JFcustom's FOAM files

I am not sure what a 3D modeler needs in order to duplicate it.Anyone else?

Good reference images from as many different angles as possible and the higher the resolution the better. Animation model sheets are good since they're very clean and the middle can work directly of of them, failing that then promo art, CD/DVD/Blu-Ray covers, or screen grabs would work.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Foam requires a lot less cutting (besides obviously using foam and not paper lol), but at the sacrifice of some detail. Also, your work area might help decide what you'd prefer to use; Paper pepakura is typically hardened with fiberglass resin or epoxy, and the chemicals involved can make it difficult to work with in enclosed spaces. If I was just starting out, I would probably try foam first to get the hang of things. :)

If I'm not mistaken, is also better suited for producing a wearable piece; from what I've seen of Pep jobs people seem to mostly use it for creating a master that they'd mold and cast from. I think they do this because all of the Bondo used tends to make things a bit heavy to wear comfortably.

If I'm not mistaken, is also better suited for producing a wearable piece; from what I've seen of Pep jobs people seem to mostly use it for creating a master that they'd mold and cast from. I think they do this because all of the Bondo used tends to make things a bit heavy to wear comfortably.

this is correct, foam builds tend to have more flexibility making them easier to move about when wearing them, also its alot lighter than fibreglass and resin. on the other hand fibreglass and ressin does not bend and flex so the paintjob will last alot longeer, its down to personal preference really.

So I've been looking around for the Pep file for Juggernaut's mask from Dota2. I've found a few files, with no password...but then I realized if I wanna make it out of foam (which I do) I'd have to have a Pep file specifically made for foam. I haven't seen one around yet, so I was wondering if anyone has made that file? I know it was asked earlier (way earlier), and wasn't sure if that request had been answered.

So I've been looking around for the Pep file for Juggernaut's mask from Dota2. I've found a few files, with no password...but then I realized if I wanna make it out of foam (which I do) I'd have to have a Pep file specifically made for foam. I haven't seen one around yet, so I was wondering if anyone has made that file? I know it was asked earlier (way earlier), and wasn't sure if that request had been answered.

If you link to the pep, someone else may be willing to reunfold it for foam. Usually the same original pep model can be converted to a foam unfold without too much trouble.

If you link to the pep, someone else may be willing to reunfold it for foam. Usually the same original pep model can be converted to a foam unfold without too much trouble.

I would love to, but unfortunately that Pep file has a password on it, something that I have yet to find. I've been scouring but apparently no one wants to openly say it, and if they have it's in another language lol. I asked on some spanish website using google translate so...maybe I'll get lucky.

Good reference images from as many different angles as possible and the higher the resolution the better. Animation model sheets are good since they're very clean and the middle can work directly of of them, failing that then promo art, CD/DVD/Blu-Ray covers, or screen grabs would work.

Can I send you the reference images or you have someone in mind to help me out for this particular request of the Guyver 2?

Template: Iron Man MK 4
Foam Used: 1/4" rolled EVA foam from Harbor Freight and 5mm 12"x9" EVA foam from Hobby Lobby
Me: 5"7", 225lbs ( yeah, overweight, I know, but I'm working on it - need to get thinner so the abs look correct. :)

I started this build last week and I have to admit I'm enjoying working with foam - I've tried paper and cardboard a year or so ago and didn't get too far, but I decided to give another try after finding this thread. Anyway, I've finished a boot (which fit fine) and a thigh ( which is where the problem occurs ). I didn't bother rescaling the piece before printing - so I know there's a 4" different between my height and the original scale of 6'. Other people on here have said they didn't bother with the scale either and it worked ok for them. So I ended up with a piece that was too long, but it is also too narrow for my upper leg. I know I'm a bit overweight- but very little of that fat is in my legs - they are rather skinny.

So my question is this - how do I scale for more space inside the piece without add any additional length to it?

Thanks.

The Pepakura file is already unfolded for that specific model, which is the reason why you can't mess with the width or height without them all scaling in the same ratio. Whatever pieces you need to add to, find a good area (I usually make mine on the back) and just cut to add the thickness you need. If it's only at a portion, just make a v cut and add at those areas. I usually have to add width to the torso, ab, and waist (cod) areas with every build. But just build and then modify to fit, that is the best part about foam.

HI guys, this is my first build and I tried to read as much as I could before asking this, but does anyone know why my Star lord helmets ears wouldn't line up? I measured everything twice. The pen line is where it is supposed to go. I used poster board as it was easier to cut.
starlord.JPG

any help would be appreciated. and I am finding out how hard this is, so props to all you who do this with foam.

does anyone know why my Star lord helmets ears wouldn't line up? I measured everything twice. The pen line is where it is supposed to go.
View attachment 475973

The PDO makes it look like there should be a mountain fold right there around the ear piece. Some builds, you want to lay the foam piece right on top of the other one, but this one makes it look like the ear piece curves around and sits on top of the helmet piece.

Unless I'm looking at your picture wrong and don't see what you're pointing out.

I wanted to wait till I read through the entire thread before asking any questions. Turns out, no more questions! And while reading through everything, I put together the Vanquish ARS helmet. I never played the game, but the armor looked hawt.

I sized the helmet wrong, which was 100% my bad, and it ended up being quite large. My son liked it regardless and I decided I'd finish it for him.

Since it was a test build to see if I could move forward with a future project, I wasn't worried about the unevenness in some places. I learned a lot, being it's a complicated piece, so it was an overall win.

Harbor Freight 1/4 inch diamond print EVA mat. Considering the helmet being oversized 10% for my already oversized head, it wasn't too much foam.

After assembly, used my soldering iron to do some detail work.

Glued the strap on one side, magnet on the other to make it detachable and have room for my noggin while pulling it on and off.

Painted with white glue and white Plasti Dip

Stretched some Spandex/Lycra type material over foam pieces for visibility.

Painted in the lines and details, and dirtied up the plasti dip with acrylic paints.

It went together without too much going wrong. I'm still debating how I want to handle the mouth visor (so my mouth can see) because I'm afraid cutting out the foam in the visor spot will change shape of the helmet all around, so I think I'm just going to spray some Krylon mirror spray paint on the inside of a blue tinted notebook folder and glue it right on top of the foam. A little more weathering and some soft foam inside for support is all that remains.

Very fun build. Thanks, JF.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back