Jedi hover droid

burn

Hello Guys

After seeing the video on youtube with real hovering training droid, I really wanted to make one of those as its pretty brilliant!!
I got in contact with the owner of the video and got some tips regarding building it.

I aquired same hover globe as on the video. It is called IFO 3000 Floating Globe, which use big electromagnets to keep ball in the air.

1. Firstly removed decals, which was quite easy, as it was a shrink wrapped graphic of the map.
2. The globe is made out of two halves which u can separate. Inside one of them is powerful magnet. Second one if empty
3. Using 1p coins , we need to check the maximum weight of a ball. The best is to use electronic food scale.

CopyofIMG_0122.jpg

I went to that point at the moment.
Got my soft foam craft sheet from art shop, for the elements on the droid.
I have been told that great way to get the "lasers" look it to get cap from the small bubble container which they give away on the weddings.
The reason they need to be substituted with those is that otherwise, metal rings would weight it down which we dont want.
Besides the IFO3000 is 5'' ball and the original JEDI HOVER DROID is 6'' so it would be out of scale if i would find similar to original laser points.

Now im preparing to mark all the positions of elements on the ball and then start to cut the foam down to the pieces.
I shall post the images once i will get to that point.

(i have very little free time to do anything , as parenting taking his toll :pPP)

Hope you like the idea

Pete

Nope, on youtube is user called troopertrent who made the one i attempt to do. That guy is a great inspiration to me, :))

Here is his build thread

http://www.therpf.com/f9/real-hovering-jedi-training-remote-finished-32765/

On the last page, and maybe the page before that, I listed a lot of info I found on the actual model parts used on the remote from other Remote building threads. A lot of other people worked very hard and were very generous to share the info with me. There is a lot there if you want to try and built an accurate floating remote.

I ended up taking the easy way out and bought the Master Replicas.

There was a question of weight but I think it can be done.

Last edited:
Just noticed this link was already posted. Ohwell, you got it twice.

My idea was to take two 6 inch hemishperes and put the magnets in them. If that would not fit just order one of the six inch versions which they do have several of.

Oh i see. Thanks guys. Im contact with troopertrent so im sure ill give him a shout ;). Thanks for pointing it out ;))

Hey burn, I'll be the first to admit, my training remote isn't the most accurate. I just happened to be the first one to make one that hovered after years of people saying it couldn't be done. I'm happy to help. Hopefully you can make yours more accurate than mine. Let me know if you have questions.

Hey burn, I'll be the first to admit, my training remote isn't the most accurate. I just happened to be the first one to make one that hovered after years of people saying it couldn't be done. I'm happy to help. Hopefully you can make yours more accurate than mine. Let me know if you have questions.

When I first saw yours, before I chickened out and bought the MR I was gonna make one out of the 6" floating globe. Use some parts that had to be original like the rims, lighter material for anything else. I'm sure an accurate one can be done.

Accurate or not your is still awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back