I need one more Sabacc credit, please help.

NakedMoleRat

Master Member
This set of rocks in the little cage is the last credit that I’ve been after.

Can my good friends help me identify the metal that’s used for the cage? For that matter, anything else that you see in it too.

Help me RPF Kenobi, you’re my only hope.

Thanks,

1716784973515.jpeg

Situations like this really stink because of all the 3d printing today… is this really a metal grate they found/modifed. Or is it a print..

Looking at the patina it sure looks like some kind of metal to me…

Some of the intersections have like “decay” in between them too..

This set of rocks in the little cage is the last credit that I’ve been after.

Can my good friends help me identify the metal that’s used for the cage? For that matter, anything else that you see in it too.

Help me RPF Kenobi, you’re my only hope.

Thanks,

View attachment 1824283
I may be answering the wrong question, but to me, it like like a small protective cage for an industrial light or switch. Maybe like these, but smaller...

Could've been plated brass with the plating removed? Coming from an industrial mindset, that's what it looked like to me. The two screws on the end could've originally been used to connect the cage to a hinge for access to the switch.

Situations like this really stink because of all the 3d printing today… is this really a metal grate they found/modifed. Or is it a print..

Looking at the patina it sure looks like some kind of metal to me…

Some of the intersections have like “decay” in between them too..
True. In the bonus feature, they also said that some of the background table credits were painted dog treats! Not making it up!

I think I've found what it was...

Vintage Flower Frog

Screenshot_20240527-201109.png

They seem to come in several shapes & sizes, & are used to keep flowers in place for vases or arrangements, but almost every one I've found have the same grid pattern with no connecting wires on the corners...
Screenshot_20240527-203109.png

Screenshot_20240527-203138.png

Screenshot_20240527-203246.png

Just need to find the right shape & size.

I saw several vintage ones that are made from brass as well. Hope that helps.

I may be answering the wrong question, but to me, it like like a small protective cage for an industrial light or switch. Maybe like these, but smaller...

Could've been plated brass with the plating removed? Coming from an industrial mindset, that's what it looked like to me. The two screws on the end could've originally been used to connect the cage to a hinge for access to the switch.
You are a genius

IDK man... I'm thinking my second find is closer with the flower frogs. LOL
I was figuring 3d print, couldn’t think of a real world object.. once you said that I think of every gymnasium I’ve been in.. clocks, lights, bells…

Hell you see stuff like this on battle ships… it’s everywhere

I found this on eBay. Looks about the right size but silver, could not find any brass. The grid pattern is 8 squares wide by 11 long, with the corners cut out to just 2 squares wide at 3 deep on each end. I may have to order this (now that I have a job again, corporate America sucks when when your in administration) and do some backyard electroplating.

I found this on eBay. Looks about the right size but silver, could not find any brass. The grid pattern is 8 squares wide by 11 long, with the corners cut out to just 2 squares wide at 3 deep on each end. I may have to order this (now that I have a job again, corporate America sucks when when your in administration) and do some backyard electroplating.

This is correct. Your original picture is a stamped/punched and custom flat steel. The corners were not cut afterward, they were included in the original punch. The gold color is a treatment chemical used on many non-stainless steel parts to partially waterproof them, "Zinc Electroplate" (not galvanized). The reason I say the corners were not cut from a larger sheet is because there are no grinds to clean up what would have been removed. It is a totally clean, custom die cut. Like this sketch....

20240527_233948.jpg

The sides were then folded down. The original metal is just a standard silverish sheet steel with the added coating that yellows it. If not made specifically for this project, it is a parts cage for electronics that may otherwise be fragile. But without a doubt, it is a die-cut flat steel sheet that has been zinc electroplated and then bent or bent then electroplated.

This is what the chemical treatment looks like on a bolt:

20240527_235534.jpg

I am looking for a ready made version on mcmaster-carr

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back