JFcustom's FOAM files

Okay, one more question for the expert folks here....

I'm trying to learn the ropes of converting for foam in pepakura. Say I have a piece like this:

pep_piece.png

if I want to try to pull that wonky flap in to make this all one continuous (rectangular) piece, is there a way to do that? I've been trying the "join edges" feature, but I can't seem to get that to pull that piece in and close the gap. Instead, it seems to make other cuts to compensate.

Perhaps this isn't doable, but if anyone knows how, I'd love the help!

Long time no talk, Mike!

I guess my approach has been, better safe than sorry, especially in working with foam, just because it's not as easy as just 'reheat and remove', you know? I have lost magnetism on non-neodynums both from hot glue and from soldering leads, but I'm thinking maybe it becomes negligible on neodynums because they are already pulling at such a higher rate.

Oh maybe then... I only used high rated neodymium magnets. N45 and up. That could be the difference.

Okay, one more question for the expert folks here....

I'm trying to learn the ropes of converting for foam in pepakura. Say I have a piece like this:

View attachment 516555

if I want to try to pull that wonky flap in to make this all one continuous (rectangular) piece, is there a way to do that? I've been trying the "join edges" feature, but I can't seem to get that to pull that piece in and close the gap. Instead, it seems to make other cuts to compensate.

Perhaps this isn't doable, but if anyone knows how, I'd love the help!

Probably not the solution you're looking for, but this is how I handle it -

pep_piece_edit.png

There's still a couple of splits, but less annoying. And you can cut around the border without cutting out the splits to make a smooth template

I know from looking at some of the JFcustoms unfolds, like the "overlap" parts of the Deathstroke helmets, there's a way to hide those edges. I just don't know it.

Probably not the solution you're looking for, but this is how I handle it -

View attachment 517715

There's still a couple of splits, but less annoying. And you can cut around the border without cutting out the splits to make a smooth template

I know from looking at some of the JFcustoms unfolds, like the "overlap" parts of the Deathstroke helmets, there's a way to hide those edges. I just don't know it.

Thanks! I'll give this a try. It's certainly movement in the right direction. The final product is what matters, right? :)

I haven't noticed that heat has any effect on a magnets strength. If it does then it is negligible. I often use hot glue for temporary/semi-permanent bonds with magnets and not just that but I use a small heat blower to further melt the hot glue and spread it very thinly over the magnet (400 degrees). This causes the magnet to heat up a great deal more than just the hot glue on the magnet itself and often takes several minutes to cool down. The magnets seem to have the same pull that they did before. I would have to use testing equipment to tell if there is a difference.

I use epoxy to bond it permanently. A thin layer works pretty well., also haven't noticed weakening of the magnets due to heat. But I will try using the soldering gun trick that laellee mentioned to harden the edges of the hole first. That's neat.

Little update on my Mark 4 foam suit. It's been a long summer w/the family, & kids have finally settled into school. That gave me some time to begin working on my suit again. The mannequin has a gangster lean, so the pieces actually line up alot better when I'm wearing it. Just need to remake the helmet (kids destroyed the one in the pic), then paint the hands, neckseal & shins. Then on to wiring the repulsors. Again, JFcustom, sharkman, & robo your files are all awesome, in ease & detail! Thanks to the community for all the support & help! Hope to have my son's Master Chief costume done by Halloween, maybe I'll have some pics of that. Once again, BIG shout out to all the people on the RPF thanks!!
Mk4 +.JPG

Would anyone be interested in building a JFcustom MK 4 suit for me? It's cheap and fast to build, and I would be happy to compensate you for your time! I'm a student on a budget without the knowledge or huge amounts of money to build one myself or get a super high-end suit, but would be more than happy for someone to help me out and pay them as much as I can :)

I have a newbie question. How do I scale the Batman Arkham orgins cowl for my head size ?

Thanks for the information and resources. I am new to crafting costumes and Ive decided I want to give the Arkham Orgins Batman Cowl a go. I understand how to print them and glue the sheets together and transfer them to foam. I watched some videos you had in regards to cutting it out and hills and valley lines. But I am unsure how I would take measurements and scale the .PDO

Thank you kindly

I have a newbie question. How do I scale the Batman Arkham orgins cowl for my head size ?

Thanks for the information and resources. I am new to crafting costumes and Ive decided I want to give the Arkham Orgins Batman Cowl a go. I understand how to print them and glue the sheets together and transfer them to foam. I watched some videos you had in regards to cutting it out and hills and valley lines. But I am unsure how I would take measurements and scale the .PDO

Thank you kindly
Easiest way to measure your head is to close a door on your head and measure the gap between door and frame to get the width. Then open the file in pepakura, click the 2d window button at the top of screen and select adjust scale, then select manual adjust his will open a box with height width and depth measurements, you can only change one measurement and the other two will automatically change to suit the scale. Remember to add a bit of room for the fibreglass and the padding

is there a different link to some of the files, like the starlords helmet or arkham deathstroke most of the links just open a new viewer window with what looks like a bunch of blocks and symbols.
thank you.

is there a different link to some of the files, like the starlords helmet or arkham deathstroke most of the links just open a new viewer window with what looks like a bunch of blocks and symbols.
thank you.

Right click the link, then click "save link as" or similar option. It will want to save it as a text file. Let it do that; it'll save as a PDO. Then open in pepakura! Win!

I've never tried something like this, but I'm gonna give the Hawkgirl helmet a go. I saw a few different thicknesses of foam mentioned for various parts of the build, but was wondering if there was ever a consensus as to what ended up working the best? any other pointers would be great too, if there's anything to offer.

I've seen XRobot's plastic coating video,so I know it to work,but I couldn't help wondering if there was a time limit for the SmoothOn 65D liquid to be applied over the PVA glue,since PVA will become sticky again when in contact with fluid? Just wondering...

I've seen XRobot's plastic coating video,so I know it to work,but I couldn't help wondering if there was a time limit for the SmoothOn 65D liquid to be applied over the PVA glue,since PVA will become sticky again when in contact with fluid? Just wondering...

That's a good thing and the reason the two bond to each other. Once the first coat of 65D has set it's no longer an issue anyway.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back