Jedi Comlink - Need help to identify components

^Would it be possible to dye the rubber with Rit or some similar dye? I know it works on vinyl and rubber.

On the comlink I have, I actually did just paint the grips as-is and I haven't had too much trouble. There's a been a little flaking but not enough to show through to the base color. If you put on a thick coat of paint and don't rub the grips too much, it seems to work.

Or you could use a flexible, water-based paint, like an acrylic for canvas paintings or something.

f52664comlink%20014m120.jpg
heres what I've done so far. I used the seastrom solder lugs, painting wasnt bad. would like to do the version that has the 4 prong top like in TMP. I have no clue what is used to make it either, glad to see this prop being brought up again.

heres what I've done so far. I used the seastrom solder lugs, painting wasnt bad. would like to do the version that has the 4 prong top like in TMP. I have no clue what is used to make it either, glad to see this prop being brought up again.
Hey, are those screen accurate or just a close model of the solder lugs? are those pin matrix like the ones used or just repros? and I am glad someone care about this prop after so many years.

Wolverine- What was the damage costwise for the seastrom lugs? Where did you get those control pins? As far as the attachment piece. Those tube style legos might work- Theres some more moding too do

Didn't this thing go on tour with the exhibits- Anyone find any other images of it outside of the visual guide stuff. The unfindable hinge on the back of Qui Gon's comlink could be handmade from a sheet of dental wax.

The tri-screws are #3 aircraft screws. There are markings on the heads including a 3 in a circle which means they are specifically for aircraft. I have some from a board member who works on aircraft, but the smallest he found was #4.
I also have some plain ones (no #3) which seem to be about the right size.

Matt Munson made a great resin kit awhile back which is what I have (yet to be built). He resin cast the rubber section of the razor for easy painting.

I'd always thought those looked a lot like the open spaces in the middle of certain retaining clips, like maybe the prop people got their hands on some scrap metal that was punched out of the middle of the clips.
After I played with some of them I realized that were not used in this prop due their shape and angle. So I will try to get those tri-beads. Tried today in the local market and was impossible, so I guess I will have to import them.

the pins are correct ones, the solder lugs are whats listed to be the closest to the right ones. I emailed seastrom ahead and told them I didnt need that big of an order. its been about 2 years since then I only paid like 50 for the batch that I got.

the pins are correct ones, the solder lugs are whats listed to be the closest to the right ones. I emailed seastrom ahead and told them I didnt need that big of an order. its been about 2 years since then I only paid like 50 for the batch that I got.
Wow! I love them. Do you remember the model number? Could they be the Model #5403 mentioned in POSW?

And where did you buy those matrix pins? I will really appreciate your help. And by the way, we don´t have those orange Razors here, only the green ones :$

pins I got off a member here 2 years ago also when I first tried making one. not sure if that member is here anymore or not. left them alone despite the 3 that I made before in the hopes a thread would come along and make the kind used in TMP and episode 3. the solder lugs are the same as listed in the parts of star wars site. havent seen any of these razors at walmart or walgreens anymore either, glad I got a few extras when I did.

As I am writing this I already opened the razor, removed the back grip, the blade holder, and the cut the border grip. I am closing it right now :love. I want to start taking measurements to determine the approximate measurements of all components involved.

About the matrix pins and #3 tri-wings screws I will ask my future brother in law. He is currently working in the airport. He is aeronautic technician. If someone here is close to those things, will be him :rolleyes

Keep you posted guys.

As I am writing this I already opened the razor, removed the back grip, the blade holder, and the cut the border grip. I am closing it right now :love. I want to start taking measurements to determine the approximate measurements of all components involved.

About the matrix pins and #3 tri-wings screws I will ask my future brother in law. He is currently working in the airport. He is aeronautic technician. If someone here is close to those things, will be him :rolleyes

Keep you posted guys.
I bought the razor and a whole slew of pins here a bit ago. I am watching this thread intently for any other things you find out.

Good news! I just spoke with my brother in law. Sent him the photos and he recognized both components. He will do his best to get some of them tomorrow. Matrix pins are electrical pins and the tri-wings screw are very known for them. He will look for that #3 one, the other marks identify clearly the screw, but from the photo you can read only the 3 inside the circle. We will see.

On the original props the raised "Gilette" name was covered by other parts added by the prop department. IMO, if it's going to show on your finished Comlink it should be removed; if it won't show, why do the extra work?

On the original props the raised "Gilette" name was covered by other parts added by the prop department. IMO, if it's going to show on your finished Comlink it should be removed; if it won't show, why do the extra work?
That´s what I thought but was not completely sure. I mean, If you are looking for a prototype replica or the screen used, the Gillette brand will be hidden under that stuff held by the two tri-wings screws, but If you are looking for customize it, then, you will be obliged to hide it. That´s the dilemma.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back