JFcustom's FOAM files

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by JFcustom, May 24, 2012.

1. GRINCH

GRINCH Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Re: FOAM speed-building files'n'tricks : added IM mk6.

My biggest problem is knowing when to make the angled cuts! This weekend is my 3rd attempt. Not giving this up!!

2. JFcustom

JFcustom Sr Member

It's simple as possible : each time the surface of the armor makes an angular outward inflection (not a simple curve, but an real palpable angle), you must make the angled cuts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  3. Reedy26

Reedy26 New Member

JFcustom, I've Using your modified files and I'm 6' tall, 185lbs so I'm pretty height/weight proportionate. When I started my mk4 build I started with the fore arm pieces first, but upon building they turned out way to narrow near the elbow. I ended up having to scale up 20% to get it to fit right. Seemed like a lot to me and I'm worried about the rest of the suit. I'm on the clock (Halloween) so do you think I'm better off doing all my pieces at +20% in order to keep scale and minimize reworks?

4. JFcustom

JFcustom Sr Member

You know, the model used is set for a 6' guy, but it has been originally designed to be built in paper. Paper has no thickness. The more thick is your foam, the more narrow will be your armor parts. But overscaling every part up to 120% will also increase the final height of your suit up to 120% too...
    For reference, I'm 5'10" for 150lbs, and I kept the 6' scale for my whole mk4 suit, using a 6.5mm thin foam.
    I know that some of us happend to add manually extra foam pieces to enlarge some parts, making them wider but not heigher nor longer.
    You can also have a look at here : [HowTo] Fine tuning of Pepakura foam parts' size.

5. Reedy26

Reedy26 New Member

I was wondering about how important the foam thickness played. I got the anti fatigue mats from harbor freight and they are about 3/8" thick, but even if they were 1/4" that would only net me an 1/8" per side and not enough. I did get some 5mm foam today as well. I think I'm going to use that for the arms/legs and use the thicker stuff for the chest and back. Thanks for the help btw. Great write ups

6. jjones

jjones Active Member

Hey JF wanted to post a pic of my finished suit since I used your templates.. thanks for the work you did, made my job that much easier!!!

[​IMG]

7. TK9120

TK9120 Sr Member

That looks awesome. Nicely built and the proportions look good too. The helmet looks nice as well. Great job.

8. jjones

jjones Active Member

Thanks! Put some serious time and effort into this to make it worthy of the RPF

9. GRINCH

GRINCH Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow that is an amazing build! Is this your first time working with foam? Fit's you like a glove.

10. JFcustom

JFcustom Sr Member

Thanks to you. I've been following your build for long, since you started posting on theleagueofheroes. It's finally done now, and it seems that it has been sculpted in a single part ! May I suggest just a last detail to reach perfection ? Here : Iron Man Mark IV & VI Upper Thigh Part Pattern

11. jjones

jjones Active Member

Thanks!! this is actually my second build I did this one last summer.

[​IMG]

12. jjones

jjones Active Member

thanks again!! Already have the cut out and rubber coated will prime and paint this weekend

13. Reedy26

Reedy26 New Member

I figured it out last night. It wasn't the scale that was the problem, it was a mistake on my part. When I was gluing the "elbow pad" the top back part of the fore arm up, I cut 2 45 degree angles and ended up gluing the sides at a straight 90 degree angle. after looking at the pep model again I noticed its a compound bend. The first is outward at about 45degrees then another bend. When I did this the width came out perfect. Just wish I had seen that befor cutting the entire forearm out and wasting a lot of foam. Oh we'll, lesson learned!

14. JFcustom

JFcustom Sr Member

I'm quoting myself, if it can help, about how to get a pivoting elbow instead of gluing it to the forearm.

15. JFcustom

JFcustom Sr Member

16. JFcustom

JFcustom Sr Member

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  17. mark0017

mark0017 Well-Known Member

Re: FOAM speed-building files'n'tricks : Sharkhead IM helmet

Your lines on that helmet have come out super clean JFcustom, i may try that enhanced helmet for my second build...thanks for throwing it up there mate:cool

18. Kurtis876

Kurtis876 Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

JF that helmet is amazing. I'd ask how you do it... but I kind of see it...I just can't fathom it haha

thanks for all of your input, and your edits!

you are truly a master of the foam. great work as usual!

19. Mr Tallpirate

Mr Tallpirate Member

JFCustom: Very cool foam helmet PDO but how do you get the alignment points in Pep Designer? It seems easier to trace bigger pieces on to foam so I don't have so many pieces to glue together.

Thanks!

