Jack Sparrow Costume Build by Indy Magnoli

Re: Jack Sparrow Outfit by Feb 18th... !!!

ahh yeh sorry, you are right, the one on the piece of eight is actually silver, My mistake :p

Yeh its a great PDF, I've read everything on that site countless times and every time I discover something new. When I've got the spare money I'm going to be spending a hell of a lot of time making my costume, and I couldn't do it without the information on that wiki :D

Just want to make clear that I DIDN'T write that PDF, I'm sure you all know this but I don't want people to think I'm trying to take credit for it :D

Where did you get the tricorn? I'm thinking of having a go at making my own (again from a guide I found on the jack costume wiki), nothing I've found seems to be "perfect" and anything close is too much money, If I can have a go at making it myself and learning the skills along the way I should be able to tweak it until its just right . . . if not, well . . its my hat :)

I like the material your going for with the coat, this is the one thing I'm being really fussy about and I will have to buy it from somewhere whatever it costs, I simply don't posses the skills to make one of these. So give us some pics when its done and let us know if you plan to make and sell any more?

Coming along great so far, keep us posted :)

The tricorn above was made by Captain Venno (Paul Ventriss) and he's been very helpful so far.

I'll be adding both the frock coat and waistcoat to my clothiers site once they're done. Although they'll be more expensive than other versions I've seen, they'll be full tailored (made-to-measure, not in standard sizes) and be available in countless colors, fabrics, etc.

Kind regards,
Magnoli

yeh ok, depends how much more than yordeem's then :p

At the end of the day I'd rather have it tailored, I've been cursed with long arms and If I'm gonna spend a lot of money on the coat Id rather spend a bit more to make sure it fits perfectly. :)

I got my Denix flintlock:

mag-flintlock1.jpg

First thing to do was rip it apart:

mag-flintlock2.jpg

Restaining the stock was simply, a little of 220 sandpaper, very dark brown stain and some elbow grease was all it needed. One of the big things I new I wanted to tweak was the flint hammer:

mag-flintlock3.jpg

The original is all one piece of solid cast metal. So... I dremeled out the metal "flint" and found a small rock in my backyard:

mag-flintlock4.jpg

A little grinding to reshape my "flint" and a small swatch of leather:

mag-flintlock5.jpg

Added some superglue for safety and voila:

mag-flintlock6.jpg

I lightly spray painted the brass parts silver, leaving a little brass showing through for a bit more depth of color. After reassembly:

mag-flintlock7.jpg

Not a perfect replica by any means, but as I stayed before, I usually prefer metal and wood to resin for a more real-world feel.

Kind regards,
Magnoli

any luck on your waistcoat yet? That's the next upgrade I want to do on my costume. Not OST though, DMC/AWE.

Looks like its coming together nicely! Can't wait to see it finished.

The waistcoat will likely arrive at the last minute, so fingers crossed. The great thing about this waistcoat is that I'll be able to offer it in a huge range of fabrics, colors, patterns and options.

Kind regards,
Indy

Looks like your coming along great! Don't know if you know this, but your Anna Marie Buckle is the OST version, not the DMC /AWE buckle. You might be able to remove the added pieces from the top and bottom to change it back to the correct look.

Looks like your coming along great! Don't know if you know this, but your Anna Marie Buckle is the OST version, not the DMC /AWE buckle. You might be able to remove the added pieces from the top and bottom to change it back to the correct look.

I wasn't aware that there was a difference, or I would have asked Richard specifically send a DMC/AWE buckle when I made these belts...
What parts are added to the buckle on the OST version?

- Alex

Yeh he's right, the belt opening was made smaller in OST by doubling the thickness of the top and bottom, if you look closely you can see where the design is slightly repeated. Did you say the buckles are acme? I did email them about a week ago and they will still do the DMC/AWE buckle if you request it when ordering.

I wasn't aware that there was a difference, or I would have asked Richard specifically send a DMC/AWE buckle when I made these belts...
What parts are added to the buckle on the OST version?

- Alex

annamarie%20differ.jp

A picture's worth a thousand words.......

Shylaah

I knew there was a difference but couldn't put my finger on it. I do prefer the DMC/AWE version, but unfortunately the buckle can't really be modified without an entirely new bar being put in, so I'm stuck for now.

I did some more work on my wig. I narrowed the braid on the right side, but it still looked too far back, so I made a new braid from scratch put if further forward and added a multicolored tuft at the end. I moved the top know over more to the right and added some more coins to the back.

magwig1.jpg
magwig2.jpg

Kind regards,
Magnoli

No, they are fairly floppy at the ankle. I have cardboard tubes in them right now to "train" them to wrinkle down.

Boot straps are your best friend for dealing with the boot sag, and keeping it in place.
Get yourself a pair! Put on your boot, fold up the bell, scrunch down the boot shaft to where you want it, creating those wrinkles. Wrap the boot strap around the shaft where it will be hidden when you fold the bell back down, cinch the boot strap down tight and your good to go all day! Boots will not slouch down farther and will not creep up higher on your calves!

Yeah, I was surprised these didn't have bootstraps attached. Oh well... I've got some on another pair of boots that I may borrow for the occasion.

You can make your top knot pony tail stand up more by doing what I did. I took a small diameter piece of plastic pipe, about a 1/4 inch tall and slid the entire ponytail, braid and all through it. pulled it tight to the scalp of the wig and put a dab of glue into the pipe, then covered it with the twine used to hold the pony in place. You cant see it at all, and it holds it up nicely!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back