?

28. JFcustom

JFcustom Sr Member

Foam comes from "Domyos fitness TG 100" polyethylen (PE) mats. I bought as much rolls as I could carry at once from Décathlon's checkout to the back of my car.

I first have to unfold the IM Classical Armour, from our well known EyeOfSAuron's thread, then I'll unfold this Mark III. And I'll build one too, with MkII painting.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  29. MorbidCharlie

MorbidCharlie Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Re: FOAM speed-building files'n'tricks : added Guyver and War Machine.

JFCustom, you've given me hope. I was about to call it quits last night on my whole project, but I'm going to give your methods a go. I'm working on the Mark III, so I'm anxiously waiting for your unfold. :D

30. mizuno hadouken

Awesome! Can't wait to see your armors.

31. Dancin_Fool

Awesome!! Looking forward to seeing what you do with my models :D. Feel free to use my foam templates as a starting base
    http://www.therpf.com/f24/dancinfool-iron-man-mark-3-pepakura-foam-150333/

Or you can find the final version of my original pep files here.
    IronManMk3_Final.zip - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

CyberPaddy66 likes this.
  32. JFcustom

JFcustom Sr Member

Thank you Dancin_Fool, I appreciate a lot :)
    In fact I've already converted back the entire suit to *.obj file, since thinking "foam" means getting rid of a plenty of useless meshes that are normaly kept for paper-peping, and adding many others to flatten any detail that can be implemented afterward.
    Also will your model know some minor edits to fit foam speed-building.
    Be sure I'll be civilized and respectful whith him, it's painless he won't be hurt.

33. JacinB

JacinB New Member

Is your site down? I'm having trouble pulling the files.

34. JFcustom

JFcustom Sr Member

A clue : when my host is down, my pics are not displayed neigher.

35. JacinB

JacinB New Member

Gotcha. I'm behind a firewall at work so I just figured that was the reason the pictures weren't showing up (most don't, if they're hosted on a site like flickr, tumblr, or photobucket).

I'll check back later. :)

36. fender90

fender90 New Member

Hello JF! I just looked at your post and decided to star building my own very first foam costume - people tell me I do look a bit like Tony Stark, so why not have an armor to show off, too? :)

Thanks for modifying those files and all your tips, they are awesome!

Keep up the good work ;)

37. chucuan11

chucuan11 New Member

nice work how much time take to you to build all costume?

38. MedX

MedX New Member

awesome stuff JF makes the foam building process so much simpler however I have found that with the larger pieces I am having more waste foam.
    I am currently building a mkVI but have also started an Ultimate build using your modded files. http://www.therpf.com/f24/ultimate-iron-man-foam-build-wip-154691/

39. JFcustom

JFcustom Sr Member

Be sure I would love having built them all... Currently I can't even find time enough to unfold.

Tonight I'll upload the mkIII package, from Dancin_Fool's model, and before the end of august I'll share a partial Iron Woman, and the classical IM comic version. That's all I can do presently. Real life takes so much time.

It's true that my templates style leaves a lot of waisted foam...
    I often combine them together by a shot of glue to obtain a bigger usable piece. I'm so foxy.
    Otherwise you can use them to built that :

[​IMG]

In brightest day, in blackest night,
    No evil shall escape my sight...

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  40. mizuno hadouken

Can't wait for the MkIII files! That'll be the next suit I work on.

41. 7sinzz

7sinzz Well-Known Member

Whoop iron woman. My bird is gonna be lookin hot!

42. EyeofSauron

EyeofSauron Master Member

Re: FOAM speed-building files'n'tricks : mkIII to come...

i have to say, your mk7 files are very good. i started out using the files in darksides thread, until i found out you had files here too. they are somehow easier (maybe im just getting more used to foam)

43. JFcustom

JFcustom Sr Member

Re: FOAM speed-building files'n'tricks : added Dancin_Fool's Iron Man MkII/III

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG] Dancin_Fool's Iron Man MkII/MkIII- JFcustomized foam files.

To go at simplest, every detail missing from the original model (grids, holes, screws, notches, indentations...) will have to be added manualy afterward by directly sculpting them into the foam. Please refer to Dancin_Fool's files or included ref pics.

44. Dancin_Fool

Great job on simplifying the model. I'm really looking forward to seeing some builds!

45. mizuno hadouken

I'm on this once I recover from knee surgery!

46. bugman72

bugman72 Active Member

Any chance of you tackling any of the MkVI pieces? I'm almost finished with the upper torso (everything from the cod up, less the helmet). I am waiting until the very end to do the helmet because I want it to be as perfect as possible. I am using Stealth's files, but would love to see what you could do with the MkVI helmet. Since the helmet is probably the biggest focal point of the suit, I want it to be the best it can be.

47. JFcustom

JFcustom Sr Member

In fact, MkVI is the same as MkIV, eccept for the brace and the chest part that need a triangular hole to receive the triangular arc reactor. Therefore, you can pick up any other file you want from my MkIV files package. Including the helmet.

48. bugman72

bugman72 Active Member

Good to know. I haven't actually compared the suits Mk to Mk very closely. Looks like I'll be messing around with your MkIV helmet soon, then. :)

49. Kurtis876

Kurtis876 Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

hey there JF, great job on the Mark III DF foam! Question... How does one print with the polygons overlapping page breaks?

That is, since the 2D shapes carry from one page to another, covering more than one page, how do you print without messing it up? thank you!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  50. EyeofSauron

EyeofSauron Master Member

i have no problem printing through the page breaks. you just print it, the spaces between the pages are there anyway, as it calculates itself. as long as its side by side, you can just line up the lines after you printed it and cut it out. then tape it together, and trace it to foam.