20. iMan

iMan Well-Known Member

That is the nicest and cleanest foam helmet I have ever seen. And I second to what Mr Tallpirate said about how to properly align the peices for printing

21. xpst500

xpst500 Member

the sharkhead7854 foam link is broken. its not opening in chrome or internet explorer for me. anyone else having this problem? its opening on wintershade.com pointing to the pdo file but not opening at all.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  22. STEALTH

STEALTH Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

false :thumbsdown

23. Kurtis876

It was broken for me in Safari actually, but it worked just fine in Chrome. I'm running Version 22.0.1229.94 of chrome on OSX 10.7.5 on a MBpro.

24. xpst500

xpst500 Member

Didnt mean to jack this awesome thread like this. I have the same version of chrome youre using.

25. DirtyBrit

DirtyBrit New Member

Awesome post...wish I had seen this before I tried mine!,, nice job.

26. STEALTH

I don't think you jacked the thread at all.

27. docholiday78

docholiday78 Sr Member

you are the yoda of foam building man, best foam helmet:)

28. STEALTH

I will have to agree with that. JF has really unleashed the force on foam builds

lame, I know.

29. JFcustom

JFcustom Sr Member

No matter wich web browser is yours, my hosting server stays online 99.9% of the time. You simply had no luck with the remaining 0.01%.
    When it happens, try again later...

Well, it seems you all like this helmet. Sadely these templates can be used only if your can get foam sheets larger than a standard paper sheet.

To print this file correctly, you'll have to tick "print alignment marks for multiple pages" in "setting / print setting". Then, cut away the top and left margins of each page and tape them together in the same layout order than in the pepakura 2D view to obtain a laaarge single paper sheet. Then, cut out your paper pieces just like they are.

For further infos, completing pdo and helmet needed seven consecutive hours. With two kids and a wife and a job, the real challenge was to find these seven consecutive hours alone at home. I hate spreading my building time in short laps, it resets my concentration. I used my sempiternal 7mm polyethylene foam (i guess it's plastazote because it looks like, but it's writen nowhere).
    The guy I'll send it wants to try molding/casting process of it and the rest of the suit to get at the end a full-plastic suit. That's why I especially had to care about each seam and jointure so they appear as clean as possible.

To do so, here's a reminder of the required tips :

Avoid glue overflow

bad -> [​IMG]
    good -> [​IMG]

mountains and valleys on a single piece of foam

[​IMG]

angle cuts

[​IMG]

half steps

[​IMG]

In the case you could be called to think the other side is an ugly failure, here are some additional views :

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The full suit is complete and will be parceled soon, I'll take pics before packing it.

_

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  30. STEALTH

that foam you're using looks incredibly soft.

31. JFcustom

JFcustom Sr Member

It's a chance, because it's also the cheapest I could find.
    But in return, since it's provided in rolls, every piece I cut up always wants to spring back to its rolled shape. As a result I have to cut each piece in the way of the width or the heigh of the roll, but never in slantwise or the final armor part is distorded. The same problem for symetrical parts : the same foam piece for both leg for example must be cutted out in the same way, or your legs are not strictly identic.
    It leads to an incredible amount of waisted foam.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  32. Graphic Jordan

Graphic Jordan Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

* that Iron Man lid is incredibly fantastic considering it's made of foam.

33. BaseZero

BaseZero Active Member

Awesome job on this thread and the file mods. Thanks. Think I may have found my new helmet approach. (Halloween is coming, gotta hurry!)

34. javamonsoon

javamonsoon New Member

I don't know if it's me or what, but I am unable to view any pictures uploaded to wintershade. Is there a way I can get around this?

35. 7sinzz

7sinzz Well-Known Member

Base zero. I'm currently 7 days into a 14 day speed build using jf's mk3 files, including full time job and I'm more than half complete. These files are awesome. Next Friday is the deadline.

I'll post a picture once he's complete. You will defo get it done by Halloween. One thing I did notice, because of the thickness of the foam, pretty much all the helmet files are to small for me. I'm 22.5 inch cranium lol. So I upped the scale on this one a bit.

36. JFcustom

JFcustom Sr Member

From 288 foam pieces...

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

...to a full markIV suit :

[​IMG] [​IMG]

And here are some close'ups of the way I use the overlaps to build quite cleanly most of a suit's parts. Here, a back part.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  37. Mr Tallpirate

Mr Tallpirate Member

Excellent work, JFCustom!! I hope my foam helmet turns out like that (on my fourth one now).

Couple of questions for you:

1) Did your helmet allow you to get your head inside it without having to remove the bottom back piece closest to the neck?

2) Do you have a recommendation for cutting smooth curves into 4mm or 6mm foam sheets? I just can't get clean round or curved cuts even with brand new Xacto knife blades. I attached a photo below of my lower forearm build (6mm foam)

3) I really like how your boots came out..what thickness of foam are they?

Thanks so much!

Cheers :)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  38. JFcustom

JFcustom Sr Member

Hi Mr Tallpirate, thanks for the feedback :)

1- My helmet allow me to put my head inside without removing anything, since I haven't glued the line between the front of the ear and the back of the jaw. I only have to splay it in two so my head can slip inside. When releasing it holds back its shape.
    But the helmet shown above is not sized for me, and anyway it has been buit on demand in a single solidary part in order to be molded and casted. So are the boots, the neck, and all other parts we can't wear without cutting them somewhere.

2- cutting successfully smooth curves is always possible. Depending of the flexibility of the foam, pivoting the blade while moving it forward can be more or less arduous. With smooth foam it goes alone, as simple as you were drawing this same curve with a pen. But the more dense, thick, and rigid is the foam, the more you'll have to proceed 'jerkily', just like you where sawing a woodboard. But a very small woodboard and with a very small saw. Or a tattooist's stylus. Or the head of a dot matrix printer. Make several and several tiny up and down movements with an order of magnitude of few millimeters, and all in the meanwhile keep your blade fairly turned in the direction of the curve you want to follow. In principle the blade won't break, and at the end you'll obtain the clean curve you wanted. It is a slow process, and quickly boring, but you shouldn't stop and restart in the middle of a cut.
    It doesn't work every time for very tight turns, like the top of the tree vents of your forearm. Here, a dremel can be welcome, or some coping saw. The best remains a scroll saw.

3- always my same favorite 7mm polyethilene foam from Oxylane fitness mats. Gives some few drawbacks which I'm used to, but it's so cheap I don't want to buy another kind! Available in red yellow blue and dark grey. Moded pep files for the boots shared here in the first post.

I think I'll have time enough tomorrow to edit and build a mkVIII helmet in the same vein. I didn't start anything yet for halloween... It will be the very rush.

39. Kurtis876

JF... are you kidding me? AWESOME... it looks like that thing was machine made. I agree that the foam looks different than what I've seen. Wish I could find it in the states! great work

40. Mr Tallpirate

Mr Tallpirate Member

JF, Thanks for your detailed response. Much appreciated.

I was wondering if a hot knife would help cut the thicker foam (6mm and 4mm) curves much easier than Xacto/hobby knives. Would you recommend this?

Thanks

41. JFcustom

JFcustom Sr Member

A hot knife... I can't say, because I don't know. I've never used any hot knife, but if cuting foam is its vocation, it probably works well.

42. Mr Tallpirate

Mr Tallpirate Member

43. JFcustom

JFcustom Sr Member

Hope you'll let me know if it's worth, and if it does not melt the foam down too much...

___

Pics of today's try at an unfold/build of a mkVIII helmet.

(I've removed this wip pdo. You'll find the final *.pdo file few posts below...)

Can anyone tell me whose model it seams to be, so I can add name and credit ?
    Edit : ok, found. Thank you guys.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  44. mark0017

mark0017 Well-Known Member

Re: FOAM speed-building files'n'tricks : #mk8 IM helmet

That helmet looks like the files from trojanwr21 mate, you'll have to ask him for confirmation...hope that helps

45. gaiatron

gaiatron Well-Known Member

46. Blackdynamo2

Blackdynamo2 Well-Known Member

Wow! JFcustoms, You are awesome!..... No more words......

47. JFcustom

JFcustom Sr Member

Thanks. It appears it's basically Labsic's model. I'll have to perform some minor edits to make it more foam-friendly before releasing a definitive *.pdo.
    I don't want anyone to be upset, but in my opinion I find its global shape closer to the 'real' one than skylu3Design's attempt, which for its part may seem rounder and somehow more freestyle. I'll have a go to it too later.

48. JFcustom

JFcustom Sr Member

49. JFcustom

JFcustom Sr Member

Re: FOAM speed-building files'n'tricks : Labsic's mk8 IM helmet

Damned!
    Was about to glue all night long... and I've just broke the trigger of my glue gun. :facepalm :cry
    The real life is much too pragmatic.

My Holy Destiny turns into going to bed.:lol

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  50. 7sinzz

7sinzz Well-Known Member

JF as always I'd like to thank you for all your effort and hard work. I'd like to show you some pictures of a suit I made using your files. It was a project with a very strict 14 day deadline, completed in 13.5 days, the first 2 of which were spent mentally preparing, so 11.5 day build total. I also have a full time job and completed 2 characters in resident evil 6 during these 14 days, so this is PROOF anyone can do it.

The suit was made for a guy that lives miles away from me and was scaled to his exact size using tons of measurements sent by text.

It's a piece I am VERY proud of so I can't thank you enough. The pictures do NOT do this suit justice. The finish is an extremely glossy pearl nightfire red and solar gold which literally gleams.

Here is the new owner in the completed suit (he's been advised to pull the thighs up):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012